Mod-VP: Let's look at FIG #5

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cause they aint got nothing else to argue about Tom. They have beet that poor sport tunnel discussion to death so now its on to some thing else.
default_ph34r.png

LOL. Thanks for the insight Tony. Hows Mitch Sr doing by the way? Looking forward to seeing you guys in a few months.

A question for clarification .

Mark or Carl, are the rules going to have verbiage to addresses the pod being removable allowed ? I know you kinda laughed it off Mark, but I was always under the impression that a removable pod was not allowed- as I had thought about building one last year to be a dual purpose hull in NAMBA.

I cant say in the races we have had with ModVp's I remember seeing one that was removable but thats here nor there really.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Did your Vision come out of the mold with the pod on it? That is the very reason for clarifying the inset pod specification. Lets face it Andy if I had written the rules such that someone could not take an existing boat and make it a Mod-VP then I guess you would still have that OMC wouldn't you?

If an existing hull has the pod installed after it is built then it is removable, doesn't really matter what it is glued on with it can be taken off.

I look forward to racing against anything someone can come up with because I will let my boat do the talking.

I agree with Mark that adding a pod should be allowed. Makes for a hull that can race more than one class and leaves experimentation open without costly tooling. Face it at this point of Mod-VP to build a mold might not be a profitable endeavor.

The rest of the crap here is just beating a horse into the ground that is on the correct path already. In the eight years I have run "sport" class including Internats and many national races I haven't seen much controversy. (till now) It was working well and now its changing not for the better. No one piece of equipment is dominating and attention to setup and driving still wins races.

Mic

Did your Vision come out of the mold with the pod on it? That is the very reason for clarifying the inset pod specification. Lets face it Andy if I had written the rules such that someone could not take an existing boat and make it a Mod-VP then I guess you would still have that OMC wouldn't you?

If an existing hull has the pod installed after it is built then it is removable, doesn't really matter what it is glued on with it can be taken off.

I look forward to racing against anything someone can come up with because I will let my boat do the talking.
Judging from your response and lack of responses to my pm - Im the bad guy here for even having thought about questioning something I felt needed to be asked- good god - I'm sorry-if that matters. Me and Ron are a whole nother deal that has nothing to do with this thread or conversation and once again Im sorry for letting that taint your initial thread,The question I asked- more specifically this time - is / was can the pod (added to a boat that never had a pod) be fashioned to be removable. I cant see my self or anyone with a boat designed like mine - trying to remove the pod and reattach it between rounds- clearly you cant think thats what I asked. It pertained more to a pod that "bolted on so to speak" and could be easily removed between rounds and would that verbiage be in the re written / revised rules. I'm not stirring the pot here Mark, lets be clear on that. Myself and several others have worked HARD to grow this class in our area and others and you know that.

Take it for what you will , but I would hope you and I can bury any differences we may have at this point and move on, I know I can.

Andy

Andy,

There is an IMPBA rule that Mark mentioned several posts earlier that answers your question:

...."IMPBA rule that says no changes can be made to a hull that allow it to race in different classes in the same event"

Between races the pod can be removed, but not between heats at the same race.

Andy,

There is an IMPBA rule that Mark mentioned several posts earlier that answers your question:

...."IMPBA rule that says no changes can be made to a hull that allow it to race in different classes in the same event"

This is absolutely correct in IMPBA. If you want to run the same boat in both classes, then you have to start with a MOD-VP legal boat and run it in the Sport B class. There is no legal way to remove the pod between heats within the rules, you are modifying the hull and that is not legal. You guys down there are running NAMBA so it makes it hard keeping up with the rules from both racing associations.

Andy,

This is absolutely correct in IMPBA. If you want to run the same boat in both classes, then you have to start with a MOD-VP legal boat and run it in the Sport B class. There is no legal way to remove the pod between heats within the rules, you are modifying the hull and that is not legal. You guys down there are running NAMBA so it makes it hard keeping up with the rules from both racing associations.
John hence the reason I asked- its not in the NAMBA rules that I can find that you CANT alter the hull ( remove/add a pod ) between heats. I have wanted to run a ModVp / Stock or Mod 20 tunnel since I have been running the Vision boat- But was always under the impression the pod had to be affixed to the hull/ not removable . Thats the only reason I asked, thanks for your response.

You also mentioned a boat that started running in ModVp could run in Sport B - So IF I entered the ModVp in its class at the WTC or whatever it will be in 2014 - it can also run in Sport B legally ?

Andy

Andy,

John hence the reason I asked- its not in the NAMBA rules that I can find that you CANT alter the hull ( remove/add a pod ) between heats. I have wanted to run a ModVp / Stock or Mod 20 tunnel since I have been running the Vision boat- But was always under the impression the pod had to be affixed to the hull/ not removable . Thats the only reason I asked, thanks for your response.

You also mentioned a boat that started running in ModVp could run in Sport B - So IF I entered the ModVp in its class at the WTC or whatever it will be in 2014 - it can also run in Sport B legally ?

Andy
Yes you may as the MOD-VP rules are the same for the engine for the Sport B class. The hulls are different but as long as it meets the MOD-VP rules, it can run in the Sport B class. Not saying it will run equally with the Tunnel Boat Mafia guys down there but it can be run if desired. One point however, the MOD-VP hull MUST be a tunnel hull, and not a converted mono hull, to run in the Sport B class. It can also run in an open tunnel class too.

The race will be called the OB Tunnel Masters. You are most welcome to attend and we can split a Mt Dew together.

I look forward too it John, I have been running it that way when the guys down here let me, just wanted to make sure
default_wink.png

Andy

Yes Andy, if there is no such rule in Namba then I guess you can run the boat as different classes in the same Namba event.

Back