IMPBA Internats Format

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What format would you prefer?

• Current format

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nitro heat racing only

• Gas,FE, Nitro heat racing only

• Total voters
I posted this in the other thread, but not sure if everyone is reading both, so here it is again:

I did a bit of a comparison between the NAMBA nats and IMPBA internats for 2007. Here are some numbers.

Stat: NAMBA:IMPBA

Tot days: 10:9 (includes open water days)

Race days: 8:7

Boats/day: 72:44

Boats: 576:310 (numbers came from totaling the published entry lists)

Classes: 35:21 (includes specialty classes)

boats/class: 16.5:14.8

Following are some observations from looking at the races and formats. I don't know if the differences are good or bad, I'm posting these as discussion points to see if there are any lessons we (IMPBA) can learn.

• It appears that NAMBA starts and completes a class in one day. In order to do this, they schedule a smaller number of classes for the day. IMPBA schedules more classes per day and spreads their heat racing over 2 days. If someone wanted to compete in just one class in the NAMBA nats, they could show up early that day for open water, compete, and then go home. An IMPBA competitor hoping to go home with a trophy needs to attend a minimum of 3 days (2 race days and one trials day, if the trials doesn't run into a second day). Also, if the person isn't local, this 3 day minimum only works for the classes which precede the trials. If they want to run the other classes, the would need to attend 5 days or more.
  • NAMBA appears to mix up the schedule so they only run one size of a boat type (mono, tunnel, hydro, sport hydro, etc) per day. This allows someone who specializes in a specific boat type to focus on just one boat per day. IMPBA has a larger number of classes competing on the same day(s), so there are usually a couple different sizes of the same type that will be competing on the same days. This means an IMPBA racer running multiple sizes of a type of boat may need to prep more than one boat for a given day. In addition, someone competing in IMPBA will need to prep their boat(s) again for the time trials day(s).
  • The NAMBA schedule shows open water every morning before racing began. The IMPBA schedule has conditional (time permitting) open water at the end of the day for boats running the following day. As mentioned earlier, this means at the NAMBA nats a person only has to prep a boat for one day. At the IMPBA nats, a racer might not even get any open water, other than the two days before racing begins, before they race.
  • NAMBA handled significantly more boats per day than IMPBA. Obviously, not running the timed trials was part of the reason for this. Were there other differences, perhaps less heats?
  • Does the location have an impact on the attendance? Since many have said local attendance is a big part of the attendance at the national events, perhaps when the race is hosted in an active geography it will receive larger attendance.
  • Do the NAMBA drivers who win their class feel somehow diminished because they didn't have a timed straight and oval as part of their win?

This poll needs a 4th option-

A revised option #1-

Includes SAWS-OVAL TRIAL and Heat Racing -just done by classes/hull types/engine size-whatever ?? On a particular day to limit the amount of time one has to spend at the event .

The Internats will always draw the guys that can do the time and have the money.

I never went to a Internats for many years due to money and work I didnt think the IMPBA should change things just for me.

I finally got to go to a Internats close by me and raced a couple boats, I was a good time even though I didnt get to the time trials.

I have to been to everyone of the Internats for about 5 years Good race to go to, 5 rounds of racing in two days keeps you out of your chair.

Finally got a US1 in 40 mono in Jackson Tn. Some of the racers have been chasing US1 for 20 years Doc finally got one, in F hydro I think.

Racing agianst those guys that attend the Internats is what makes me come back.

Always good heats and not easy ones like back home, cause your at the Internats!

If you take a look at the event schedule you can plan a trip to a internats for as little as two days racing. Half the classes run on Sunday Monday and the rest run on Tuesday Wed, with the time trials following. Then there are the special event clases that only run the last two days. so you dont have to be there a week to particapate. The NAMBA Nats hold classes on different days too and Im sure there are people that will just race a couple days and dont stay for the whole thing.

