Lipo Transmitter Pack

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Oxidean

I just wanted to rejoice on the convenience and economy using a lipo transmitter pack has brought me..

It lasts a LONG time, I can turn on my M11 and leave it on throughout my practice session (5 packs) and absolutely not worry..

I'd love to hear anyone else's experience good or bad.. :)

I'm blastin' maxamps 2500mah

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to rejoice on the convenience and economy using a lipo transmitter pack has brought me..It lasts a LONG time, I can turn on my M11 and leave it on throughout my practice session (5 packs) and absolutely not worry..

Abso-tootly, my Bro ! Me use same tx pak; takes a lickin' & keeps on ticking !! The only way to fly/er/splash !

I just wanted to rejoice on the convenience and economy using a lipo transmitter pack has brought me..It lasts a LONG time, I can turn on my M11 and leave it on throughout my practice session (5 packs) and absolutely not worry..

Abso-tootly, my Bro ! Me use same tx pak; takes a lickin' & keeps on ticking !! The only way to fly/er/splash !
Yup i went 6 months and no recharge wowzers........... now i have 2 of them

I just finally got my first reciever pack powered with li-po batterys. I was a little leary but am very happy with the results. Next I will be changing all my recivers over to them and both transmitters as well.

If you use them for your receiver packs, be advised that neither HiTec or Futaba recommend over 6.0 volts for their servos; one 2S receiver pack puts out 8.4 volts hot off the charger and dwindles only slightly under the small receiver/servo load. You should probably run a voltage regulator with LiPos.

I have run 2P packs with my Spektrum receivers and HiTec servos without problems - the Spektrum receivers are good for over 10 volts, and so far the servos are holding up. Right now I don't see a compelling reason not to use NiMH packs for receivers, other than the chance to eliminate a charger.

I have been using lipos for rec packs and prefer them over nimh for a couple of reasons:

1)They hold their charge. I used to charge my nimh rec packs the morning of use to make sure they would last the day. Now I just charge whenever and know they are still ready for use.

2)Even with a voltage regulator they are lighter than most nimh packs unless you are using (like I still do) the lightest nimh cells. But these do not always last an entire day at the pond so they need to be re-charged throughout the day. More hastle than the weight savings. In many setups you may not be looking for weight savings but when you do this sure helps.

I always use a voltage regulator and have been using a Futaba FAAST system and aritronics servos. Never had a glitch or any radio problem due to inadequate voltage. Might try some without the V reg but just stating that this has not been an issue for me.

Have not tried a lipo for the transmitter but have been using lithium ions that last a looong time before going in the trash. If I did not run gas hulls too they would prob last most if not all season.

i dont run electric boats... but i do run LiPo's for RX and TX. I use CommonSenseRC 1500mah packs for the RX with Align voltage regulators. These i really dont like anymore then the NIMH's i was using before. They only last about a weekends worth of racing, the same as my NIMH 1200-1400mah packs were lasting.

Now my TX pack i LOVE. I have a 2800mah 11.1v pack from CommonSenseRC as well and it only needs to be charged every couple of months even if using just about every weekend. In fact, last time i charged it was in October, ive used it quite a few times since then and it still reads 12.0v

Ok, can anyone vouch for 7.4 rcvr packs without a regulator?

I want to try it with my small 1200 pack to keep amps down.. I run Airtronics radios servos and rcvrs..

Like I said Wilmer, I did use an unregulated 7.4 volts (really over 8) for several months without problems. That was with my Spektrum radio and HiTec servo. That's all I can tell you, YMMV.

Like I said Wilmer, I did use an unregulated 7.4 volts (really over 8) for several months without problems. That was with my Spektrum radio and HiTec servo. That's all I can tell you, YMMV.

Wow! That's great! I wonder if my airtronics rcvrs will hack it.. Those Spektrums are pretty solid rcvrs...

