LeeCraft Tunnels win first in A Mod and B Mod at 2011 NAMBA Nats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Ted we all sang a chorus of "Cumbiya" while you were offline. I am sure this won't be the last of a future flare up as the Atwells haven't been heard from yet. Heck if we stuck a nerve the G-man would have piped up and straightened us out.

Allan Elzer is alive and well and I had some emails with him about a month ago. Don't think he gets on here to often.

Mic

Yeah, been busy trying to balance this thing called work and watching this thread(at the same time) with bated breath! :D

Too bad we can't get some Vid's. of the so called "Enigma" that is at hand.. Since you left Minnesota years ago, they don't let us out much.. :eek: To be able to see a 60+ Tunnel run - would be a treat!!.. Hell, it's been 1 year and 2 months since I've seen a boat go over 60+ and that was Dicky Dahlheimer's & Patrick Steel's BlackBird & Ninja during the speed run. :D

Ted,

I know where you can get a new LeeCraft 460 if you would like to up the tunnel speeds there in Minnesota as well!!!!!.................... :) I would hate for you to be stuck with only Blackbirds and Ninjas to see these speeds..... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ted,

I know where you can get a new LeeCraft 460 if you would like to up the tunnel speeds there in Minnesota as well!!!!!.................... :) I would hate for you to be stuck with only Blackbirds and Ninjas to see these speeds..... ;)
Thanks, but no thanks Ron.. Like the Great Mic said in his earlier post "I'm only fixing my Son's boats(Tunnels)". Same here. Don't have time for Tunnels - that's why I don't do them anymore. B) I will save the money I would have spent on a Tunnel & I'm gonna buy a plane ticket down to Brandon and watch you guys fight it out - if you ever decide to come to that consensus.. That is ONE race - I wouldn't want to miss.. :)

Hahahahaha...........just poking at ya Ted........ :) You just seemed to be so upset that the thread had settled down I thought I would throw you a bone. Distance makes it very hard, always has, for many groups across the country to race together and feed off of each other. For that reason, we are stuck here to share our stories, and as we learned earlier in this thread, the stories some may feel are fishy stories may not be so fishy after all............ ;) Happy Boating!!!!!!

Baxter,

You know there are many hull manufacturers that build fiberglass radio boxes that will fit that Leecraft XTR21 so you don't have to build one. I got one a couple of weeks ago from Alfred Lanza and I think he had more on the way. Do you need his contact information?

Baxter,

You know there are many hull manufacturers that build fiberglass radio boxes that will fit that Leecraft XTR21 so you don't have to build one. I got one a couple of weeks ago from Alfred Lanza and I think he had more on the way. Do you need his contact information?
I rather build my own boxes ;)

This post started about Lee Crafts and congratulations on their recent and continued success. As my dad stated earlier the HTV we run, and have had success with both at the Impba nationals and worlds has the old Lee Craft bottom. I’ve run that boat for over 15 years, and know its competitive now and years ago. I’m probably one of the few guys in this hobby that has literally never rigged a radio box or set up my own boat, so I definitely fall into the category of just a driver. As a driver in the past 5 years I’ve got to run against most of the best this side of the Mississippi, and unfortunately never got to run a heat against Tommy as our paths never crossed even when I was younger. Tommy’s one I really wish I could’ve run, just to have raced the legend.

As for everyone with a 60 Mph tunnel, I know it’s real, and for those trying to get there it’s possible. I think my 20 mod, and 40 mod are capable of 60 +. I also know I’ve run over a 1000 heats since I was a kid starting at the age of 8 until now. In over 1000 heats, and by a land slide, I’ve lost more than I’ve won. For me losing teaches lessons, and here is one lesson I’ve learned. My set up that might approach the mythical 60 mph (maybe more), never runs lap times even close to my set up that is 5 Mph slower. We threw away the GPS three years ago, went to a stop watch, and our race record improved. It’s hard for me to not laugh when I see so much attention to the Radar Gun, Gps, False God, Mph speed. Our families favorite line “Thank you for bringing your straightaway boat to a heat race” Most often those getting close to 60 Mph, are chasing a number that on a stop watch is nowhere near your best. As for guys such as Jimmy Johnson, Grimm, Wittrig, Drake. These guys do heat race at 60 +, but these are also tunnels world record holders, and the elite. Just because Jimmy says he can run 60 doesn’t make it a good idea for everyone else.

Can’t wait to see everyone at Charleston, and look forward to hopefully seeing a few straightaway boats at the heat race. If you can run 60 +, and I’m in your heat just remember you have enough speed on the outside, and the slower guys like me would really appreciate lane one at the start. I’ll stay out of your way and promise never to cross into those outside lanes slowing your straightaway speed down.