So back off on all the doom and gloom someone somewhere will have the Internats So if we miss a year so what, when one is put together the best will show up.

Still trying for a US1 agian.

It's not about the attendance it's about getting a club to volunteer to host the event . By opening it up to include all 3 power divisions of model boating it adds many more workers and volunteers to the work load. But the only way that could ever be accomplished is to eliminate the timed events from the equation or limit entries as in the past. Maybe 2 boats per division per racer. SO one racer coul denter 2 boats for FE, Gas, and Nitro if they wanted to. Just throwing ideas out there.

I am from the "old school" and I have experienced the importance of a US-1 for several years. It is a dedication of time and money to do this to compete. However, it is the most fair way to determine who is the best for that year. I will listen to alernatives. If all of you wish to go to an only heat race format, I have seen numerous problems with this in creating drivers to do whatever to win. We all make mistakes in driving, but I have seen it intentional to win. A heat racing format only encourage that type of driving style. If we go to this format of heat racing, you can bet that my driving style will change. Is that for the better?

The poll listed for information purposes only. It is an IMPBA vote to change the current format. If you wish to change it, I will still continue to compete, but I will feel that the award has been deminished.

Hello All,

I know this is an IMPBA discussion and I realize that I am an outsider so I am in no means trying to butt in here. I am only offering my observation and input as I have received a couple of request to do so.

For me I think the present format is cool. I have never raced it but I have been looking forward to an opportunity being that I have never done 2 lap and have limited experience at straight-away. I just like the chance to try something different. It does sound challenging and I always like to race where it's tougher than easier.

But as far as the differences I see here between NAMBA Nats and IMPBA Nats based on this post is the manpower. My club has three people. Me my dad and one other person. You think we could have pulled off a nats of the magnitude that we did? It took the whole district. (All the clubs) to put on the event. We even had people helping out that could not even attend the event. I shared with one of the people that requested me to post something is that we had a solid 12 to 14 Chairs of committees with some committees over seeing twenty or so volunteers. Sure many people worked double or triple duty in many areas but it surely even the load. We even had many wives who don't race as "SIGNIFICANT" contributors to the operations of the event. And... if you able to create a smooth running program it makes it easier for other district members to jump in and help. We had CDs from several districts and judges from several districts.

So the biggest difference that I see is manpower.

I was also requested to talk about promotion but getting more people to help out is promotion in itself. The more people working on it the more people you have talking about it... And if people take ownership of something they are less likely to criticize it.

I don't know how large your districts are but if they are too small maybe spread out the nats responsibilities among several districts. We relied a lot on District 19 and District 8 for CDs and Judging and they came through with flying colors.

I posted this in the other thread, but not sure if everyone is reading both, so here it is again:
I did a bit of a comparison between the NAMBA nats and IMPBA internats for 2007. Here are some numbers.

Following are some observations from looking at the races and formats. I don't know if the differences are good or bad, I'm posting these as discussion points to see if there are any lessons we (IMPBA) can learn.

• It appears that NAMBA starts and completes a class in one day. In order to do this, they schedule a smaller number of classes for the day. IMPBA schedules more classes per day and spreads their heat racing over 2 days. If someone wanted to compete in just one class in the NAMBA nats, they could show up early that day for open water, compete, and then go home. An IMPBA competitor hoping to go home with a trophy needs to attend a minimum of 3 days (2 race days and one trials day, if the trials doesn't run into a second day). Also, if the person isn't local, this 3 day minimum only works for the classes which precede the trials. If they want to run the other classes, the would need to attend 5 days or more.
  • NAMBA appears to mix up the schedule so they only run one size of a boat type (mono, tunnel, hydro, sport hydro, etc) per day. This allows someone who specializes in a specific boat type to focus on just one boat per day. IMPBA has a larger number of classes competing on the same day(s), so there are usually a couple different sizes of the same type that will be competing on the same days. This means an IMPBA racer running multiple sizes of a type of boat may need to prep more than one boat for a given day. In addition, someone competing in IMPBA will need to prep their boat(s) again for the time trials day(s).
  • The NAMBA schedule shows open water every morning before racing began. The IMPBA schedule has conditional (time permitting) open water at the end of the day for boats running the following day. As mentioned earlier, this means at the NAMBA nats a person only has to prep a boat for one day. At the IMPBA nats, a racer might not even get any open water, other than the two days before racing begins, before they race.
  • NAMBA handled significantly more boats per day than IMPBA. Obviously, not running the timed trials was part of the reason for this. Were there other differences, perhaps less heats?
  • Does the location have an impact on the attendance? Since many have said local attendance is a big part of the attendance at the national events, perhaps when the race is hosted in an active geography it will receive larger attendance.
  • Do the NAMBA drivers who win their class feel somehow diminished because they didn't have a timed straight and oval as part of their win?