Just checked, and airtronics 2.4 rcvrs don't want more than 6.0 volts.. I'll have to make some recommendations :)

I'm particularly interested beceause I have a coupla' tiny 7.4 pax for my Losi micro baja that would shave an incredible ammount of weight in my stock and micro stuff

dont most recievers out these days have BEC built in anyway? So wouldnt it not matter if you ran a 7.4v battery through a reciever that will still only send out 6v to the servos?

dont most recievers out these days have BEC built in anyway? So wouldnt it not matter if you ran a 7.4v battery through a reciever that will still only send out 6v to the servos?
Some do, but most do not. I checked the Futaba 603FS and found servo outputs recieving full input voltage. I think some JR stuff has built in regulators.

Brent

All Futaba receivers pass along the full voltage as fed into them. They do have an internal voltage regulator that drops the input down to what the receiver needs for its operation.

JR has a new line of receivers designed for giant scale planes that does provide for internal voltage regulation of the servo voltage. Plus they have a line of servos out that can handle the full charge voltage off of a 2S lipo pack (8717 for example). Of course these servos cost $200 a piece as well!!

But I am pretty certain that the rest of the JR/Spektrum line passes input voltage directly to the servos.

In most cases it is the servos that are the limiting factor on voltage. Receivers can usually handle a fair bit of voltage, but normal servos start burning out much above 6 volts.

But I am pretty certain that the rest of the JR/Spektrum line passes input voltage directly to the servos.
Bill is correct on the Spektrum receivers - mine pass full battery voltage to the servo and ESC. The receiver is rated for over 10 volts, but both HiTec and Futaba say their servos top out at 6 volts. As I stated above I tried 2S (over 8 volts) and the servo has lasted, but there's no guarantee it won't burn up the next time I turn it on....

mine pass full battery voltage to the servo and ESC.
Jay, should I use a voltage regulator between, the ESC and the servo(s) if I am using more then then 6v to the receiver?

I'd like to get more "v's" to the receiver so I can avoid the glitches, as you told me about, I actually own a Spektrum sys now

so I can try it and see how it works for me. I also own an Airtronics which proved pretty scampi when it comes to range, I always have to hold the Tx forward and/or higher, jump on one leg while blinking my eyes intermittently... I am yet to use more voltage on it to make sure that it is in fact... unusable in boats.

If non of these work there will be a sale of controllers soon so I can get my Futaba 2.4 or even stick to my FM radios which never gave me grief.

Jay, should I use a voltage regulator between, the ESC and the servo(s) if I am using more then then 6v to the receiver?I'd like to get more "v's" to the receiver so I can avoid the glitches,

Not sure where you got the idea that higher voltage to the receiver prevents glitches, it has nothing to do with the quality of the RF link or how well the RX deals with interference or internally generated noise. Increasing the voltage to the receiver does basically two things, it increases the servo torque and increase servo speed.

Most of the 2.4 systems are designed to run at 6 volts, but running them at say 8 volts is not going to give you a better link. Spektrum has proven to be a bit more voltage sensitive and has a longer reboot time after a brown out, and the solution was found to be running at least 6 volts. Futaba recommends 6 volts right off.

But again, this is simply due to the design of the electronics, they just take a slightly higher voltage to work. It is not to prevent a poor RF link.

I know it seems like the same thing, but it is not. Once over the threshold it does not matter how much power you send to the RX. Its internal regulator will just burn off the excess as heat.

The same goes for transmitters. All modern transmitters have essentially the same power output from fresh off the charge to shutdown.

I just want to add, despite knowing this may not sound great coming from a Futaba guy, but Horizon specifically tells people NOT to use the JR/Spektrum 2.4 systems in boats. Some have had success, many have not and Horizon feels that the challenges of running in a boat are not the strength of their system. Adding more voltage will not overcome this issue. Like I said, this is what Horizon has told several people in just the past few weeks, this is not my opinion.

Any other sources for the voltage stepdown than the one listed in the thread at Commomsence?

Jim Clark

FlightPower sells a voltage regulator, and Castle sells an external BEC. I'm certain there area others.

Latest posts

Back