KEP's 21 T3 builds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad will bring it for me at our first race boat next two month
default_wink.png

Greg and mine have the front boom and Allan and Butch have the rear adjustable. Greg PM your phone number as your's mite have a ride to GP on Easter weekend. Yours and Allan"s are just about done and then I will start 3 KEP's 4SL builds so mine will be awhile yet before it's done plus Mark's scale and a new JAE 45 build to finish and a Coyote 90, soo.......

Brad

Of course, every one has their own ideas and can do whatever they want of course as its a freebie.
default_smile.png

If you stay away from the foam based tapes, its a really good system that is a quite nice feature if you ask me. Its good (I think) to be able to change/adjust the ski and ride-pads and when they are separate its much easier to keep the edges sharp as I dont paint them either. I just use laminating epoxy on them - not even clear coat.

Ive used adjustable sponson tubes before and I don like it at all. It makes it more difficult to build, repair and the set-up changes etc. I redesign it until im happy with the handling - then it becomes a freebie. I dont even use adjustable tubes when doing a new boat.
default_smile.png

Another advantage is that its easier to seal it and paint it also with them not permanenty attached.

But as you have most likely not seen a boat live with that system its hard to get that message through so to speak. But I promiss you, its good. Another feature that is really good and not that easy to explain either is the sponson tube locking feature with the 2mm carbon locking pins instead of screws etc. It's really easy to do and it locks them solid and you dont squeeze the tubes as screws do. Then just use tape over it to hold the pin. You need a bit more wall thicknes on the tubes you glue in the sponsons and tub though to guide the locking pin. I use 10x12 mm alu tubes in the tub and sponsons and pultruded 8x10 mm carbon tubes - really ridgid and they crash very good if you hit a bouy.

I use the same system on the .45 with the same tape and the same locking pins for the sponson tubes and have had zero issues there also.
default_smile.png

/Niklas

Brad,

With the new propellers from ABC it will be nice to be able to adjust the boat.

The tape has a lot of other uses also, great to have in your pit box.

The pins work great Niklas, getting ready to go test some boats here today.

Thanks For All You Do For Us,

Mark Sholund

Brad,

With the new propellers from ABC it will be nice to be able to adjust the boat.

The tape has a lot of other uses also, great to have in your pit box.

The pins work great Niklas, getting ready to go test some boats here today.

Thanks For All You Do For Us,

Mark Sholund
Hi Mark,

Have you experienced the same things I did with the 17 deg rake prop - as in massive torque roll?

(when I tested it the left sponson was high in the air, needed to put in left rudder to somewhat keep the sponson down)

Found any "solution" to that?
default_smile.png

/Niklas

I will build a back-up boat and build it to plan ( better known as Mark's boat, sons ) and see. I have not found a thin tape like that yet. Niklas does a great job of designing and testing and it is hard to change old habits but change is good and is called progress. The 4SL builds will be tape as Bob has talked with Niklas.

Thanks Niklas

Brad

Niklas,

We have found the solution.

38% blade area ratio instead of 45% blade area ratio.

Problem is making all new molds for the new less blade area percentage.

Jim is working hard to accommodate the: nitro, electric, and gas boaters.

I will be testing some of the newer blades hopefully this week? Lots of wind in the Spring here.

I will let you know what worked well on what, as soon as I can verify through on the water testing.

Thanks,

Mark

I will build a back-up boat and build it to plan ( better known as Mark's boat, sons ) and see. I have not found a thin tape like that yet. Niklas does a great job of designing and testing and it is hard to change old habits but change is good and is called progress. The 4SL builds will be tape as Bob has talked with Niklas.

Thanks Niklas

Brad
There must be some simmilar tapes available on your side of the pond also from lets say mcmaster. I will google.
default_smile.png

Niklas,

We have found the solution.

38% blade area ratio instead of 45% blade area ratio.

Problem is making all new molds for the new less blade area percentage.

Jim is working hard to accommodate the: nitro, electric, and gas boaters.

I will be testing some of the newer blades hopefully this week? Lots of wind in the Spring here.

I will let you know what worked well on what, as soon as I can verify through on the water testing.

Thanks,

Mark
Good to know that it was'nt just me then...
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

I found a variety of double sided tapes at McMaster -Carr, just like Niklas said. Different types of tape with different thicknesses. There should be enough thicknesses to test with. I can't rely on the seat of the pants method, so I ordered the Hitec Lynx radio with GPs for testing. Not enough people where I live to run against. I'll try to keep everyone posted once I get my boat from Brad.

Bob

Guys,

I found a variety of double sided tapes at McMaster -Carr, just like Niklas said. Different types of tape with different thicknesses. There should be enough thicknesses to test with. I can't rely on the seat of the pants method, so I ordered the Hitec Lynx radio with GPs for testing. Not enough people where I live to run against. I'll try to keep everyone posted once I get my boat from Brad.

Bob

This 3M VHB tape seems to be similar to the Stokvis one I use - its sold on a 5 yard roll though so it will last a lifetime...
default_wink.png

http://www.mcmaster.com/#76665a81/=11jc67h

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Products/~/3M-VHB-Tape-4905?N=6105+3293241546&rt=rud
/Niklas

Niklas,

Do you use multiple layers to make a desired thickness, or do you make different thickness ride pads?

Bob

Niklas,

Do you use multiple layers to make a desired thickness, or do you make different thickness ride pads?

Bob
Usually no more then 2 layers, then my tape starts to "flex". If needed to go more then that I add a layer of plywood on top of the ski and apply more epoxy to get more height. If on sponsons, yes - just make a thicker/thinner ride-pad. But normally while r&d:ing a new boat etc, most adjustements have been done to the ski height. Those have come off also and re-shaped/angled to get where I want. But if you build it to specs I doubt you need to adjust much. The height of the strut and strut aoa goes a long way to make it run good.

Niklas,

Thanks as always for all the feedback. I can't wait to get my boat from Brad. I have pretty much all the components, and I'll just have to paint and put it together. I even have some props ready to try. Just waiting for one more from Mark, a 1617 from ABC he recommended. I also bought a new radio with telemetry to get some realtime data.

Bob

Bob,

An ABC (1716-17-45) should arrive this week.

You have a good builder for that boat.

I think you will be VERY HAPPY.

Mark Sholund

Back