Hello All,

I know this is an IMPBA discussion and I realize that I am an outsider so I am in no means trying to butt in here. I am only offering my observation and input as I have received a couple of request to do so.

For me I think the present format is cool. I have never raced it but I have been looking forward to an opportunity being that I have never done 2 lap and have limited experience at straight-away. I just like the chance to try something different. It does sound challenging and I always like to race where it's tougher than easier. However, I can see some merit to the instant gratification that 1 Day heat racing provides. Although most of NAMBA stays all week or at least three or four days, there were a few that could only stay for a day.

But as far as the major differences I see here between NAMBA Nats and IMPBA Nats based on this post is the manpower. My club has three people. Me my dad and one other person. You think we could have pulled off a nats of the magnitude that we did? It took the whole district. (All the clubs) to put on the event. We even had people helping out that could not even attend the event. I shared with one of the people that requested me to post something is that we had a solid 12 to 14 Chairs of committees with some committees over seeing twenty or so volunteers. Sure many people worked double or triple duty in many areas but it surely even the load. We even had many wives who don't race as "SIGNIFICANT" contributors to the operations of the event. And... if you able to create a smooth running program it makes it easier for other district members to jump in and help. We had CDs from several districts and judges from several districts.

So the biggest difference that I see is manpower.

I was also requested to talk about promotion but getting more people to help out is promotion in itself. The more people working on it the more people you have talking about it... And if people take ownership of something they are less likely to criticize it.

I don't know how large your districts are but if they are too small maybe spread out the nats responsibilities among several districts. We relied a lot on District 19 and District 8 for CDs and Judging and they came through with flying colors.

Also... this survey alone is promotion itself.... not sure you realize it or not but it is a conventional marketing strategy. One point is to find out the needs and wants of your audience and the other point is that you are showing them that you care enough about their needs to ask. According to statistics, that alone increases interest. So... this poll alone... no matter the outcome.... it step in the right direction.

Continue to see your nats as the store... and you want more customers... Your selling a good time in a R/C boat racing experience and you include the features that the customers say they will buy. Of course those customers that are already patronizing your business carry more weight than customer that have never patronized your business before, however, if they tried you once and don't come back there is usually a reason that resides within your service to them. Fix that and you often find your way to the new customers you were looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't believe that the Format is solely to blame for the lack of interest in holding the Internats but without a doubt the time need to run the race is playing a major factor.

One thing to think about

In years past clubs were primarily Nitro based , so it was not that difficult to convince people to hold an event of this nature.

Now we have clubs that are made up of F.E. , Gas and Nitro racers how do you convince a club like that to hold an event that caters primarily to the Nitro racer?

All nitro boat races are a thing of the past NAMBA recognized that early in the game but IMPBA still seems to be strugling with it.

I race just Nitro but many of my freinds race Gas and F.E.