Jay Halbrehder

Only one thing I can say is that I have never in my life owned a straightaway boat, all my boats are all heat racing boats and if 59 and 60 is what they are doing so be it, but I am a true racer I hold lane, one and if you have it and let me in then its gone. When I raced with Jimmy , Tony Rhodes, Joe Monohand, Mark Grims crew,everyone stopped what they were doing because they know it was going to be a race and not some speed record. If 60mph was what it took to win atlease I knew I had it, and if driving against a boat that had the same speed then I had the SKILLS to do that too. Calling a fast boat a straightaway boat is kinda a kick in the nut sack. Do you think that we dive on the outside? Not here. Yes there are plenty of boats that are fast and ppl cant drive them worth a hill of beans, you will not find that to be the case here. What will you do when you are out driven and out powered?

P.S. I will be there in 2012 :) Just stirring up the wasp nest a bit :) Man this tread is 7 pages deep, must be boat season :) 2012 World Tunnel Championships, or is there some thing better?

All this talk about Leecraft hulls got me curious.

I have purchased the one pictured(Being shipped to me in Aus at the moment).

Any idea who might have originally owned this 7.5 Leecraft with the number "24"?

Let's just set a date for all the 40tunnels form all over the world to met if you don,t like the tunnel champs pick a place that works , i,ll be there ,winner take all, that's the best way to settle this one, by the way I have the fastest 40 tunnel I've ever seen lolo

My 2 cents

Shane

Let's just set a date for all the 40tunnels form all over the world to met if you don,t like the tunnel champs pick a place that works , i,ll be there ,winner take all, that's the best way to settle this one, by the way I have the fastest 40 tunnel I've ever seen lolo

My 2 cents

Shane
That would be fun! Im just joking around, but serious about racing, I'm sure there are a lot of awesome racers, me I just like to go by ya down the straight and hang ten on the buoys. You guys have fun.

P.S. I will be there in 2012 :) Just stirring up the wasp nest a bit :) Man this tread is 7 pages deep, must be boat season :) 2012 World Tunnel Championships, or is there some thing better?

WTC 2012 nope there IS NOT a better tunnel race on the planet. I think the west coast representative and the reigning champion should be paired in every heat. Other than the obvious "Shane" anyone else want a piece of that. Be careful what you ask for!

:p Mic :eek:

John looks like the smacks starting a little early this year. Guys don't forget the Brandon Tri-Oval Tunnel race November 19,20 2011

WTC 2012 nope there IS NOT a better tunnel race on the planet. I think the west coast representative and the reigning champion should be paired in every heat. Other than the obvious "Shane" anyone else want a piece of that. Be careful what you ask for!

actually I did see the 2010 World Tunnel Championship on metimerc site, watched the whole thing, no comment.

The CMB Club has not set our race dates for 2012 but traditionally the WTC race is the last weekend in April. In 2012 that would be April 27-29. Just an alert for long range planning purposes but do not totally rely on those dates until the club approves them.

Jay,

I'm not sure if any of the faster tunnels are coming to Charleston, but with your last post, that may change at the WTC the first of next year....... ;) I'm just looking forward to getting more "wheel time" as the "riding a bike" theory doesn't work in RC boat racing. I had no idea I would be so rusty........ See ya at the Fall Nationals!!!!

Only one thing I can say is that I have never in my life owned a straightaway boat, all my boats are all heat racing boats and if 59 and 60 is what they are doing so be it, but I am a true racer I hold lane, one and if you have it and let me in then its gone. When I raced with Jimmy , Tony Rhodes, Joe Monohand, Mark Grims crew,everyone stopped what they were doing because they know it was going to be a race and not some speed record. If 60mph was what it took to win atlease I knew I had it, and if driving against a boat that had the same speed then I had the SKILLS to do that too. Calling a fast boat a straightaway boat is kinda a kick in the nut sack. Do you think that we dive on the outside? Not here. Yes there are plenty of boats that are fast and ppl cant drive them worth a hill of beans, you will not find that to be the case here. What will you do when you are out driven and out powered?

You go brother........ ;)

All this talk about Leecraft hulls got me curious.

I have purchased the one pictured(Being shipped to me in Aus at the moment).

Any idea who might have originally owned this 7.5 Leecraft with the number "24"?
Brad,

I saw that boat on eBay and I almost bid on it until I saw it was painted only and was not gel coated. You got a great hull for sure. Since you do not know the history, be sure to tear the engine down first thing and go through it and replace all four bearings. Looks like LeeCraft International is in on it's way!!!!! Let me know of I can do anything to help you once you get the boat.

Back