Mod VP rules

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

With the flury of new MVP interest over the weekend and some people who were not sure what a Mod-VP was lets clarfy a bit.

The full size counterpart was started in the 80's with production V-bottoms with mild modified V-6 outboards. Sponsons were allowed and also center pods on tunnel styled "ski boats". The basic rule was the V or pod had to extent even or below the outside sponsons and the sponsons no wider than the center pod. Allison,Eliminator,Baker Custom,Hydrostream and Summerfords (STV) were the order of the day.

Around 2004 Mark Poole drew up similar rules for models and created his OMC hull. In 2007 I added sponsons to a mono and some Vision tunnels and others with pods started to race at the World Tunnel Champs. There has been interest but no official rules in IMPBA or Namba. Just been a regional class so far.

The readers digest version is modified mono's and tunnels with pods running on a center section at least 1 inch wide below the line horizontally across the outside sponsons. (more details in Marks rules and diagrams) Power is a IMPBA sport 21 outboard. OE carb, muffler, lower with internal mods allowed. Carb and muffler keep playing field fairly level. Good boaters with setup and props still prevail but thats racing not T-Ball.

To date straight mono's are not in the mix and myself, Mark and a few others feel including them will add boats and have no competative advantage. Anyone have a reason to exclude mono's? Speak up. Mark and Bob Kensil are looking to submit a rule structure for an official national IMPBA class. Namba has a recognized OB/Mono class with records and these boats are few and far between but with "Sport" motors could participate. Not sure if this clss will grow nationally but the roots are sprouting in the Southest. Crazy unpredictable handling like Skiffs or Crackers make this a drivers class and a cheap alternative with a lot of used OB stuff on shelves collecting dust anyway.

Any OB Mono drivers want to be included?

Mic

Is there a length limit in this class? If you allow monos I may be able to get a free hull that I could put together.
Mark hopefully will chime in here as I am not sure of the exact dimensions but between 26-36 inches seems logical. The add on sponsons (60%?)and pods (40%?) have percentage requirement corelating to lenght so too long would make a heavy hull. Being flexible and getting more boats is the goal here.

Mic

I have a copy of the rules if I can figure out how post em
unsure.gif

How do I post a PDF from my desktop on MAC ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one question to ask is does one type of hull(mono/Mod VP) have any clear advantage over the other...sounds like the intent of the class is to have close racing...and have fun with set ups, driving etc...i also think this class will become very popular for cheapasses like me! Could have a BUNCH of boats in a short amount of time providing there are hulls available out there and good information for racers on where to get them!

To answer your question Bill, no, one would not have an advantage over the other. I have tested and raced a couple OB monos in fact, I have one that will corner better than my Mod-VP hull. But the Mod-VP will run better down the straight.

In 2004 when the IMPBA let me race the boat with tunnels for a year that did not sit well with some racers as they felt a center balance boat did not belong with the tunnels. I have to agree, the boat does not belong in the tunnel class. Now, with that said, consider that in IMPBA there is no place for an OB mono to compete except race with inboards, which is a waste of time. The absolute best OB mono can't hang with inboard monos. But, a good running OB mono would be more matched in performance to the Mod-VP's especially with all boats having Sport B engines. Mic's boat is simply a mono with sponsons on the chines.

When guys started modifying existing tunnel hulls to meet the Mod-VP specs some racers felt that those boats would dominate the class. After the time trials at the last Storm race and heat racing I don't see them being unbeatable at all. Allowing Vee's would make the RC class correct to their lifesize counterparts and would allow some racers to jump in and have fun with a hull they might have sitting over in the corner.

Jeff, since we run Sport B engines, any boat over about 34 inches would not keep up with boats in the 26" to 32" range. You would need to pray for 30 mph winds and white caps. :p

This is like anything else, racers will race what they choose. I don't see other classes with only one brand of boat!

Mark, if thats the case, then why not run em? Ill bet there's a TON of 20 mono's layin around collecting dust....this could well be the lowest cost racing class next to rtr's! :) CHEAP IS GOOD in these times we live in!

Can some one either post some rules here or send a file of the rules so we know what needs to be done to each style of boat to meet the requirements. I have a TS Tunnel I could maybe do something with if I knew what I needed to do.

You should have em Ron, post em up when you get a chance, thanks

Andy

Jeff, since we run Sport B engines, any boat over about 34 inches would not keep up with boats in the 26" to 32" range. You would need to pray for 30 mph winds and white caps. :p

This is like anything else, racers will race what they choose. I don't see other classes with only one brand of boat!

The hull I am looking at is a Delta force 33. Not sure how it would work, but if it s a free hull, it can't hurt to try it.

There will be 1 more new design hull coming 30 inch tunnel type all wood :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well do tell bud!! And if I may ask, do those rules (in the link) seem pretty straight forward and understandable to you? Need to get some opinions on that.

To keep the "cool" effect in the class, although it is not in the rules, I would encourage either cowling with painted windscreen or a basic head and shoulders driver. For added fun please state which engine brand you are loyal to...Mercury, Evinrude, Johnson or Yamaha. :lol:

Next time you see my boat at a race sitting on the stand it will have a Johnson V-6 cowling on it. I'll fire the first shot....Mercury sux. :p

**** Mark! You had to start a war...didn't ya! MERCURY for me boys. I think I can cover up OMC.

Mercury sux? Of all the years we traveled the IOGP circuit, there was only 1 OMC washing machine that could ever break the top three, and once the 2.5 Merc's came out he had a hard time getting in the top 5, so you know what will be on the side of my boat MERCURY

What would be really cool is if we could make up cowlings for Mod Vp. Jeff Connelly was starting to make a cowl for stock 40, but I think I need to get him to start one for a os instead.

Cowls may not work for the guys running air cooled motors! :lol:

Looks like I am going to be the Al Stoker in this bunch. Well, maybe not since I will have JOHNSON on the side of my boat. B) Speaking of IOGP, you remember when Al beat Rusty at Augusta? I must admit that I would not have put money on him on that narrow course but he pulled it off.

Mike, if you are Merc fan I don't blame you. Paint that cowling yellow and put a big black Mercury sticker on it! We need to let Ron Hill know how much fun we are having with this. He would be very jealous! :D

Back