LA SAWS WAS A "BLAST"

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Oxidean

:D Well, I'm home after a 109mph speeding ticket lol :blink:

Once again a kick-butt event..

Slow to get going, whereas it was much easier to break records last year with the intro of lipo..

Scores are high now, its hard for us to even catch our own tails! But we did..

Day 1 yielded ZERO records, but day 2 proved different..

Plenty records for such a modest group, food was killer, plenty of great LA water, moderate weather..

Once again, I'm glad I came.. Grabbed 2 records N-1 mono and N-2 offshore..

Got my N-2 mono into the 60's but soaked both speedos and couldn't blast that setup anymore (boo Hoo)

Once again Brian was my "prop wizzard" Thanx! I appreciate all the odds and ends everyone helped me out with..

Fun seeing the "Hot-Boys" down there.. Jay "The Man" Turner, Jim "Fast Electric" Vaughn and "Scratch Builder" Steve

Speaking of "Scratch Builder" Steve, that man scratch built the most unique yet conventional monos I've EVER seen..

I've seen clowns bend and glue some wood together in funny shapes, and try 'em out , but these monos were HUSTLIN' buddy..

I mean, they ran SA-WEET!!!! Good buddy set a record or two with 'em!!!

The monos had minimal bow area, and.. You just have to see 'em.. Freakin' STABLE.

Ayep! This was a "must see" event as usual.. Rules were proposed that aren't up for discussion.. :D :ph34r: :rolleyes: B) :huh: :eek:

But I'm gonna' let someone else tell it.. I'm beat..

EXTRA special thanx to all my sponsors.. Thanx Randy Naylor (Get Well Randy) who got off his effing sick bed to put me on deck and see to it that we continued our tradition of

EXCELLENCE.. We still have the most SAWS records in zee country.. :D Hi Randy! :D

Mark Fereirra is a BIG TIME SAWS DUDE.. This Noble skipper was the first electric sport Hydro over 100 bux!!!

When Mark's boats come on? They COME ON!!!!!! and it dosen't take him a ton of runs either.. :angry: I wish i could get down like that LoL.. :p

Darrin, ok, I know I told you I'd get 37, but I had a solid 33 pass in N-1 LoL :D Trinity sent me an EPIC motor which ALWAYS has silly rpm that unloads up top

FUN N-1 runs.. motor came in EXTREMELY COLD on a Patrick Mc Donald prepped X-435 after 4-passes!! I'm talking 540 cold..

534 plastic was slower and hot? I need a "cupped to death" 435 or a seriously relieved and thinned Y-535 possibly blade patterned to a 435 and modestly cupped and relieved..

I'll second that! A small group but did we have fun. I added it up, I was just shy of 30 passes over 85 mph for the weekend. Certainly can't complain about that. I sank the only boat at the event and it had help <_< . Luckily the diver found it in about 10 minutes :D .

Weather was great, we had to wait for the wind in afternoons (big mono water) as usual but the mornings were 5 hours of glass and about an hour in the evenings.

Mark Grim ran a perfect event for us, couldn't have gone smoother. Thanks for all the help and advice, I couldn't have gotten to this level with you.

Talk about food Kim Grim cooked up fantastic lunches for us all three days. If you went home hungry, you just weren't trying. Thanks Kim, you know where to send the leftovers ;) .

Thanks to Ray Fuller for putting up the money to keep us speed freaks going.

It was great to see the Texas boys again. Jay with that big old cat doing aerobatics (sort of reminds me of my sport hydros), Jim with that rediculous sniper running 10S, Steve with what my be the smoothest SAW monos out there.

Wilmer, the battery cycling king. Nobody puts in more runs. That N2 boat is really starting get with it.

Mark F with that over the top 10S sport hydro making a 105mph pass :eek: .

All the racers, you couldn't ask for a better group to go play with.

Thanks again and see ya next year!

