Kevlar .12 Rigger Project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sponsons are Kevlar sheeted foam with material I made. I just happened to have one of the wood sheeted ones to weigh.

The wood sheeted one is 1.0 oz and still needs to be sealed, the Kevlar sheeted one is .6 oz. Almost 50% lighter!

The motor mount is CF plate and the motor bolts to it using the backing plate screws.

That is a cool idea with the mount. That will save a ton of weight!

WOW 50% lighter & already fuel proof. That is really cool!!!

Mike,

I like the back end setup, looks very simple and light! 8) Is the rudder standoff held by the bolt which also holds the strut, or are they seperate bolts?

The kevlar sponsons aren't moulded are they? They are built just like normal sponsons, but with cured kevlar sheets instead? Do the edges bond well with this technique?

Looking good!

Ian.

Ian,

There is only one bolt for the strut and rudder stand off.

The sponsons are made the traditional way with the cured kevlar sheets and foam. The edges are good so far, however they are not done yet but I don't see any problems.

-MikeP

I changed the rudder a bit, I was afraid of the rudder flooding the prop when I turned right with it mounted on the left. Made a little bit better mount out of CF.

wow, that really makes it look as if you actually know what you're doing mike! hehehe

that is really neat looking. never seen anything like it. i look forward to seeing some vids.... awesome!

Well Mike with the file I sent you, it should be a piece of cake for a craftsman like yourself. ;) If you want, I can cut some section for you if it will make it easier.

Rember though, you have to give them a name in order to use them!! LOL ;D

Back