motor options

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lay26

Supporting Member
hey guys i'm looking for a motor for another 21 rigger what do you guys suggest? reason for my question is that i would like to run novarossi but with the recent change to the larger rear bearing running the older versions is becomming harder.(you may say just buy the newer version..... but i'm considering cost) i just wanted suggestions on motors that can compete with a nova!! Happy New Year to all

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys i'm looking for a motor for another 21 rigger what do you guys suggest? reason for my question is that i would like to run novarossi but with the recent change to the larger rear bearing running the older versions is becomming harder.(you may say just buy the newer version..... but i'm considering cost) i just wanted suggestions on motors that can compete with a nova!! Happy New Year to all
#1 nova, costly but very hard to beat

#2 cmb, ok but not as good as a nova

#3 cmb valvolva, don't care for them personally

#1 nova, costly but very hard to beat

#2 cmb, ok but not as good as a nova

#3 cmb valvolva, don't care for them personally
:p What about on MAC21????? :rolleyes:

Leighton are you going to run 21 rigger this year?/ I am looking to build one but knowing you and Steve were on the fence I held back. But if you are goin to run I wil build one to open up the 21 hydro class agian. Let me know Jerry BTW Happy New Year to you and your family

personally for me the nova is the way to go.. cost more but it is ( in my opinion ) the best motor out there.

the cmb rs 21 shows some promise but havn't tried it.. I have seen them run and they run pretty good.

not sure on the valvola motor.. no experience with them.. as for the mac.. well the parts side of it is the question right now.. not sure when andy will have that squared away.

I have run nova's and mac..

I like nova rossi myself.

ya they are more money. ya the switch bearings.. but cmb does it to. and the FIT on the nova LAST ALONG TIME.

just my opinion.

chris

hey Jerry happy NEW year to you and yours!! i'm never going to give up on any of my riggers 21,45 i'm getting everything ready for hard racing this year. last year was hard for me because of atot of personal issues but having resolved them i'm back on track. i'm going to have my riggers ready to run this year if you build one it's going to be 4 boats in this class that i know of. the plan for me is to race even if it's not in dist 1 i'll be ready. the 45 whiplash will be ready too!!!

I switched from NR SS's to CMB RS 21 mid season last year for my 20 mono. Haven't had a chance to really get them singin' yet but I can say they are very well built and have lots of "trick" stuff inside. I just couldn't do that $50 Nova rear bearing thing... :blink:

I switched from NR SS's to CMB RS 21 mid season last year for my 20 mono. Haven't had a chance to really get them singin' yet but I can say they are very well built and have lots of "trick" stuff inside. I just couldn't do that $50 Nova rear bearing thing... :blink:
Gees how often do you guys change bearings? Mine last at least 2 years and when i last changed them i could have let them be

Gees how often do you guys change bearings? Mine last at least 2 years and when i last changed them i could have let them be
Hey Mikey:

Its not really the cost but more the fact that they put out a motor that can only use their bearing (I know Boca has something that'll fit, but it not much good apparently), that just sorta "rubs me the wrong way". ;)

between all the racing and testing you can go through 2 sets of bearings in a season. i try to change them at the start of the season and before the nationals in July, by that time i would have had 4 dist races alot of test sessions and possibly 2 weekend(sat/sun) races. that's my rule of thumb

A friend of mine shaved 10 seconds off his best heat time with his 20 rigger solely by switching from a CMB21RS to a Novarossi PLUS engine recently. PLUS engine Most of that gain came from the props he was able to use with the extra torque of the Nova. He ran a faster heat time than my best and I've run older nova's for years, so the new nova PLUS's are VERY fast indeed.

Yes - the rear bearing is expensive, BUT, the piston and sleeve, and the rod last longer in Nova's than other brand engines and are considerably higher cost items than the bearing.

The 16002 ceramic bearing in the PLUS engines is $75US 16002

Tim

Are you sure that is the right number for the nova bearing. It has the same number as the large bearing of the K90. You can get the set for $46 from Ron and that includes a 6000. Is there something special about the nova's bearing that the normal 16002 won't fit?