This was an outstanding event, in the tradition of past LA SAWs. Meeting old friends for a few days of fun going fast was the best part - but the racing was awesome too. We witnessed some incredible passes, Mark F's T Sport Hydro (!) was very impressive. I was expecting something in the 80s, but the boat just kept accelerating! I've seen some very fast gas sport hydros run at Legg, but this was something to see.

Jim's T Sniper was another surprise, it made its last pass just before dark on Sunday, and it was clearly into the 90s when it hit something near the lights and stopped. A broken steering servo and linkage kept him from making another attempt, we'll have to wait until next year.

Steve made several passes over 70 mph with his wooden mono, running 1P! Heck, with enough power that boat may have 80 in it.

The Aquacraft RTR sport hydro that Brian ran was something else too. If the rest of the production boats are like that one, watch out. 65 mph with little more than a prop change...... :eek:

The weather was all one could ask for, and like Brain said, the food........ While I loved Jason's barbeque at the Valdosta SAWs, I'd have to say I prefer the Cali cusine cooked up by Kim. Burgers, dogs, chicken, tacos.....the list goes on. And there was enough of it so I could indulge in overeating, it was that good. :rolleyes:

I sure want to thank both Ray and Mark in particular for putting on this event. Chris and Don were there to help too, all the FE guys appreciated it. Even though my own racing program stunk (you know the smell) it was great to hang with all these hard core SAW guys (fuel and FE) once again. :)

/

I have to say that the part of the weekend I was there was great, I must have been the

one with the least amount of runs... it was just not my weekend, I think adding it all together

must have been half day of race and most of the time I was fixing stuff in the pits.

Coming to think of it, I had one run. :(

I did though, get to see the good stuff happening (except Mark's 105 pass), the food

that Kim cooked up was great and affordable (Kim those "dogs" were awesome, what were they?),

weather was great, lake awesome for most of the day and the company needless to say, "cream de la cream".

Learned a lot about a lot Thanks all for sharing all the info that you did.

Ray, Mark, thanks for making this happen again and I am already counting the days to next year...

BTW, I'll come to the next event in 2 weeks, gotta love California for that great weather.

We all did have a great time! Good food and freinds are always a good mix! I really enjoyed every ones company and talking with you all again.

Kim: Great job with the chow! As always you did not disappiont!

Mark G: Thank you for a wonderful event. It went off without a hitch even with out your lap top! Thanks for putting in the time.

Mark F: I could not have gotten the Q record with out your help! Thank you for your input and helping hands with geting ready.

Jay T: It was great to see you again this year! You put on quite a show with that LARGE cat! Thanks for your wisdom you bring to these events!

Brain B: Awsome! The stuff you put on the table every year is just that, awesome! Super FAST!

Jim V: That sniper was an sweet machine! A work of art and to bring an S and T mono from Texas is quite a feet all in its self! Thanks for sharing you super oil with me. I know it made a differance!

Steve: You got to take all the cake! First saws in a hand built boat crushing my P mono record to boot!! Great job!

Bill O: As always love to see your flying fish! You always put on quite a show!

Jan: Im sorry you could not make it out but Fri and Sun. Get those boats ready for the next one in two weeks.

Tony: Alway great to see you! Thanks for coming out and testing yuor stuff out!

I took a huge amont of photos at this event! Please PM me your info and Ill get you a copy of them!!

Thanks again!

Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it was a good one, sorry I missed it :(

Will someone be posting the official results?

Chris

Sounds like it was a good one, sorry I missed it :(
Will someone be posting the official results?

Chris
I'll tell ya', In my years of SAWS rcacing, I must say that every one has been a history making event..

Never miss a SAWS.. Its always epic

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the trip out west to LA was certainly worthwhile and really enjoyable!

For myself, and I am reasonably certain that I can speak for all the HOTMBC participants in saying:

Well Done!! Mark & Kim Grim, you put on a marvelously enjoyable event! Your club's team effort was awesome!

Many Heartfelt Thanks, to Ray Fuller for his continuing sponsorship of this remarkable event! (How many is this now RAY?)

