Little behined the times

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCOTT WITHERELL

I see that NAMBA changed the rules on belly pan depth ,on the sport boat classes. So now we don't have to moddify the Phil Tomas SS45 sport hydro any more to comply to the old rule.

let me know if this new rule is correct.or we still waiting for it to be voted on, to take affect.

Thanks Scott

If this is true I would be news to me. I have not heard anything about a "new" change to the NAMBA sport rule. Or at least in the last year or so.

Maybe a few of the NAMBA sport boaters can chime in and let us know.

Grim

Yes the rule did pass as submitted by NAMBA District 8. Yes this now makes the PT legal without mods, as well as other hulls.

Eric Bourlet

NAMBA Sport Hydro National Chairman

Wow! That makes me HAPPY! Now i dont have to screw up a perfectly good paint job!!! I hate cutting into my boats if I dont have to ....My buddy Tom Foley makes fun of me about it!!

here is how the new ruling is worded, this is from the NAMBA website

The following proposals relate to Section 20 which deals with Sport

Hydroplane racing rules:

Proposal #8: Replace existing Section 27.B.4 with (additions are italicized):

The boat must be attractively painted in the spirit of Limited or Unlimited inboard

hydroplane racing. Each boat must have a sponsor’s name or logo affixed to the hull.

The sponsor may be of the builder’s choice: a hobby shop, gas station, local business,

fictitious sponsor, etc. The boat must have the driver’s NAMBA number on it

preceded by the letter “U, UL, GP,J” Or any other limited or unlimited inboard

hydroplane racing designator past or present used by major full sized sanctioning body

such as but not limited to the APBA. The number can be on the hull or tail. In cases where

the boater uses the real Unlimited Hydroplane’s “U” number, the driver’s NAMBA

number must appear somewhere on the visible portion of the boat in numbers at least

1/4” in height.

Proposal #9: Replace existing Section 27.B.11 with:

No boat will have an after plane greater than 60% of the total length of the hull.

Length “C” will be measured from the transom to the point where the sponson is

attached to the hull (Figure 1).

Note: This change, if passed, would eliminate Figure 2 in this section as well as the

second column in Table 1 which relates to belly pan depth

But, to tell you the truth the bottom mod makes for a better handling boat, just my opinion

Rick

I got a chance to see the NAMBA mod on Alan Terry's boat at the NAMBA Nats in San Jose. Trust me when I say if I had a PT, I would not hesitate to make the change. It gets the boat much closer to where it needs to be.

Back