LeeCraft Tunnels win first in A Mod and B Mod at 2011 NAMBA Nats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonShaw

Vendor
Tommy Lee's original LeeCraft is STILL the standard all other outboards available today have followed in one way or another. Glad to see the original design is still so competitive 18 years later!!!!! GO TEAM LEECRAFT!!!!

Pssssst......Ya might also say 1st and 3rd place B Mod "K&B outboards"

Old School Rules!

Ok continue :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
My little 3.5 stocker is still number one around my area.... I tried a VS1 with an OS a couple years ago and never could beat this Lee.....

36369_139627266047756_100000014504036_407529_6504453_n.jpg

My little 3.5 stocker is still number one around my area.... I tried a VS1 with an OS a couple years ago and never could beat this Lee.....

Nice paint scheme on that LeeCraft. Great picture........... ;)

Nice photo. Obviously taken by someone who can take pictures better than he can drive. :rolleyes:

JD

I'll have to give it to JD. He is always looking for a lane between an orange bouy and another boat!!!!!...... ;)

Hi Ron, Leecrafts have always been my favorite tunnel hull. I think the XTR was introduced around '96. There was a boat before that called the XT120. It was just as, if not more successful than the XTR. Hopefully Rod Geraghty will chime in. If I'm not mistaken he was involved in the design of both boats. The 120 is the boat I am looking for, even just a photograph! I can't seem to find even that. Lol. I met Rod and Tommy at the 96 Fort Wayne 'nats. They both had incredible wood tunnelhulls. Rod your 7.5 was awesome no doubt, BUT that orange/wood 3.5 Tommy had was over the top. Long live Leecraft......

pic of it on the table.....I've had this boat and engine combo since 2001.

37346_139317332745416_100000014504036_405398_5055917_n.jpg

Hi Ron, Leecrafts have always been my favorite tunnel hull. I think the XTR was introduced around '96. There was a boat before that called the XT120. It was just as, if not more successful than the XTR. Hopefully Rod Geraghty will chime in. If I'm not mistaken he was involved in the design of both boats. The 120 is the boat I am looking for, even just a photograph! I can't seem to find even that. Lol. I met Rod and Tommy at the 96 Fort Wayne 'nats. They both had incredible wood tunnelhulls. Rod your 7.5 was awesome no doubt, BUT that orange/wood 3.5 Tommy had was over the top. Long live Leecraft......

Joe,

Get me your cell number and I will text you a few pics. I ran Tommy's original 3.5 from the molds you have, and I got the XT120 when it was introduced, and then the XTR120 right when I stopped running boats around 1996. I bought it and another 460 from Tommy and I have them in my garage and still have not built them. Can't seem to drill a hole on them knowing the tunnel master himself built these boats. I did pick up another used 120 from Ron Saxvic that was also built by Tommy, finished it a couple of weeks ago at the Capitol RC Race. I have a 120 I purchased from Alfred Lanza as well that I may use to build an electric.

I have always been a big fan of T. Lee's boats, They are hard to beat when you know the boat and how it behaves in certain situations. I think that the HTB has become my choice in 40 tunnel, but for 20 tunnel Lee craft rules.

I have always been a big fan of T. Lee's boats, They are hard to beat when you know the boat and how it behaves in certain situations. I think that the HTB has become my choice in 40 tunnel, but for 20 tunnel Lee craft rules.
Look at the bottom of the HTB. It's a LeeCraft 460 bottom copy, hands down. That bottom was designed by Tommy and Rod with the deep cut on the starboard side, standard cut and minimal strake on the port side, and the secondary ride pads in the tunnel. The HTB came out AFTER the LeeCraft in case they would like to argue over who came up with that design first. Vision, Linx, Cobra, Shaman, they have all copied in some way or another parts of this winning bottom design. For that very reason, the LeeCraft Hulls will FOREVER be competitive.

Ron I agree with you 100% The 40 Lee is super fast so is the HTB but due to my driving style which is very aggressive the HTB handles the diving into the lanes that are left open better the the 40 Lee seems to me, just my opinion. But all the boats are from the Lee one way or another. The 20 Lee that won the NAMBA nats was one of our boats that went to Troy then to A.L which he is an awesome driver and a very good person, its going to be hard shadow boxing next year lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Alfred seems to be a great guy and like the rest of us, and avid RC boater. I have only talked with him on the phone and exchanged emails about a boat and other LeeCraft items I needed. I can say everything I have purchased from him since getting back into this hobby in May has been exactly as represented. My personal goal is to increase the popularity of the LeeCrafts on the East Coast to help him increase sales to the point that the future of LeeCrafts is alive and well.

Lee Craft is the end all solve all in boat racing in the .20 class, as for the .40 class Lee craft has some issues that were never worked out, and HTB to me is the answer. Still in good water on a good day the .40 Lee will be hard to beat if not impossible.

Ok old home week is over. I have all the respect for Tommy & Rod and everything they created. Mr Lanza is making fine products and he and a few others running on the West Coast are some very good tunnel racers. But reality is the Namba Nationals held west of the Mississippi is pretty much loaded with leeCrafts so not surprising they win. How many boats and what Brands actually ran? Now when you get to the east coast it's a little different. Even on a down year Charleston will have 20-30 boats in the sport21,.21 & .45 mod tunnel classes. The only numbers close to that I have seen is the IMPBA Internats a few years back and mainly in Sport 21. I Have been to the Internats 3 out of the last 4 years, Charleston Worlds for 5 years ,and Florida races have a level of competition second to no area. Winning Lee Crafts are rare at any of these races. They have been availiable for longer but few race them.

I have owned and driven HTB's 290 & 360, lee Crafts, Visions, Lynx and Shaman plus my own boat which is a variation of the early Lee before the XT series. I have a pretty good idea of what works and wins. So Please Bring em!!!! Like it says below "THE STONE AGE DIDN'T END CAUSE THEY RAN OUT OF STONES".

Mic

Hahaha. Great addition to the conversation Mic. I wish Alfred and his gang would come east so we could all pit these boats against each other. I have heard from many people how great the site and competition is in Charleston. I'm getting a chance to see first hand at the Fall Nationals. Can't wait to see how all of these LeeCrafts and Leecraft byproducts run. I'm impressed at the number of entries. Looks like the numbers we used to have at the big races back when I used to run in the 90's. All this aside, the most fun for me will be seeing new and old boating friends and playing toy boats for the weekend.

Ron, Look forward to meeting you at Charleston. Glad you have a sense of humor. I am interested in your choice of boats after the WTC next spring when the classes will be larger yet. I wish sometime we could get an East coast West coast tunnel race but Charleston to this point has the best tunnel race ever in RC. Years back the Minute Breakers used to put on the "Spangler" at Lambs Farm in Chicago which was a great all tunnel race. Our tunnel races at Brandon Fl bring in 50-70 tunnels and is growing. No free heats there as in a 14 boat class you will face a US-1, a National champion, a world record holder, and a World tunnel Champion and that may be the easy heat of the split. Tunnels are very alive and well on this coast.

Namba does keep times at their Nationals for the fastest boat running 6 laps in competition. A mod and A OPC fast times were Lynx. B OPC was a Shaman and B mod I am not sure what Mark Grim ran but histoically runs a Seismic Aftershock. No leeCrafts won fastest times? OPC was dominated by Drake/Van Houten boats, lynx/Shaman. And a Shaman ran the fastest laps at the Namba FE nationals P-OPC tunnel. No smack here just the facts.

Mic

Latest posts

Back