IMPBA Internats Format

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What format would you prefer?

• Current format

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nitro heat racing only

• Gas,FE, Nitro heat racing only

• Total voters
Heres a way to really shorten up the time a racer would have to stay. lets say like NAMBA we ran a set number of classes per day, lets just assume 5 classes per day start to finish, and lets say we AVERAGED 18 boats per class or 3 heats of 6 boats, so 5 classes times 3 heats per class times 4 rounds (5x3x4 = 60) Then add the Championship round 5 classes times 1 heat (top 6 competitors) x 3 rounds for a total of 15 more heats. Total heats in 1 day would be 75 but 5 classes are complete and National Champions are crowned in those classes. If I only run 20 mono I may have to plan on being at the Internats for 1 or 2 days. That is pretty easily done, now if I run 5 or 6 boats I am likely to be there the whole time.. Tony J
Tony are you willing to come race in the middle of the week? I agree lets crown national champs every day and move to the next classes . Also by cutting out a banquet and having a more informal get together every nite a contestant could save a $35.00 registration fee. The INTERNATS name would be dropped for a IMPBA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. or INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Would you start racing and end with special classes friday and saturday?
Mike, If you have 1-2 days of special events and one usually has at least one day of "open water" and then travel time. HOW MUCH TIME IS REALLY SAVED??????????, in this "new format" I just don't see the time savings. Again no one has considered a WEATHER DELAY. The present format allows for weather. It there is a weather or equipment delay the US-1 events are gotten in and the special events shortened or abandon. I have been to Nats where this has occured!!!!!!!!! Gary

Heres a way to really shorten up the time a racer would have to stay. lets say like NAMBA we ran a set number of classes per day, lets just assume 5 classes per day start to finish, and lets say we AVERAGED 18 boats per class or 3 heats of 6 boats, so 5 classes times 3 heats per class times 4 rounds (5x3x4 = 60) Then add the Championship round 5 classes times 1 heat (top 6 competitors) x 3 rounds for a total of 15 more heats. Total heats in 1 day would be 75 but 5 classes are complete and National Champions are crowned in those classes. If I only run 20 mono I may have to plan on being at the Internats for 1 or 2 days. That is pretty easily done, now if I run 5 or 6 boats I am likely to be there the whole time.. Tony J
Tony are you willing to come race in the middle of the week? I agree lets crown national champs every day and move to the next classes . Also by cutting out a banquet and having a more informal get together every nite a contestant could save a $35.00 registration fee. The INTERNATS name would be dropped for a IMPBA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. or INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Would you start racing and end with special classes friday and saturday?
Mike, If you have 1-2 days of special events and one usually has at least one day of "open water" and then travel time. HOW MUCH TIME IS REALLY SAVED??????????, in this "new format" I just don't see the time savings.
I showed the time savings in Post #97. The savings come out to about one hour per class, depending on the number of boats competing.

Again no one has considered a WEATHER DELAY. The present format allows for weather. It there is a weather or equipment delay the US-1 events are gotten in and the special events shortened or abandon. I have been to Nats where this has occured!!!!!!!!! Gary
While weather delay is certainly significant, it doesn't change the calculations that clearly show that the current format takes longer. Factoring in for weather is a scheduling issue whether it has to be done for the current or alternate formats. As far as equipment delays go, doesn't the likelyhood of equipment problems go down if the timing equipment is taken out of the equation?

Steve and others what about skipping special events altogether and including classes for the FE racers?
Some of the specialty classes had good attendance. Should they be skipped, or perhaps turned into championship classes?

From the feedback I have gotten most of the attendees do not think we need to add any more national /US-1 classes at this time if we're combineing allof the divisions into one event as the poll talked about we should look at including the FE classes.

Plus I like Mike's idea of calling the winners "International Champions" we could also change the name of the event to International Championships, instead of National Chamionship that way the IMPBA's feature event would not be confused with NAMBA's feature event.

Last edited by a moderator:
My reason for mentioning it was to support two classes that seem very popular, and are possibly growing, Sport 20 hydro and Sport 20 tunnel. It would be unfortunate to discontinue running these classes while maintaining less popular, and possibly shrinking, classes.

Mike all good points but yes I would come in the middle of the week , lets say that we plan on racing thu-fri-sat-sun/ I went to the gas nats this year on thursday for open water and raced fri-sat-sun... Tony J

Mike all good points but yes I would come in the middle of the week , lets say that we plan on racing thu-fri-sat-sun/ I went to the gas nats this year on thursday for open water and raced fri-sat-sun... Tony J
I cant see giving up Sport 20 Tunnel and Sport 20 Hydro in 06 we had 30 plus boats in each class.

Probalby would not have to since the Gas Nationals are already scheduled for about 4 years. THe host club could just offer the FE classes and see how the attendance is until the Gas classes can get merged into one large IMPBA International Championship.

I cant see giving up Sport 20 Tunnel and Sport 20 Hydro in 06 we had 30 plus boats in each class.

Here is the link to where I saved the Excel spread sheet that Steve put together, an eye opener for sure-https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=324

Click on IMPBA National Champion format spead sheet comparision
Don, The twin class was left out of the spread sheet. It is a US-1 event GTT
Doc you are right, I'll point that out to Steve. B)
Don,

Sorry I didn't realize we had 15 US-1 Classes. The spread sheet was put together to show at a glance what could be possibly take place. I joined the Nitro and Gas together to show how close we could come to running the event with at least two major segments of RC boat racing in the IMPBA. Bill is right on as he noted the Gas Nats are booked thru I believe 2010 or 2011. As Tony pointed out if a racer is only running B / 20 mono and say 40 / D mono he could schedule in 3 days stay, one for open water if desired and two (2) actual racing days. I just put this together as food for thought so everyone could get and idea of the time taken to run the old format vs. the proposed new format. I also noted someone mentioned weather and equipment delays? Weather is controled by God can't do much about that, but the equipment delays which have occured in the past would be eliminated as there would not be a requirement for the timing equipment with the new proposed format. I like the way this discussion has been going as everyone is really thinking on this subject and evey one has been very civil in there points of concern and interest.

I sure wished D12 had a site large enough and enough committed people to put this up coming years Internat on using the new format as I think it would be a real eye opener with some really intense racing. But I know with the changes in our district to some of the race sites it is not really possible. I was not real sure about the new format at first but the more I look at it the more I like the idea, and I think it would save a lot of extra work and man hours committed by the host club and or District that would be willing to put on the event . I sincerely hope some club or district would give this new format a try.

Back