JAE .45 BUILD QUESTIONS

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard H. Parshall jr.

I am going to build a JAE.45.. ALLREADY built a .21... love it!!! is the build process the same?? besides tub doublers and no dowels for turn fin?? any hints or info would be great!! thanks in advance....

rick p.

Hi Richard, if you look at the 45g plans you will see that wood blocks and wood dowels are used around the boom tubes and for securing the turn fin on the R sponson... I drilled holes through the dowels and used bolts with washers to secure the turn fin. The R sponson and the rudder mount area do all the work on the JAE 45 so use lots of epoxy and extra wood blocking. Look around IW and you will find many good ideas. Have fun, the JAE 45 is awesome.

Rick, the right sponson has a doubler that goes inside. Wood dowels will be drilled all the way threw to hold the turnfin. My first fin is in the bottom of the pond. ,yes the wood screws pulled right out. . Joe is having some standoffs made to replace the brass pipe.But not here yet.So hold off on the sponsons.until you hear from Joe. Notice the wedge with a hole in it. As for a turn fin my 1/8 JAE.21 fin bent like butter. So I went with the Accu teck fin. I got a fin made by Lawless drives also. Joe does not stock a .45 turn fin

http://accu-techrchardware.com/RTF-100.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The dowel rods have virtually NO support in the end grain, the screws pull out very easily. There is another option for the turn fin support. When building the sponson, insert a section of 3/4" OAK block to the inside of the sponson at the turn fin area, longer than the length of the screw holes. Using the inside sponson plate as a pattern, drill the fin holes through the wood. Insert blind nuts (use 8/32) on the back side of the oak block. You now have bolts to use to secure the fin to the sponson and they are pulling into the wood and not out if it. It will hold the fin in place.

David Preusse and Mike Hughes makes 45 turn fins for the JAE.

If you want the brass tubes to stay in place, insert some oak blocks where the tubes go through the sponsons. Redrill the holes using a drill press. The tubes will stay in place when glued to the oak blocks.

Another option with the turn fin mount is to just drill a hole all the way through both sides of the sponsons. I did that on my JAE .12 and so far I'm liking it because it is simple and really hard for failure to occur.

It would just need longer/bigger bolts for the .45 version.

In the sponsons I did't youse the doubler but 1/8" aluminium cut to the size of the doubler. Also you want to move the motor as far back as you can,need all weight on the back end you can get. I know some one who can make aluminium dowels for the sponsons. Look at my pic page they work great

Thanks Neil I do know that's a strange language for you ...anyway the idea is to help fellas start building their own boats with little assistance....btw lot of great suggestions here...Gill

Wow!! What a great bunch of hints!!! I like the balsa sponson idea and for turn fin an oak block and blind nuts.... I traced the parts from a short kit and have a b/n .45 engine pipe combo for it all the rest minus turn fin i guess i will go to zippkits !!! Like to keep the local economy happy! Thanks every body first i have 2 zippkitt Bullitt gassers to build, then on to JAE45. Our pond will be buzzin for sure this spring!!

The dowel rods have virtually NO support in the end grain, the screws pull out very easily. There is another option for the turn fin support. When building the sponson, insert a section of 3/4" OAK block to the inside of the sponson at the turn fin area, longer than the length of the screw holes. Using the inside sponson plate as a pattern, drill the fin holes through the wood. Insert blind nuts (use 8/32) on the back side of the oak block. You now have bolts to use to secure the fin to the sponson and they are pulling into the wood and not out if it. It will hold the fin in place.

David Preusse and Mike Hughes makes 45 turn fins for the JAE.

If you want the brass tubes to stay in place, insert some oak blocks where the tubes go through the sponsons. Redrill the holes using a drill press. The tubes will stay in place when glued to the oak blocks.
great idea, thanks johnRick P

No i moved the motor Forward

I cant see the logic in moving to further back

My .21 wants to blow off the water so i think the .45 needs more weight on the prop

My buddy Aarons runs great at this measurement so im going to try it

you can see where i have patched the original holes

Greg
hey gregg your 21 wants to blow off the water because of that super powered Nova Rossi engine!!! Lol .. I got a .21 5port this summer from Topp (glenn Q) it cranks!!! Thanks for the ideas, so glowplug to bulkhead whats the mesurment, or did you just get it up to the tube?? ThanksRick P.

I would suggest not moving the engine forward due to theses boats need tail weight. I have heard of people moving them forward and the boats hop down the straight away from the prop unloading. If the boat is light in the front end I would suggest adding down force the front sponsons. Also the zipp kit adjustable strut is not sufficient for the 45's. When you start pulling big props it will twist the strut around. You need to use a 4 bolt bracket instead of the 2 bolt style. Use plenty of glue for all joints and your boat will turn out just fine.

Dave

This is my brothers JAE 45 with an A/A in it

http://youtu.be/lBNFIiW8LnA

Last edited by a moderator:
Back