MikeP's Paper Towels

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another question for Mike or others that have used this process. Any suggestions on how to hide the wood / foam when using the yellow pigment? ??? The red being used on one is doing a wonderful job of covering the wood / foam.. ;D But the yellow is not.. :( My only thought would be to spray primer over what I've done already and start over.. :eek:

either that, or maybe try some white pigment first with the yellow on top coats? :-

oh, if you try the primer route, be sure that it will take epoxy over it. some primers won't take epoxy at all...

Well, I was thinking of using expoy primer... Got a few weeks before heading to G.R.. So I was hoping to get both boats completed by then.

Thx.. I'll check on a scape piece before really trying it on the boat.

Mark..

I used Krylon's epoxy primer that I got from Meijer's if you have one of those stores down there. Use in outdoors or in a WELL ventilated area, the stuff stinks! It is very sandable also. I even tried putting some Lustercote and Formula-U paint over it and no problems on a piece of scrap wood. Those two won't work together though, tried it.

ClayGlover asked.....??Has anyone tried using HOK paints directly on west systems epoxy as a primer? HOK's 2-part epoxy primers are another $45...

I have used HOK over WestSystems without any problems....the paint sticks like glue ;D. I have also brushed on HOK clear as a sealer...this too seems to work good.

GRIM has a picture of my Villian S1 in the Villian s1 forum. (thread.. Hey Grim)

Wayne

OB Nut,

If you haven't already, try more pigment (lots more) and lay it on thicker with a foam brush.

-MikeP

Mike, tried that... It would most likely look good from a distance, but up close one could tell the difference between the wood and foam. Also, the wood used for some of the boat came from an old interior door. It was the cheapest wood I could find ;D.. These Solutions use a bunch of wood. I was unable to get all the glue off this door wood... It appeared to be soaked into the grain. I'd take some pics of it, but I've already sprayed primer.. One coat took the whole can.. These are not small boats!

Since getting on this forum, I now know where to mail ordered wood. My next project, most likely the 34 WOF or even a .12 rigger, will have this mail order wood.

Mike, call me stupid.. ;D But for some reason (stupid!), I was using a bondo spreader to spread out the epoxy.. After re-reading the process, I started to use a foam brush.. So far, the red looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!! :D I'll try the yellow tonight when I get home from work. Wanted the primer to dry from final coat.

Cool process!

Mark.....

Hey, guess what happens if you get in a hurry and use 5 minute epoxy to do this paper towel thing.

You have to buy more sandpaper! :(

Hey I've done that.

Save those little bottles of Hobby Shop glue for the wife and kids.

Real men use West Systems. Oh Oh Oh

-MikeP

I can get it and send it to you.

The company that makes ZAP CA makes Z-poxy finishing resin, I have used it alot and like it.

-MikeP

What's the shelf-life of West System. I use Devcon (9 oz bottles) from the local lumberyard and it lasts me a looong time. If I did as much fabricating as you, buying by the gallon would be cost effective. But I'm afraid it would go bad in the years it would take me to go through a gallon.

Back