Kevlar .12 Rigger Project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
go for it mike!

kevlar's awesome, my kev-coated mono can get dinged, bashed, scraped, kicked, beaten [okay maybe not kicked or beaten :) ] and still not show a single tiny scratch in the finish. trust me, i put it in the back of a pickup covered in bubblewrap, it somehow popped the cord tying the wrap on and got loose, 30 minutes of my 17 year old bro driving and not a mark. never tried shooting it, but then again it hasnt seen water yet so that may be yet to come :D

Joe

Well I screwed up :'( I didn't get the ballistic Kevlar. I guess I'll have to be careful handling guns around it.

I shaped the desired hull out of spyder foam and gave it a coat of epoxy. Sanded it with 180 grit. Brushed on a seconed coat and wet sanded it with 400. Foam polishes up pretty easy. I thought it would be harder than it was.

Hey Mike, this looks very similar to some pics of a rigger I saw on Andys site from when he was in Poland. It looks like a torpedo, If you have never seen them, take a look. Or is this where you got the idea? I was wondering how that hull handled. looks really cool. ~ James

I have been searching R/C glider sites for info an making molds and laying up composite fabric. I think thats were the idea came from. Kinda looks like a glider fuse. Couldn't figure out how to make a Round CF tail boom work.

-MikeP

Those torpedo sponsons really go well with the hull. I would like to see the bottoms.

-MikeP

Mike,

I have another pic of that boat, but still doesnt show the sponson shape very well.

What is Kevlar like to work with? I have heard it is very difficult to cut cleanly after it is moulded. But it is cheaper than carbon fibre, and tougher. I think the toughness is probably more important for boats than the high stiffness of carbon.

Ian.

I really enjoy seeing the fabrication on these boats. Very interesting to me.

I came up with some ideas of my own.

That makes it look like a squid!!!! ;D would you do something like that (assuming you wouldn't actually use the spoons) as a type of rear sponson?

Well it was just a joke, but it does look interesting.

Rear spoons... why not?

Latest posts

Back