JAE .45 BUILD QUESTIONS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boat is not JAE kit boat...

Or even same design.. I changed a lot of things

To suit myself and the boat..

Regards Aaron

I bought this JAE from a fellow and i do not like the idea of the brass tubes for the tub or sponsons BUT they are already in> how would i change them out and with what as to not change the setup as i don't have any plans so im not sure of the sponson/ tube measurement.

Jeff

I bought this JAE from a fellow and i do not like the idea of the brass tubes for the tub or sponsons BUT they are already in> how would i change them out and with what as to not change the setup as i don't have any plans so im not sure of the sponson/ tube measurement.

Jeff
Jeff,

Heat the tubes with a heat gun or hair dryer to break the epoxy bond. Once the bond is broken, they can be pulled out with a pair of needle nosed pliers.

Jeff
Jeff,

Heat the tubes with a heat gun or hair dryer to break the epoxy bond. Once the bond is broken, they can be pulled out with a pair of needle nosed pliers.
Or touch the brass tubes with a 100 watt soldering iron. Works great for me. Brass is a great heat conducter so this method works perfect.

I like gil's ideal on holding the boom tubes inside my tub. A single boomtube bracket will slide on the left side. So bolt -em in.

Thanks think ill try the iron first as i am trying to not effect much else around the bonded area

Just noticed the tube in the hull is glued right to the side of the one bulk head i think you call it> im not a builder so im not sure what you call it but its the piece of wood with the U shape cut in it. Anyway what im getting at is if / when i change out the tube to a bigger OD will i have to relocate this piece back a bit or just cut it out where the tubing is going to hit on it?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff if the tube is still glued into the hull use it as a guide to keep the drill bit centered when you drill the boom suport block for the larger od tube you want to use.

remember to figure your largest od that you will be using for the booms and add for the guide tube as well.

unsure if it is like the 21 where there is a small piece of brass threw the tub or if the booms are bolted to the block and AOA is adjustable.

Just curious why people are looking to put larger tubes in theses boats. We run the same size carbon as the 21's only solid and havent broken any except when a buoy was hit during a heat. If you put larger tubes in it takes more energy to break them so it will put more stress to the hull. This is the reason they use the smaller ones. We run every weekend and some days during the week and the small tubes have never shown signs of failing.

If you live were it snows then you can use snow driveway markers ,at Lowes or Home Depot. for boom tubes.,made from Fiberglass same dia 5/16 .

David Not larger just changing out the brass for carbon. Well yes i guess the OD is larger for Carbon but still plan to run the same size ID

Jeff

David Not larger just changing out the brass for carbon. Well yes i guess the OD is larger for Carbon but still plan to run the same size ID

Jeff
So Jeff you are planning on changing the guide tubes to carbon as well , as this is what it sounds like to me.

The brass threw the hull and in the sponsons are just guides. The main boom is made of carbon. If you change both to carbon you could have issues if you clip a bouy, as it might also damage the sponson tube if it is also carbon.

Would be better to leave the brass in the tub and sponsons and look at adding an insert into the carbon main booms if you want it stiffer.

This is what I am doing with the 21 I am building ( arrow shafts inside original carbon booms )

Jeff
Did that to my 45/60 JAE worked very well. Building a 21 now,it has carbon going thru the tub also...just a preference.

They don't have the 3\8 Id tubing. Anyone else have a source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back