I Waters Rocket Club

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dry fit- Will join the body tube and nacells in the next night or two.

2hxvout.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just about ready to decal the Nike -X and the new cat decided to create a little more work for me :angry:

zwi81w.jpg

[SIZE=10.5pt]I am working toward the NAR C class A Altitude Altimeter record. Here is my rocket (Number 1). Its tested to 211M (694’) on an Estes A3-4T (yep thats the little 13mm A motor). The current record is light at 77M. BUT a new recording altimeter from Poland is available and approved that is lighter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The piston allows the igniter to be placed up the center of the piston. This is looking like a better overall system but time will tell.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I almost lost the rocket this weekend. It weighs .24oz. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Just a 10cent update. I also flew the gold member on an I357-10.. YE HAW.. 1 second burn but the rocket goes to over 2000'[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Grim[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I am working toward the NAR C class A Altitude Altimeter record. Here is my rocket (Number 1). Its tested to 211M (694’) on an Estes A3-4T (yep thats the little 13mm A motor). The current record is light at 77M. BUT a new recording altimeter from Poland is available and approved that is lighter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The piston allows the igniter to be placed up the center of the piston. This is looking like a better overall system but time will tell.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I almost lost the rocket this weekend. It weighs .24oz. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Just a 10cent update. I also flew the gold member on an I357-10.. YE HAW.. 1 second burn but the rocket goes to over 2000'[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Grim[/SIZE]
Neat stuff- B)

This -

" I also flew the gold member on an I357-10.. YE HAW.. 1 second burn but the rocket goes to over 2000' "

Made me do THIS -

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: B) B) B) B)

And my neck still hurts - lol

As far as the Nike, That was a simple fall off the table, I have had concerns with the density of the body tube since I opened the kit to be honest. I really thought the paint and clear would stiffen it up some but...

I'm not sure if I will ever fly it with people around :rolleyes:

It honestly concerns me, It may just be a shelf queen........

On those I will do 3 wraps of Grimracer Radio Box tape (3M#5) around the top of the tubing.

Helps a bunch.

BB&MM 070.jpgBB&MM 071.jpgBB&MM 072.jpgGrim, almost 700' on one of those dinky little motors? MIGHTY impressive! I just joined NAR for the first time in my life ,and i had no idea how many different types of events there are in model rocket contests! Really neat stuff! Andy, GET TO WORK ON THAT BOMARC!! Thats gonna be a beaut!Ummm, this aint a rocket, but being modelers, i thought you guys might get a kick out of this.....! Ive never attempted to scratch build an airplane before, so.....!I call it my "HACK JOB"! I have no idea if it will fly or not, but i sure had a great time building it!Power is a Hurc 300 Outrunner Speed/3S 500mah lipo/7X4 prop.I will share the outcome....GOOD OR BAD! Happy Thanksgiving Guys!

attachicon.gif
BB&MM 070.jpg
attachicon.gif
BB&MM 071.jpg
attachicon.gif
BB&MM 072.jpgGrim, almost 700' on one of those dinky little motors? MIGHTY impressive! I just joined NAR for the first time in my life ,and i had no idea how many different types of events there are in model rocket contests! Really neat stuff! Andy, GET TO WORK ON THAT BOMARC!! Thats gonna be a beaut!Ummm, this aint a rocket, but being modelers, i thought you guys might get a kick out of this.....! Ive never attempted to scratch build an airplane before, so.....!I call it my "HACK JOB"! I have no idea if it will fly or not, but i sure had a great time building it!Power is a Hurc 300 Outrunner Speed/3S 500mah lipo/7X4 prop.I will share the outcome....GOOD OR BAD! Happy Thanksgiving Guys!
The airfoil looks docile enough . Have you flown a short wingspan ,aileron , low winger before ? check CG and make sure you have plenty of throw on all control surfaces . call me if you need help .

Andy and Bill what dates do you guys shot the Rockets off Ron Ratoff belongs to a Rocket club here he wants to go up when you are shooting them off Robert

I have not been in a while due to mandatory Sat's at work, but here is a link Robert. Normally the 2nd Saturday of every month, some months also have research launches on Sunday as well, where they fly some RIDICULOUS stuff :eek:

There are normally quite a few High Powers flying at that club on any given Sat. well worth even just watching.

