Lower Unit Shapes...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

Has anyone here experimented with thinning down the lower units, for less drag, cutting the Skegs down and shaping the lower more like a 'Wing' as the real ones are (I think)?

Anything at you have done to try and improve performance ffrom your stock K&B lower?

Kris

Kris,

One thing worth checking is that the prop shaft is stright compared to the fin. I have heard of them being drilled / tapped crooked and that can rob a lot of performance.

Also, don't sacrifice strength by thinning the fin down too far! A sharp leading edge is also useful.

Cheers,

Tim.

If you can endure reading it and try to skim through the vocabulary, it's alot of good information. Great find, Ian!

Jeff,

Oops, I am a mechanical engineer, I kind of forget sometimes that some of this stuff is a bit hard for many people to read! : :) Ignore the formulas, the useful stuff is in the text.

It is from the past tech papers section of rcboat.com

Ian.

Kris,

When I've broken off the lower skeg in the past I use thin but strong aluminum in the shape of an "L", works great.

That's awesome Ian, I am studying chemical engineering. I am in my 2nd year. Taking 1st semester physics right now, and I plan on taking fluid dynamics and the like next fall. I can make a little sense out of it,

Cool, bro,

Jeff

Tim, do you mean make sure it is square to the trailing edge of the fin/skeg?

It is actually for a 12 cell FE Tunnel project i am slowly wrking on...i have the lower so i am begginning to get it ready to use, even though i probably wnt have a boat ready to use (No one has seen a Villain in Aus yet have they???) suppose i will have to wait and see...

Anyway, so the strength of the lower isnt as important with this project as it would be with the vibration of a nitro OB...so i want to try and remove as much weight as possible, and also make it perform better and more efficient

Thanks Ian, if i get some time i will try to read it, looks interesting at a glance though!! :)

also what is the verdict with the leading egdes of the skegs/turn fins? Are they better straight, or curved (from a side on view)?

Kris

Kris,

Have a look at an article by Rod Geraghty on this page http://rcboat.com/news.shtml - about 2/3 way down the page.

As for Villains in Oz - I haven't seen one but that doesn't mean much - try contacting Paul Stirton as he's importing Grim's stuff. His email is [email protected]

As for side on view of L/E - I've always run them on an angle but straight - no curve. Never had the courage to try anything else on a perfectly good fin.

Tim.

Thanks Tim! i will have to check mine out...

I just saw a thread on RRR frum about the diffent shapes and i thought that it might be interesting to see if anyone had experimented with see if either worked better than the other on an OB...

Kris

Latest posts

Back