Mod VP where it came from

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

Here's an interesting read on a site I like. Model boating has adopted the acronym Mod VP so here's the story on the full size version. I participated in the Powerboat Magazine Shootout in 1981 and thats really where things go put on the map. Originally Modified V-bottom Production (boats) turned into Mod Vee Pro a group of racers within APBA. Vee's evolved into Tunnel Vee's and the rules were the center pod had to be below the bottoms of the tunnels. Class got away from production hulls and became a factory super stock race with disposo hulls. Be neat to have a scale class similar to unlimited hydros for outboard nuts. Kensil hope your out there.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43

hope this link works?

Hi there, I see you are new. I frequent that site often too, lots of old pics and great old stories. We introduced Mod-VP to RC racing this year here in District 13 and it was a blast. Next year the class has a full field of racers with boats, again on a district level. My hull is a Stoker style design. Since you seem to have a real interest in this class, build yourself a boat (build an STV that would be cool) and come race with us sometime.

Mark

MICK.. what the heck...

Now you have to come back racing.. SEE YOU IN SC IN MARCH.. RIGHT?

Grimracer

Ronny says hi

Thanks for that link.

Interesting reading stuff, since I now the mod VP boats by Mark. And I saw the action in district 13.

Ronald.

Hi there, I see you are new. I frequent that site often too, lots of old pics and great old stories. We introduced Mod-VP to RC racing this year here in District 13 and it was a blast. Next year the class has a full field of racers with boats, again on a district level. My hull is a Stoker style design. Since you seem to have a real interest in this class, build yourself a boat (build an STV that would be cool) and come race with us sometime.

Mark

Mark,

Glad to see the interest in V-bottoms as thats where I started. I have a full ModVP styled .21 mono that has never been rigged thats been kicking around for 10 years. I will have to rig it and bring it to a few races. Vee's are more fun than tunnels as they run loose to run fast much like theb full size counterparts. Hope our path will cross in the future. My son and I have a lot of rust to clean off. May be called WD-40 racing for a while. In my profile he and his wife are running my DUX inflatable raceboat. The rubberducky is a handfull. District 13 hmmm. How do we get models on aircraft. The tunned pipes must drive the scanners nuts. Look alot like barrels/silencers.

Mic

MICK.. what the heck...

Grimracer

Ronny says hi

We have never had the pleasure of running against each other as my son and I retired just as you were comming on the scene. Probably should stay retired and keep our record unblemished but that wouldn't be any fun. At that time we had nothing more to accomplish in district 6 and you were the fresh mind that racing needed. Congrats on your accomlishments. The grasshopper became the master.

Charleston is one we want to make but give us time to catch up with all the new stuff. This hobby is about sharing ideas and learning. We now have much to learn learn from you. Go easy on us were old and rusty. Ron and Brian N will be getting tired of my e-mails.

Mic

MICK.. what the heck...

Grimracer

Ronny says hi

We have never had the pleasure of running against each other as my son and I retired just as you were comming on the scene. Probably should stay retired and keep our record unblemished but that wouldn't be any fun. At that time we had nothing more to accomplish in district 6 and you were the fresh mind that racing needed. Congrats on your accomlishments. The grasshopper became the master.

Charleston is one we want to make but give us time to catch up with all the new stuff. This hobby is about sharing ideas and learning. We now have much to learn learn from you. Go easy on us were old and rusty. Ron and Brian N will be getting tired of my e-mails.

Mic
Mic,

We might have a advantage for a few races but I'm sure it will not take you and Jay to long to figure out how tune the boats again. Maybe Jay has slowed down a little so we should have a fighting chance. You are the one that got me into this sport and have mised you two up here in the north country. Watch out for the boy's down in SC and there sipping whiskey. You and Grim will have a good time telling stories I wish I could be there.

Ron

MICK.. what the heck...

Grimracer

Ronny says hi

Mic
Mic,

We might have a advantage for a few races but I'm sure it will not take you and Jay to long to figure out how tune the boats again. Maybe Jay has slowed down a little so we should have a fighting chance. You are the one that got me into this sport and have mised you two up here in the north country. Watch out for the boy's down in SC and there sipping whiskey. You and Grim will have a good time telling stories I wish I could be there.

Ron

Nope not whiskey, it is called white XXXXX and came from down south. And they kept it from me so well I did not know about it for a couple of weeks. And the interstate mooning too. And the jokes played on Grim as well. They had their fun and I am sure they are working on a line up for March's race. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow first post for me since the lightning hit the site! Mick, I'll try to send you a pic if that don't work I can snail mail some to you. Would be great if you came to the tunnel race, loads of fun.

Mark

If you are talking about the lifesize ones there are several manufacturers still making them. Only Mod-VP tunnel in RC is the ones we are running here in Dist. 13.

This is a Stoker hull. My RC boats looks kinda like these except with a full length cowl.

Pic did not go through.

I build them. Been building them for several years now. I'll see if I can snag a pic off the tunnel champs website.

Mark

Mark those are awesome, are they 3.5 or 7.5 or can you make both? That seems like a really fun baot to drive, what are they like?? Do you sell these as well, if so what do you charge? Really neat.

Thanks, Mike.

Mark those are awesome, are they 3.5 or 7.5 or can you make both? That seems like a really fun baot to drive, what are they like?? Do you sell these as well, if so what do you charge? Really neat.

Thanks, Mike.

Mike,

They are 3.5 hulls. Traditionally set up for Sport 3.5 engines. Been working with Mark all year in the district special series and we really don't think the present design will permit the hot mod motors for the Mod class. Will be real tough keeping them on the water. However, Mark is going through some design changes that will help and keep them going well, especially through the turns. Early returns from testing done last week were very positive.

This is a fun class and a strongly made hull of two piece hand laid glass. Mark builds quite a good boat and is a real bargain. It was fun enough running it this year that I bought the pink one in the pictures to run next year in the district series. Back to where I started at - 3.5 tunnel. I highly recommend it to be considered.

John

Latest posts

Back