K&B Lower Unit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Limbocker

Hello All,

New to outboards boater here, I grease the shaft, and after 2-3 laps the grease is gone, I mean the shaft is bone dry like it was never greased. It is in a brass stuffing box no teflon liner, every thing there appears to be okay. What is going on? My inboards dont do this, I am sure I will need to go to an oiler I here CamaroBoy makes a good one. But before I go there I would like to know If anyone else has seen this and if If they figured out what is happening. Thanks for the help.

Craig Limbocker

Craig,

Try some different grease, I had the same problem and bought some Marine grease for full size boats and it works wonders, if not try some Grimracer cable grease from tower hobbies, this stuff works great to, maybe your grease is not made for the intentions it was designed for. Hope this helps

Beau

Large fuel filters for the gas buggies are commonly used as oil reservoirs on the ob's and are very cheap.

I use grease when using a brass liner, oil when using the teflon liner.

I prefer using the teflon liner in my 3.5 and 7.5 outboards.

Craig,

Try some different grease, I had the same problem and bought some Marine grease for full size boats and it works wonders, if not try some Grimracer cable grease from tower hobbies, this stuff works great to, maybe your grease is not made for the intentions it was designed for. Hope this helps

Beau
Beau, he is using mercury marine 2-4-C, I use the same grease but in an OS and it works great. this thing will be bone dry, not even an oil film when you pull it out. It's got me baffled too.

Hello All,

New to outboards boater here, I grease the shaft, and after 2-3 laps the grease is gone, I mean the shaft is bone dry like it was never greased. It is in a brass stuffing box no teflon liner, every thing there appears to be okay. What is going on? My inboards dont do this, I am sure I will need to go to an oiler I here CamaroBoy makes a good one. But before I go there I would like to know If anyone else has seen this and if If they figured out what is happening. Thanks for the help.

Craig Limbocker
Don't use grease. Use some oil and squirt it in the small hole in the plate where the motor mounts or get an oiler. I use bearing oil that they sell in the hobby shops for RC cars it comes in a little bottle with a small tube that fits right in the hole.

50/50 mix of STP or Lucas oil treatment and tranny fluid or marvelous mystery oil.....I shoot it in the hole @ the mounting plate between each run. Its quick and easy....Knock on wood I very rarely lose a shaft!! Just my 2 cents

chain saw bar lube & an oil squirt can, in the small hole on the motor mount plate at the top of the lower unit. pump it in until it comes out the bottom before each run. it's what i do with a brass or stainless liner in a k&b 3.5 lower, haven't lost a shaft in 3+ years of this method. kris flynn shafts in my mod tunnel, stock k&b shafts in my sport tunnel.

Back