Mike

TimAre you sure that is the right number for the nova bearing. It has the same number as the large bearing of the K90. You can get the set for $46 from Ron and that includes a 6000. Is there something special about the nova's bearing that the normal 16002 won't fit?

Mike
Hi Mike,

16002 is the Novarossi part number for the new 26mm OD X 14.5mm ID Ceramic bearing in the PLUS21 engines, 16001 is non ceramic version- it is not a standard bearing number like everyone else in the world :blink: Have a look in the link I posted on my last post - there is a pic of it. The 25.4mm OD X 14mm ID bearing is Novarossi part number 16000 and the 25.8mm OD X 14mm ID is Novarossi part number 16800. I only use Genuine Novarossi rear bearings and WIB for everything else.

That does remind me though - I do need a set of bearings for my K90 :lol:

Tim.

I've been running a Frank Orlic NR 21 for 3yrs next season will be the 4th season on this motor and i have never opened the motor once and it run's the same as the day i got it , the secret (lots of oil when your done running)

I also have seen the CMB 21 Valvola run hard and fast , that motor would be my second choice.

Leighton,

Now you know I have run N/R,MAC,and now CMB. I will put my Valvola 21 up to any 21 motor on the market.

I don't think there is a problem at all with MAC 21 parts or motors. The Valvola 21 parts are available and they

fit right in the MAC 21. The way I see it, whatever motor turns up the RPM to 30,000+ RPM is going to be a good

engine. There are a few Valvola 21's turning over 35,000 RPM and I think this is the key to going fast. You just need

to figure out which motor fits your driving style,boat configuration,and most of all pocketbook. :lol:

Don,

You are correct the Greenhead Valvola 21's are all gone. Glad I have a extra one. :lol: The newest red head is

on the way,and the pricing has not been set yet. I think the new red head will be just as good or even better than

the Greenhead though. Like everything else "Time Will Tell".

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund

Mark is right the MAC21's twin brother, the Valvola 21 is a real good motor but if you are going to buy one you better find someone who has it in stock & buy it. Word thru the grapevine is the last 7 of the Valvola 21s were just purchased from Tidewater & that was the end of them. The new redhead 21 is now en route with a reported U.S. price tag that will tip the scales at just a tick above $500 each. :blink:

There is another motor out there that seems to have been overlooked, the latest OPS 21 Super. This is the most recent bluehead motor with a sleeve that bears strong resemblance to a N/R sleeve with it's additional porting. I have heard there are a few out in the midwest US that really go. Aeromarine has these listed at a $325 with pipe (I believe the 3280 pipe) on their website. If the info just passed on to me about the new CMB pricing is correct I think this little OPS might get "rediscovered". B)

Mark is right the MAC21's twin brother, the Valvola 21 is a real good motor but if you are going to buy one you better find someone who has it in stock & buy it. Word thru the grapevine is the last 7 of the Valvola 21s were just purchased from Tidewater & that was the end of them. The new redhead 21 is now en route with a reported U.S. price tag that will tip the scales at just a tick above $500 each. :blink:
There is another motor out there that seems to have been overlooked, the latest OPS 21 Super. This is the most recent bluehead motor with a sleeve that bears strong resemblance to a N/R sleeve with it's additional porting. I have heard there are a few out in the midwest US that really go. Aeromarine has these listed at a $325 with pipe (I believe the 3280 pipe) on their website. If the info just passed on to me about the new CMB pricing is correct I think this little OPS might get "rediscovered". B)
I compare the Nova to a swiss watch,no i dont own a swiss watch. A Orlic Nova is the absolute best motor out there,why its fast (2006 b-hydro champ) its expensive but it will give many more years of service than any other. Ok you say NO! well how many short stroke Novas are still running? Mine is a 2001 version I run at least 2gallons of fuel thru it a year,and anyone who has seen my PINKY knows how much RPM i turn given the rest why run any other motor esp in a mono or hydro Mikey

Latest posts

Back