JAE 12 my first wooden boat build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry, remember, if anything goes wrong we blame it on Todd! :lol: Todd's shared a few things with me also but we're not going to discuss them openly yet. We've got to have a little edge on the competition!

I see that you didn't inset the wedges on the skis from what it appears in the picture. I'm looking for a trick way to mount those puppies as it sure was a pain to try to get them as straight as possible. I had some 3/4" wide foam that helped some to align them.

Got the rest of my hardware in from Joe Petro today including some for my gas boats. Fantastic service!!!

The boat is sitting at home now with the clear-coat drying so maybe tonight I'll get to thrashing on installing the hardware.

Todd probaly won't tell me any more trick unless I PROMISE to keep a secret ,which I can BTW.. ;)

Ron, what whedges are you referring to on the ski ?I built that according to the plan and lined up the rear ply with the back edge of the end of the ski sides ???

No parts left over yet anyway :rolleyes:

I will tapers the front bottom to nothing where it gets mounted to the bottom of the hull.

should have some pics soon.

Todd probaly won't tell me any more trick unless I PROMISE to keep a secret ,which I can BTW.. ;)

Ron, what wedges are you referring to on the ski ?I built that according to the plan and lined up the rear ply with the back edge of the end of the ski sides ???

No parts left over yet anyway :rolleyes:

I will taper the front bottom to nothing where it gets mounted to the bottom of the hull.

should have some pics soon.
The sides of the ski as I couldn't come up with a better word to describe them at that moment.

Well Ive had a two people ask me about leaving an overhang off the SIDES of the ski. I had a convo with Zaker a while back, it has been tested and had negative results. Keep the bottom of the ski squared with the wedges(sides of the ski) :)

Larry Jr.

Terry, anything I share is just stuff Rod (or other more knowledgeable boater) has shared w/me, so I dont consider it secret.... Rod has only told me 2 things that he asked me to stay "mum" about - and I have, and neither has anything to do with the JAE.

I WANT everyone to have fun fast lil boats - I'd LOVE it if everyone in our club had .12's that ran in the 50's or 60's and are fairly even. That's what racing is about. Rod said to me once, "DONT go out and lap the pants off everyone... you'll kill that .12 class faster than (expletive)" and there is a ton of wisdom in that statement.

No sweat Todd.Is this the proper way the ski was suppose to be built.

I am skinning sponsons now and working on the tub while that glue dries...so far so good..

Terry,

Actually, the bottom sheeting should extend past the end of the ski's sides - same as on the sponsons.

I do not want to argue but the manual on page 17 says "match the bottom sheathing to the rear end of the sides and let the front overhang"

I looked on line at zipkits and rods boat on there does not overhang but in the strut detail that has been recently added it looks like it does.

Before ski istallation,,,,I can remove a bit of material from the sides, providing the overhang if it will make the boat better...

ROD ?????

Note that there are several errors in the manual and Joe wants the input on those. That's one thing that I like about him, he knows that he or the instructions aren't perfect so if he updates the manual it will have our input. I liked in his other ones where he seems to be self-effacing and does make the manual more enoyable to read.

I wonder if he ever got that shelf built for his wife yet? :D

Todd, I disagree in a way as extending the ski too far would raise the rear higher and in some cases we have a problem there anyway.

I do not want to argue but the manual on page 17 says "match the bottom sheathing to the rear end of the sides and let the front overhang"

I looked on line at zipkits and rods boat on there does not overhang but in the strut detail that has been recently added it looks like it does.

Before ski istallation,,,,I can remove a bit of material from the sides, providing the overhang if it will make the boat better...

ROD ?????
I have no idea what you are saying....there should be no overhang anywhere on the ski...... <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rod, Look at post # 28 from Todd...We were having a difference of opinion/ interpretation .Thanks for clarification.

I did not want to do a do-over it took me a bit of time to get the ski perfectly straight.My overhang on the front will be blended in to and epoxoxied onto the tub bottom.

Thanks again.

Well guys it's been a few days and things are going well it think anyway ...have a look.

Not much wood left now....I am pondering hardware and plumbing etc...I have the shaft tube anealed and made so that is ready.THe foam is cut and fitted also.The engine and mount have been installed and removed.

I need a steering servo also before i can go much farther .I am doing all I can before i put the deck on :rolleyes:

Do you guys have any suggestions on where to mount this rudder and bracket as far as up or down or inside or outside of the rudder extension peice.It is almost identical to the Speedmaster mini rudder.

Here is a pic of a modded gen 1 vegas strut that I removed the brass tubing from and JB welded another brass tube onto, large enough for my 1/4 stuffing tube to go through.

Should work where there is not much stress on the strut back there and the tube will be glued/glassed in in to locations.

The strut will be cut to lenght when the time comes.

What do you think

Hey Terry,

I was thinking of doing the same thing, fill in the hole in the rudder bracket and just bolt the speedmaster mini rudder to it with no L-bracket. I think it would would pretty good. :)

Andrew Grenier

Andrew , would you lean toward keeping the bracket flush with the top of the wood or bottom or split the difference.I am thinking of keeping it low if it would not hamper launcing or running.I will look over the hawk and compare.

I plan on filling the hole as well anD then a lamination of Thin aluminum on each side so the nut or head of the bolt does not bite into the wood.

Hope you and your dad are well

I took a gander at my Speedmaster mini-rudder and I noticed that I'd have to cut a lot off the bottom, just below the water pick-up so that there wouldn't be too much hanging down. The Solinger appears to be a little on the short side as there won't be a whole lot of it in the water once on plane.

Being fairly new to 'riggers again I'm taking the word of those with the experience.

Dan, I am thinking lime or neon Green or orange.Too many yellow ones now... :D

You need to get your baby rigger built so i can practice going aroung you.. :D :D

I will build it for ya later on.

Back