Kevlar .12 Rigger Project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

Now that you have built a few of these composite boats, do you think there is a weight advantage over light weight wood construction? ??? It looks to me like there is a bit more work in the composite boats, but I guess if you get moulds then making more becomes easier.

Hey Tim,

Mike has built at least 3 boats in the time you have been building yours! :p

Nitrocrazed racing: Pot calling the kettle black....

Thanks Don.

Saugling,

I plan to toss it this Sunday

Mike,

Now that you have built a few of these composite boats, do you think there is a weight advantage over light weight wood construction? ??? It looks to me like there is a bit more work in the composite boats, but I guess if you get moulds then making more becomes easier.
Nitrocrazed,

I think the composite boats and the light weight wood boats come out about the same weight.

I have two sponsons. 1 is made with 1/8" lite ply on the inside edge the rest is sheeted with 1/32 ply. I used only thin carpet tape and CA to build it(no epoxy) it still needs to be sealed with something. It weighs 1 oz.

The other sponson is built with cured kevlar sheet. It's finished weight is .6 oz. On this type of construction is is half the weight.

When building a boat and trying to keep it under 2 lbs. I can save a few ounces with composites and it makes a difference.

-MikeP

Nice work Mike! You really got me inspired so I decided to build one myself as well. Not for a .12 engine but for a 26 cc gasoline, I know it's a whole diferent kind of engine and boat design will also different but still working materials are the same.

Julius

Mike,

Thanks for your views! 8)

How do you feel about Carbon fibre vs Kevlar for model boats? Carbon is supposed to be stiffer, Kevlar stronger. I would have thought that the toughness and strength of Kevlar is more useful for our model boats than the stiffness of carbon fibre?

Ian.

My unerstanding was that Kevlar's advantage was wear resistance. Carbon is brittle.

Carbon fiber and Kevlar are only as good as the epoxy/adhesive you use.

Carbon/Kevlar doesn't fail.... The epoxy/ahesive fails.....

tim, doh! you've got the drain holes on the right side of the boat.

well, maybe whirlpools do spin in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere, so it may work better that way for ya ;D

Clay,

You had me thinking there, but when I had a close look at the pic, that is the engine compartment with the drain hole in it with the radio compartment behind, so the drain hole is on the left!! ;D

Either that or Tim has a drain hole in his radio box.... : :)

Nitrocrazed racing: Is that radio in your water box?

ah yeah, i was looking at it the wrong way. he's got it on the left, right, the left, right? hehe looks good tim.

lol, what time is it there? i wasn't expecting a response so quick. it's 1:30 am here in miami ;)

Back