Man this is a bunch of work!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisHerzog

Supporting Member
It’s a bunch of work but I’m enjoying the heck out of it. Put the second coat of sealer on the inside this afternoon…. It won’t be long now and I will finally be closing this one up. I need to spend the next couple of days getting the sister boat caught up to this one!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 73
It’s a bunch of work but I’m enjoying the heck out of it. Put the second coat of sealer on the inside this afternoon…. It won’t be long now and I will finally be closing this one up. I need to spend the next couple of days getting the sister boat caught up to this one!

What are they gonna be?
Scratch built? Or a kit?

What are they gonna be?
Scratch built? Or a kit?
They are both 8255 hull kits from ML Boatworks and will be Gas Scales. One will be the 1982 (I think) Coors light boat with out the wing and the other will be the Executone boat about the same year.

Attachments

• D81B8F4A-1BE8-4762-ACCD-F518A82DF33B.jpeg
    D81B8F4A-1BE8-4762-ACCD-F518A82DF33B.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 48
  • D5C4C10D-7BD8-4FAC-A6C5-B9B44AA63271.jpeg
    D5C4C10D-7BD8-4FAC-A6C5-B9B44AA63271.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 46
Chris,
If you have a moment and don't mind
Could you place a straight edge on the bottom front to back and show what "nose rise" is.
Are you looking for the angle?
The break is 10.5” back from the point on the center tub and at the nose it’s up about 2 1/4”. Not sure if that helps but let me know if you need something else, I have the boats in from of me now.

Attachments

• 444963AB-CE8E-4712-9407-076B68E628B7.jpeg
    444963AB-CE8E-4712-9407-076B68E628B7.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I like those 8255 boats. Nice and simple from the standpoint of no wings, canards, etc… Plus they make a lot of boats! Building wood boats is not a hurry up process, at least for me anyway. It looks like you’re doing a great job! Did you have to build a jig for those with that rise in it?

I like those 8255 boats. Nice and simple from the standpoint of no wings, canards, etc… Plus they make a lot of boats! Building wood boats is not a hurry up process, at least for me anyway. It looks like you’re doing a great job! Did you have to build a jig for those with that rise in it?
I did build a jig but the jig does not have a rise. When I put the bottom on up in the front I was able to slide the hull back on the jig and lift the transom up. At the point the rise was flat on the jig.

I have used one jig for both hulls. When ever I glue anything on the hull the hull is sitting on the jig. I’ll take a pic of it but right now I have glue drying and I don’t want to move the hull.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 68
I did build a jig but the jig does not have a rise. When I put the bottom on up in the front I was able to slide the hull back on the jig and lift the transom up. At the point the rise was flat on the jig.

I have used one jig for both hulls. When ever I glue anything on the hull the hull is sitting on the jig. I’ll take a pic of it but right now I have glue drying and I don’t want to move the hull.
I need to get off my AZZ!!
you are an inspiration, I have had a 7474 hull for more than a year. I need to get building.
I race a 1/8 scale 8255 and it needs a big brother.

I need to get off my AZZ!!
you are an inspiration, I have had a 7474 hull for more than a year. I need to get building.
I race a 1/8 scale 8255 and it needs a big brother.
I started these about a year ago, was doing great then had health issues, Hurricanes and so on and so on. I decided to get some stuff done that I was putting off ( other boats for friends) and I got my desire to get back on these going again. I’m trying like hell to have them ready for the Gas Nats along with two other new boat!!

Chris do yourself a favor and reach out to John Finch as he has one that runs great but has done work on the bottom that I think will make the boat run better. Original boat was Dick L. John has made some changes, Just an FYI

Chris do yourself a favor and reach out to John Finch as he has one that runs great but has done work on the bottom that I think will make the boat run better. Original boat was Dick L. John has made some changes, Just an FYI
I’ll do that. I haven’t talk to John in a while but I’ll reach out to him and ask him what he is doing.

I do miss slinging Epoxy!.. your a lucky dude.. (please follow all warnings on the package)

Watching in!

Grim
Grim - I used an Australian made epoxy product called Bote Cote for a full sized plywood runabout I was restoring partly because it claims to be one of the safest epoxies on the market as it has "lower allergenic potential". I suggest you google the name and/or look at the boatcraft.com.au website store for their epoxy product where you can access the links to the relevant safety data and technical data sheets. You might be able to sling epoxy again.
I had no trouble using gallons (or in my case litres) of the stuff and in good old Australian venacular it "sticks like sh** to a blanket". :)

Thanks Gary,

I just can not risk an exposer. Love that idea that companies are trying to make a safer product.

Be well

Grim

I said that I would post a pic of my jig… this is it! On the bottom (the underside) I screwed a couple pieces of wood so that it sits inside the tray of the cart and keeps the jig from sliding off. Building it like this using a cart works really well for me. I move it all over and don’t have to worry about disturbing anything not dry.

Attachments

• 8B8AF939-91F5-4A40-89B9-3958F2CB3280.jpeg
    8B8AF939-91F5-4A40-89B9-3958F2CB3280.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 58
  • 94DEEF81-C51E-45C5-BA1E-749ACC46399A.jpeg
    94DEEF81-C51E-45C5-BA1E-749ACC46399A.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 59
I said that I would post a pic of my jig… this is it! On the bottom (the underside) I screwed a couple pieces of wood so that it sits inside the tray of the cart and keeps the jig from sliding off. Building it like this using a cart works really well for me. I move it all over and don’t have to worry about disturbing anything not dry.
Chris: I have a similar setup. Mine is a 2x4 workbench with a shelf built with strong ties from Home Depot. All straight cuts. MDF for the surfaces. I put a set of wheels from Amazon on it that have a lever that allow you to put on the ground and also some levelers. Being able to get around your project is so key and something like this makes it easy!

Back