Beautiful Facility at Legg Lake park! Thanks to the LA Parks & Recreation Commission.

The weather was simply marvelous - Thanks Lord!

I really enjoyed meeting all the NAMBA "West Coasters", their hospitalilty and friendliness was truly exceptional.

I cannot imagine a group with more camaraderie and enthusiasm for making these little "Toy Boats" go FAST!

For me the highlights were many, the 10 that were most notable (and that come to mind right now) were:

10.) Wilmer's "Break Dancing" mono's breaking those N records.

9.) That 105 MPH hydro run by Mark F's 10S boat. (Whoa! Who saw that one coming!)

8.) Jay's Sprint Cat making that mid-run back flip and finishing the run as if he had been practicing that maneuver for months! (Score: 10, 10, 10!)

7.) Ducks.... Lots & lots and lots of Ducks!!

6.) Wilmer's N2 mono stuffing and dissapearing for... how long?!

5.) Fred's amazing Q-Mono! (I think that thing has plenty more GO in it!)

4.) Kim's WONDERFUL mexican food!

3.) Jim's hair-raising T Mono and those fast, Fast, FAST passes

2.) Brian's amazing riggers! (Man those little boats are FAST!!!!...and deadly!)

1.) Being able to get at least three passes with my little wooden Tortuga ARROW at 70 MPH or over!

In short, I had a BLAST!!!

I would, however, like to correct a mis-statement that I have seen somewhere.

On my record run, I made one good pass at over 70, but the best backup that I could manage was only a little over 65.

Hence I was only able to bump the official P-Mono record up to only a hair above 67.4 MPH.

(I gotta get that line figured out!)

Last but certainly not least, thanks to my fellow HOTMBC members who helped me every step of the way!

Jim & Jay, you guys ROCK!

Steve-O

This was a very good time for me as well. It felt good to be able to just show up and run my boats and then go home. Thanks to Mark grimm and family for all their hard work at this event every year. Ray fuller for his sponsorship every year. This make 8 of them. I was needless to say very surprised with my sport hydro. I was hoping to maybe, if I was lucky, possibly crack 90 mph with this boat. This was the first time in the water with my new motor and when I went out to just do a shake down run I was amazed when I heard Mark say, you just went 95 mph. I though wow mabe I should try going a little deeper and see what shes got. the whole time I was saying to myself during the run was please stay on the water and I was just waiting for the massive blow over, but it never happened and now I am really excited to go back out and try some different props. I ran the same setup in my mono but couldn't get the boat to loosen up enough to get going. I will be working on fixing that problem right away.

Mark

Thanks so much to Mark, Chris, Kim, Don and all the Seismic Amigos for another outstanding LASAWs! We certainly missed seeing the great sponsor of the event, Ray Fuller. As usual, it was only the best of everything. Getting a couple of records in the S class with the big mono was fun, but that last run at sundown Sunday with 10S power was amazing. I just wish the boat had gone a few feet farther to record the speed. We'll be back next year with an even bigger crew from the HOTMBC!

Guys,

We have posted an album of photos from the LA SAW on the HOTMBC.net website.

Just go to the Gallery Page, it will be the first album listed.

If anyone else has a few photos they would like to contribute to the album, send me a PM and we'll arrange to get them posted up.

Regards,

Never miss a SAWS.. Its always epic

A special note to anyone out there that wants to advance their knowledge of this great hobby : Come to the SAWS ! Meet and learn from the Best !! For myself, I showed up with no boats record-worthy, but just to hang out with these fine people was a priviledge I wouldn't miss for the world. Thank you all for letting me look over your shoulder & pester you with questions; I gained some good stuff which I'm already applying to my fleet. Special thanks of cource to Ray, and to Mark Grim who was glued to the timing equip sunup to sundown, and to Kim for the fine eats. Congrats to everyone, & I'm missin' you already. See 'yall down the road hopefully soon!!

A great thread. Well done all of you and I think that Tony will be back with a vengeance next year. It is superb how you guys share your knowledge.

Douggie

Back