Not sure what boat this is.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OtisHelmke

Afternoon everyone,

The past couple of weeks I've been working on a tunnel hull with the idea of running it at the endurance race coming up at SOWEGA. I've had it for quite a while, I bought it along with a smaller tunnel, sort of a two for one. Both were painted black and just looked awful, and I like black boats! The larger hull was sold as a class D HotShot Sprint and that's what I always thought was correct. The smaller is a HotShot .21 with the gel coat. I got both out of a closet last week and started wet sanding all of that ugly paint off of both hulls. Problem was that the larger one seemed much larger than the Sprint I've been running for some time. It also had part of an incomplete cowl that just didn't fit. I finally put both D hulls together and I was right. The one I've been sanding is about 4 inches longer than the one I've been running all this time. It's heavier and I had thought the reason was that it's been glassed and has about 1/8 inch or a little thicker coat of resin on the entire hull. Width is almost the same as the Sprint but it is a bigger boat and I don't think a .45 engine is going to get the job done. A large tank fits without any problem but I suspect this boat was meant for a .65 or larger engine. It's never been run, has no holes drilled in the keel indicating that there might have been an engine on it at sometime. Looking at the photo does anyone know what hull this might be? It's a wood hull but clearly isn't the HotShot I first thought it to be. I will apologize in advance for the crappy condition of my shop. A leaky roof caused all kinds of problems and while the leak is fixed I still have to get at least modest organization back in place. Thanks for any input.

Rick H.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    879.1 KB · Views: 372
Otis, there were 2 versions of the hot shot sprint, a 45 and 67 version. The 67 version was 5 inches longer, so you probably now have the 67 version. See below picture from the Dumas catalogue:

Capture.JPG

Ran the .45 size (31") with a mod .45 engine and was blistering fast. Didn't turn well but the straight-a-ways were crazy fast. Longer length may have been better for the mod .45 or a stock .67.

Wow, go figure. I have several of the Dumas tunnel boats and a few scale kits but had no idea there was an even bigger Sprint. I was Iooking around the auction site and found some 67 powerheads available. Will that powerhead fit on a .45 lower or is it a completely different unit? I can always spend the extra for a complete unit.

Rick H.

Dumas offered that Hot Shot Sprint that can be built in two versions. They did not offer a smaller version for the .45 outboard.

Back