Looking for some sort of waterproof remote gps tracker that can connect to my phone

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisHerzog

Supporting Member
Does anyone make a waterproof gps tracking unit that is battery powered, small and light and that will connect to my phone to get real time mph readings? Preferably something with no monthly fees.

Thanks,
Chris

SKYRC SK-500023 GNSS Performance Analyzer GSM020 GPS + GLONASS
car guys use this for drag cars it bluetooth not reading when out ou range of phone but logs and shows top speeds on phone when return to bluetooth range

Chris,
The GPS mentioned is not waterproof. I Have one which seems to work well after it picks up the satellite signals which can take quite a few minutes. Should go in the radio box and should be wrapped tightly. Don't know anyone using outside the box. They are very moisture sensitve so doesn't take much to take one down. I've been told just to drop it in rice overnight and should be okay the next day. Haven't had that happen to mine yet. Also, it doesn't work very well when you forget to turn it on before launch :(

Marty

The skyrc GPS's are great, however they are not waterproof but a simple ballon or plastic bag will solve that. They can provide realtime speed, but only if the phone is within bluetooth range. Most people use the Skyrc GPS for max speed runs, but you can also download the file and review the data. Well worth the money.

I bought one a while back and have not thrown it in a boat yet. Should play with sometime. Probably mount it in radio box when I do.

The skyrc GPS's are great, however they are not waterproof but a simple ballon or plastic bag will solve that. They can provide realtime speed, but only if the phone is within bluetooth range. Most people use the Skyrc GPS for max speed runs, but you can also download the file and review the data. Well worth the money.

How do you d/l the file?

I use a condom to keep mine dry, it's a great unit based on GNSS which is very accurate.

How do you d/l the file?

I use a condom to keep mine dry, it's a great unit based on GNSS which is very accurate.
I just tested it and may be wrong. I thought you could connect via a laptop and download the files, but it appears locked.

Another option is to get a Garmin GPS watch. They are waterproof and even smaller than the SKYRC GPS's. You could set the watch up to record a "run" or other sport pre-loaded and it will tell you quite a bit of data.

i Have one used it one day I put it in my radio box does what it’s suppose to do just couldn’t justify the higher end futaba radio and the cost of there gps would be nice .I also looked at the spectrum radio and there gps but like the futaba be nice if the lower cost 4 pm could be updated to take the speed rpm and change it to the gps .

Lots of 3d printed cases for SkyRc GPS on eBay etc. All the cases I’ve seen are meant to hard mount gps onto an rc car & provide some impact protection. Haven’t seen a waterproof version? Don’t know if a boat any benefit since it still has to go inside the radio box, it’s just a thought?
Brian Neumann

Uncoated 3D prints aren't particularly watertight. They may be OK at low immersions, but the 3D printed cooling covers for my Castle ESC were hard to make watertight under pressure. My 3D printed sponsons seem OK.

Lohring Miller

Uncoated 3D prints aren't particularly watertight. They may be OK at low immersions, but the 3D printed cooling covers for my Castle ESC were hard to make watertight under pressure. My 3D printed sponsons seem OK.

Lohring Miller

a coat of epoxy resin will do wonders for sealing 3D printed parts making them water tight. Treat them like your sealing wood.

OSE has an RCM V2 Telemetry System but it's out of stock. It uses a 2.4 GHz gateway so it has more realtime range than bluetooth...but it only works with Android phones.
Anyone tried it?
SkyRC has one that uses a bluetooth app for a phone and one that has an onboard display. I ordered the one with the display.

Back