Dec is the 21st .

http://www.ttra.ws/

What kinda stuff does Ratoff fly ???? Had no clue he was into it as well, very cool - tell him I said hey B)

I didnt know he was into it till i went to his house Thursday his are not big but he says there is a big club by his house Robert

Im to the point that I need to fare the conduit on the Bomark into the body tube- any one build one and willing to share any tips ??
I considered taping sandpaper to the B/T and faring from there- suggestions???

I have a friend who has been out of rocketry for a few years but has been trying to get me to attend one of the Red Glare launches in Maryland. Well this is the year he has decided to get back into the hobby and I figure if he is going to drag me along, I might as well put something in the air myself. I just finished up a Estes Leviathan and Aerotech Arcas (minus paint). A new hobby is born (just what I need
default_rolleyes.gif
). Building the mid powered rockets was no sweat as I found myself using some of the skills learned in boat building. Launch season is also during the winter months here in the mid Atlantic so no conflicts with boating season. I have one more kit to work on but it's going to be a while before this thing gets airborn. It's a Wildman Darkstar 3. Seven feet tall and made out of black fiberglass. Can't wait to get her done.

I have a friend who has been out of rocketry for a few years but has been trying to get me to attend one of the Red Glare launches in Maryland. Well this is the year he has decided to get back into the hobby and I figure if he is going to drag me along, I might as well put something in the air myself. I just finished up a Estes Leviathan and Aerotech Arcas (minus paint). A new hobby is born (just what I need
default_rolleyes.gif
). Building the mid powered rockets was no sweat as I found myself using some of the skills learned in boat building. Launch season is also during the winter months here in the mid Atlantic so no conflicts with boating season. I have one more kit to work on but it's going to be a while before this thing gets airborn. It's a Wildman Darkstar 3. Seven feet tall and made out of black fiberglass. Can't wait to get her done.
Your Bit hard Chilli -
default_rolleyes.gif

Welcome to the wonderful world of rockets= Grim and Bill got me hooked and yeah- it dont get better
default_ohmy.png

Grim hooked us up BIG TIME a few years back when the Pro Series Kits came out. I have an Argent I have flown at least 6 times on a G40-7W and its a hoot. The Wildman will be a perfect L-1 Rocket .

If you have not seen a high power fly in person- your in for a treat
default_wink.png

A pretty cool video Roger Smith did at the club I fly at a few years back - AT 2:17 in - the Tomahawk on the right of the screen with the massive CATO was mine
default_blink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suX_jHwF61g

Chilli.. is that the 2.1" dark star Jr.. if so will make a nice L1 rocket.. just be careful of the weight. That rounds out to about a 4.5Lb rocket.

If its larger you are likely going to need to back track some.. dont just "get" your L2.. work to your L2.. Trust me. A mistake with a L2 rocket is more then just a simple mistake. Also.. you NEVER "really" can control everything in rocketry. Keep this in mind as you start flying fiberglass rockets.

Have fun!

Grim

Grim, From what I gather Wildman offered a limited run of the Darkstar 3 last spring. Don't know how many kits were made. She is 3"inches in diameter. I really like the looks of the Darkstar's and I figured this would be nice size bird if I ever go for L2. I found a local distributor here in Va who had a kit in stock for under $200 so I snagged it as a Christmas present for myself. I'll probably build her and let her sit for a year (at least) untill I get some experience. In the mean time I've got a good mentor who is L3 certified and two mid powered birds to gain some experience with. Some have used the Leviathan and Aracas HV for thier L1 Cert's. What are your opinions on what rockets are appropriate for L1. Should I do a smaller fiberglass build when I'm ready for my L1 cert?

http://cavemanchemistry.com/nez/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_97&products_id=496&zenid=65090cc66ab7a7040064829075ae8921

Chilli, The Leviatan and HV are great for L1s. You can use the 29mm mount and a H128 or H180 for the cert flight. Both use the 180 case.

Do this.. draw up the rockets in Open Rocket and see what the numbers give ya regarding stablity, the flight and what not. Its a worthy do and remember.. the perfect might not ask you were your CP is located on your rocket but make it your point to know.

Its good to know you have somebody to help you. Dont get caught up in the bigger is better deal. You will find those rockets you fly the least. Its good.. just know cost per use is quite high and places to do that kind of flying take work to secure (by somebody). A complex rocket like your Dark Star will be.. and it will.. take lots of time to prep for flight and clean.

Always HELP setup and tare down at the end of the day.. I sound like a dad here but man.. putting on a launch for large rockets is a TON of work. It will come back to ya.

Keep us posted.

Grim

Back