Just got RCBM today

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CySlyde

Hey just wondering if anybody else saw this in the Periscope section of Octobers RCBM. in a grey colord box it has a marine turbo-jet turbine by MHZ. says it's for a 60" or longer boat, is axial flow 118000 RPM through a 2.7:1 gearbox to give 7hp

Saw that!! [SIZE=21pt]WOW [/SIZE] Hope to see one run some day!!!!!!!

Mark...

It will probably run next week by Tomas Hasenbein at the Heilbronn powerboat meeting, Europe's biggest.

I'm sure pictures will pop-up after the meeting everywhere

Julius

Guys,

What's gonna happen when that boat stuffs and the turbine is fed a lungful of water at 100K+ RPM? Have the guys at MHZ planned for such an inevitable occurance? I've had plans for modification of a GailBanks turbo charger into a fuel turbine for a while now. I've never even considered starting on it because I know it's a one time thing.............

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

Full size airplanes fly through rain storms and don't seem to have a problem. And full size hydroplanes use turbines with no problem, so why is everyone so concerned with running a model turbine on the water?

Derek,

When a full size turbine gets dunked, it's a very big problem. The models blow over much easier and more often than the real ones, so the rate of generating junk rotors would be much higher.

Boats using 2 stroke motors blow over all of the time, are they not just as likely to ingest water and do damage to the engines also?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys, I saw this boat running ( with turbine). First to say the boat is not build up to be very light, 2 1,5 liter kerosine tanks, 3 rc boxes, full cockipit interior ( I think the cowl weighs as much as my Cayman equipped with a 260 PUM). Total weight about 20 kg. The sound is awsome, put it in the water and then start remotely, hearing the turbine revving up.....it's like a jet airplane starting.

Thomas build ingenous airintakes that seperate the water from the air. Speed not yet very impressive, I'd say 60 km/h, tremendous throtlle lag of about 2 seconds. But the sound, hearing is believing in this case.

Julius

Back