monster truck engine ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well Hj there been getting away with that.. saw some at celina and some had belt starters even after market fuel tanks in them too.

At that event maybe. Did the boats with the belts still have pull starters? What class did they run in? For STOCK RTR, the engine MUST HAVE A FUNCTIONAL PULL STARTER, while for the mod classes, it's up to the club/group putting on the race. Changing fuel tanks isn't illegal for the stock classes as far as I know since fuel tanks are considered consumable items, just like glow plugs and fuel tubes

At that event maybe. Did the boats with the belts still have pull starters? What class did they run in? For STOCK RTR, the engine MUST HAVE A FUNCTIONAL PULL STARTER, while for the mod classes, it's up to the club/group putting on the race. Changing fuel tanks isn't illegal for the stock classes as far as I know since fuel tanks are considered consumable items, just like glow plugs and fuel tubes
changing fuel tanks isnt illegal?? I was told in 07 on RCU you have to have the stock fuel tank in your boat.....because when mine took a dump I'd wanted to run a after market tank.....was told it wouldnt be legas to race in RTR class.....

Misshydro, go to http://www.impba.net/ and read the RTR class rules in section H of the rule book and see what it says. The edition posted says nothing about fuel tanks but it does say STARTING BELTS ARE NOT ALLOWED. You can read more on your own starting on page H-12. There was nothing mentioned about a mod class, so you would have to contact the IMPBA directly for that information rather than listen to second hand info from someone that may not know what they're talking about

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to do that.. Joe also remember the discussion on RCU about that too in 07...

Seeing how this thread is getting way OT, let me throw in my 2 cents.

HJ, if you are referring to section H-12, read it again as that refers to Production ABS class, not the RTR class which is two different animals. The Production ABS class has never been used so I may talk to Kevin about getting it removed. Not too many boats fit into that class anymore anyway. The Traxxas Nitro-Vee, CEN Racing hulls and a Kyosho boat were about the only ones.

Here is the section of the RTR rules from page H-12:

Production RTR ( Alternative to Production ABS. Trial period 2005)

Technical Specifications

HULL - Boat hull must be of vacuum formed ABS plastic, wood, and/or fiberglass

Production RTR. All hulls must have positive buoyancy characteristics when operated, and

display colorful decals to enhance the spirit of this class. Hull lengths will be between 20 and

43 inches. Hulls may be separated by class types if sufficient boats are entered.

Propulsion and Control Systems

Single glow engines with a maximum displacement of 0.165 cubic inches may be utilized.

Starting method can be recoil or on board electric. External electric, belt start will not be

allowed. Exhaust system must remain in the stock condition as the boat was received in the

RTR box. All boats will exhibit positive engine control with full stop capability to insure

safe retrieval. Any aftermarket propellers may be used and boats will receive propulsion by

in the water propellers.

That says nothing about not being able to replace the fuel tank with another type or brand. It also doesn't mention powerplants over .165 Cu. In. as we now have not including gas, nitro boats up to .45 that qualify as RTR's.

If you went by that then many RTR's are legal as they're now running .18's.

There are known issues with the Miss Vegas tanks so many are replacing them with aftermarket ones. The radio boxes on the SV-27's are overpriced junk so those should also be replaced with a wooden one instead of someone having to pay $38.99 for another.

Note that those aren't the finalized rules either for the RTR class as what was proposed had a lot more in it.

I personally don't think it should matter if you use a different tank of the same capacity. I agree that what is posted on IMPBA site is outdated. I just saw that HJ referenced the rule book, about starter belts and posted the section of the book.

I went way to the back of this forum to see what I could scrounge up and there wasn't much. The proposal was in the June 2008 Roostertail but I can't access it.

Maybe this should be a separate thread as this one has gotten way OT.

ok getting back to the subject...I wanted to try out a HPI .36...It subpose to put out 3hp and 38.000 rpms..but we know about motor specks with some companys......But if those specks are true man thats a powerhouse motor....

Anna,

I have seen what the F4.6 Big block from HPI can do and I can tell you that their K5.7 is just plain crazy.

3.75hp at 39500rpm, the numbers might be off a bit but it is not below 3.

Dan.

Ron, I saw both the production RTR and the ABS RTR, I was only quoting the production RTR as I don't know of anyone running an ABS hull in any kind of competition. The section that was posted is the one I was reading and quoting from, so no worries :)

Anna,

I have seen what the F4.6 Big block from HPI can do and I can tell you that their K5.7 is just plain crazy.

3.75hp at 39500rpm, the numbers might be off a bit but it is not below 3.

Dan.
its an idea to try that in my sport20 or sport40.....love big HP!!!!!

just don't know if you can fit one of those puppy in a Sport 20, these things are BIG.

Dan.

Worse yet, can she control that much power? Never seen her get a boat over 20 or so MPH. Might be a disaster in the makings

Worse yet, can she control that much power? Never seen her get a boat over 20 or so MPH. Might be a disaster in the makings
over 20 or so hj?? have seen anything from you......so do we have to start the bull again HJ?????

over 20 or so hj?? have seen anything from you......so do we have to start the bull again HJ?????
Someone has to keep you on your toes or you will get lazy on us. JUST FOR YOUR INFO, Misshydro, I've been spending lots of time milling parts for the boats. Working on tail mounts and a transom doubler for one of the scale boats. What have you been making? Working on a Pro Boat toy doesn't count either :p

Someone has to keep you on your toes or you will get lazy on us. JUST FOR YOUR INFO, Misshydro, I've been spending lots of time milling parts for the boats. Working on tail mounts and a transom doubler for one of the scale boats. What have you been making? Working on a Pro Boat toy doesn't count either :p
doesnt count??? well I can play with my boats.....

Back