Tim K

i think time is a huge issue on the clubs part. then again most people who want to attend dont want to put it on, they want to race and not be bothered with all that is involved, and it is a LOT of involvement. planning and preprations ,to be a quality event , you need a strong 6 months of work. then if you assign duties to be done, it is tough to "be a boss" and remain friends. you stand a very good chance of loosing members or friendships.

brian blazer and i just put on the 2007 gas nats at celina, oh. we had almost a year of preparation, discussing, planning, with at least once a week meetings over the phone or internet. the last 6 weeks was daily contact. think this is simple, we are from 2 different clubs, 120 miles apart and the site was at a 3rd location 100 miles from him and 40 miles from me. all we asked of our clubs members was to show up on a couple work days and help on race day . we did everything else by ourselves. it worked great.

why did we do this, we were very thrifty with our purchases, it gave us 2 differnt locations to shop for stuff we needed and it saved us money. we split our duties with each of us compiling a list, then talking and taking assignments. we didnt wait till the last minute on anything, we got it done before race season even started,( may here) .

would we do it again the same way? absolutely, will we do it in the near future? NO. we need a break. are we still friends? YES. and our club members also.

it was a 3 1/2 day ,(1 open water , 2 1/2 racing)not all week event. with the amount of boats entered it is going to have to be lengthened, one or 2 days. this will tell the story, the length of the event. gas has evolved into the marquis racing thing to do, relativly simple, reliable, readily available, quality parts and supplies, and fast. the person doesnt have to be as knowlegable about engines and mechanics as with nitro, plus the expense of fuel. the people i witness racing (gas) dont seem to be interested in the internats format, they just want to race, heat race.

me, i DONT even own a gas boat, i just did it to put on the race. i run nitro boats, i have attended 4 internats. i dont stay all week, i race(or most likely try to) and leave. all week is too much for me. the people you meet is the neatest thing, and the boats you see is awesome also. it is a different calibre person racing the internats verses club/ regional races i think and this is what makes the internats "the internats", now if someone is willing to step up and do it ...........

my 3 c's worth

After reading all of this and looking at the success of NAMBA, the race needs to be put on by a district with a few guys in charge of delegating duties throughout. The format of the race should be up to the district and NO BITCHING on what format is chosen. Heat race, Timed Events, Surveyed course, non surveyed course, top 6 etc. After two weeks of relieving stress from the Gas Nationals, I will do it again, but will have more help and about 10 CD's, not including myself. I enjoyed setting everything up. I HATED being CD and the bitching associated with being a CD. Each District puts their name in a hat. A district is drawn from a hat and that district decides if they want to handle the race and have the available people to host the event. Put the manpower responsibilities on the District Directors and the club presidents. The District Director has the final say. By selecting districts, it will at least get the thought in their heads and gets the ball rolling.

Just thinking outloud.

Brian

Brian:

You have a very good idea and I think that may be the ultimate solution, taking a NAMBA best practice along with the options for race format. As we discussed this year at the Gas Nats I think that the way the Seville club @ the 2007 Internats had "assigned CD's" for classes was a great idea. I know that there were many different districts represented by these CD's, and I am sure it helped relieve the Seville club . I also think that the time is here now that the IMPBA needs to have a full voting "Nitro Director" on the board who can help promote and plan the Internats and nitro racing just like the Gas Director does. Kevin and Norman before him have done a terrific job in getting the Gas Nats planned out years in advance, and pushing the gas classes to the high levels that they enjoy now. I also believe that we need to ensure that the Gas classes are included in whatever format the Internats is run, this race should be for all of our racers.

The Internats will always draw the guys that can do the time and have the money. I never went to a Internats for many years due to money and work I didnt think the IMPBA should change things just for me.

I finally got to go to a Internats close by me and raced a couple boats, I was a good time even though I didnt get to the time trials.

I have to been to everyone of the Internats for about 5 years Good race to go to, 5 rounds of racing in two days keeps you out of your chair.

Finally got a US1 in 40 mono in Jackson Tn. Some of the racers have been chasing US1 for 20 years Doc finally got one, in F hydro I think.

