Looking for rigger cowl hold down ideas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcvnd

I have adapted an SGX CF cowl to my blackbird but the issue is that the blackbird has a little curve to its top. I have already glassed the cowl to a piece of wood but there is a little spring tithe wood that I can not get away from. I need a novel idea to hold the back down. I don't want to do rubber bands if I don't have to. Magnets won't be strong enough I don't think. I am leaning towards servo horns but I am not sold. Any good ideas?

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
rc car body posts. i cross drilled 1, thru bolted it to the front radio box wall with needed spacers. 1 hole in rear of cowl with a simple body clip, small lip on front to hook under decking. short tether from clip to cowl is a good thing.......light, simple & easy to fasten.

I have adapted an SGX CF cowl to my blackbird but the issue is that the blackbird has a little curve to its top. I have already glassed the cowl to a piece of wood but there is a little spring tithe wood that I can not get away from. I need a novel idea to hold the back down. I don't want to do rubber bands if I don't have to. Magnets won't be strong enough I don't think. I am leaning towards servo horns but I am not sold. Any good ideas?

View attachment 39974 View attachment 39975
What your doing is what I did. The only thing I didn't like was it wore the paint. A washer between the horn and tub might help

Tim

What your doing is what I did. The only thing I didn't like was it wore the paint. A washer between the horn and tub might help

Tim
That is my concern.

rc car body posts. i cross drilled 1, thru bolted it to the front radio box wall with needed spacers. 1 hole in rear of cowl with a simple body clip, small lip on front to hook under decking. short tether from clip to cowl is a good thing.......light, simple & easy to fasten.
Could You show a pic Robin??

Posting pics here is a pita. send me an email, happy to send pics to anybody. you've seen my jae, tim - it was just going too fast for you to get a look! see ya in chuckytown in a few weeks.

pics on the way to kevin & tim shortly. feel free to post them tim, thanx ;) . i'm using a preusse cowl on my jae .21, no rubbing issues so far. there is a heavy, clear vinyl tape/sheeting for auto use. goes on the front & lower sides of cars to stop stone chips. i believe there is a 3m version for diy use. look in the body section at wally world or parts houses. cut & apply to tub top where cowl contacts it.......

Posting pics here is a pita. send me an email, happy to send pics to anybody. you've seen my jae, tim - it was just going too fast for you to get a look! see ya in chuckytown in a few weeks.
Robin , use Tinypic.com , it's a snap , copy and paste into body of post . Done

Servo horns with allen screws is hard to beat , unless you shape something similar out of Delrin or Carbon Fiber .

You initially expressed concern over magnets- I can tell you that some small rare earth magnets are VERY strong- plus they make it look very clean.

Try here ( http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/ ) as they literally have a ton of shapes/sizes and pull strengths.

Andy

I have a ton of neo magnets and I think in the end they will work I did some further testing.

the pieces i used came from a parma 1/10 scale electric body mount/post kit. cowl overlaps the deck evenly about 1/8" all the way around. small pieces of scrap david pruesse includes with the cowl made the nose lip & the small blocks around the edges to loacate the cowl side to side. cowl & clip weigh 1 5/8 oz., prolly don't have 2 oz. in the whole deal. tom, you've seen me crash this boat every way possible, did the cowl ever come off in a 70+ mph tumble? takes all of 6-7 seconds to put on.

have used this or servos horns for years....to protect the paint just use a piece of radio tape in the cowl. Gill

IMGP5990.jpg

Keep it simple. Servo horns.. easy simple and most important they work. Been using them for over 12 yrs on all my 20 boats

We use a small O-ring between the deck and the servo horn. I does two things. It provides just the right amount of tension on the horn so it won't turn until you want it to. it also keeps the horn from rubbing the deck and scuffing the paint. I think the O-rings we use are about 3/16" OD and 1/16" ID. They capture into the horn top cup perfectly.

Thanks guys. Brian that cowl looks strangely familiar. What type of boat is that? I would love to see the front.

roxy built a firefighter gas rigger for me he used earth magents clean look and no problem . if u want to see it running go to adams firefighter rigger u tube powder blue bruce is driving it i still need to learn driving part lol . hope it helps

I thought the same thing when I saw yours B) . I'm guessing you probably got yours from Igal? The boat is an Eagle SGX. The front of the cowl is held in place by a little lexan angle clip that Andy sells.

Brian

sgx.JPG

front cowl clip.JPG

Latest posts

Back