Always good heats and not easy ones like back home, cause your at the Internats!

If you take a look at the event schedule you can plan a trip to a internats for as little as two days racing. Half the classes run on Sunday Monday and the rest run on Tuesday Wed, with the time trials following. Then there are the special event clases that only run the last two days. so you dont have to be there a week to particapate. The NAMBA Nats hold classes on different days too and Im sure there are people that will just race a couple days and dont stay for the whole thing.

So back off on all the doom and gloom someone somewhere will have the Internats So if we miss a year so what, when one is put together the best will show up.

The Internats will always draw the guys that can do the time and have the money. I never went to a Internats for many years due to money and work I didnt think the IMPBA should change things just for me.

Phil, You are absolutely right and well said. Changing the format is not the way to go. Doc

Phil, You are absolutely right and well said. Changing the format is not the way to go. Doc
Maybe im offbase but i think differnt c/ds for each class was a flop. To preseve the race one c/d for all the weight to fall on. Seville was a great race but with district help it would have been even better,those guys were worn out and I commend them for doing there best. Another thing to think about if we ran several rounds then 3 more rounds for a National Champ it would still take a week. The only way to shorten the event is 5 rounds period. Then you have to settle ties Personaly i dont think the Nats as we know it is broken,whats broken is how we do it. Roger Hooks has a good idea,put it on by district. Isnt it a shame we cant just pay outsiders to do it then we could all race all day.....

Maybe someone needs to break down the finance & the Profits of the Clubs Hosting the IMPBA Nats. It does have its rewards......It has yielded many 1000 of Green backs to the hosting clubs if done properly..... No better shot in the arm like a New pile of $$$$$$$$$$ for a New or Old club. Allows the club to grow & purchase new equipment, New Clocks, bigger retrieve boats, better engines, & get a few things in order that made have been lagging before.

Joe is absolutely right on this. Our club has first rate equipment now..... a new retrieve boat, a new motor, a great PA system, Speakers, a digital Randall Thomas Clock, Tents and tables, and a Trailer to haul it all in, because we hosted 2 Internats and made a lot of money. We are flush for the future with plenty of cash in the bank. We even had a club Pizza party after the last two races and the club paid.

This is a great club and a great site to race, and all of that equipment makes for a great race. Attendance is up by 30 boats and I think it is because we have everything that we need to put on a good race and people know it, due to hosting the Internats.

Brian

PS I really like the idea of assigning the Internats to a District on a rotational basis.

In the Internats guide booklet there is a break down of the financial aspects of hosting an Internats. I too like the idea of Districts hosting the Internats. Any District willing to step up to the plate? Please contact me.

Maybe someone needs to break down the finance & the Profits of the Clubs Hosting the IMPBA Nats. It does have its rewards......It has yielded many 1000 of Green backs to the hosting clubs if done properly..... No better shot in the arm like a New pile of $$$$$$$$$$ for a New or Old club. Allows the club to grow & purchase new equipment, New Clocks, bigger retrieve boats, better engines, & get a few things in order that made have been lagging before.

How much of the income of the Internats does IMPBA take?

Does IMPBA still advance some $$$ to the host club to help with initial expenses?

Maybe the IMPBA share could be waived to attract bidders.

Marty Davis

Interesting you should ask that Marty.

The IMPBA does not TAKE any of the clubs profits. The IMPBA will advance a club the seed money, but it has to be returned. IMPBA does also buy the US-1 Plaques and patches and rockers that are awarded, as well as the Presidents Cup and LeFeber award which accounts for over $1000 each year. The club is responsible for the regular trophies for Saw, oval, and heat racing.

Clubs make profits on Entries, trial money, and raffles, t shirt sales, and any other idea they have ( food, ice, patches, rental tents, etc)

Expenditures include trophies, banquet food and facility rental, porta pots, etc

There is a real possibility to make $5000 for a club.

Brian

Latest posts

Back