I Waters Rocket Club

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spend the last few hours of the year sanding the filler I put on the tube spirals. What a PITA that was and in the end I could still see the grooves after primer. That will be the last time I do that. LOL On a more positive note, the thinned out Elmers wood filler worked like a champ on taking the grain out of the ply fins.

I've got the 30 day trial of rocsim downloaded as well as files for the three rockets I have. Stability looks good on both Estes and Aerotech rockets with the baby H motors I plugged in. The Arcas should still end up a little over stable. I'll make sure I know all the stuff on the L2 written test and memorize the numbers for my rockets before I go for L1.

Offering to help out the host club is something I always do and try to instill in my sons. Let's just say I feel their pain. LOL

I spend the last few hours of the year sanding the filler I put on the tube spirals. What a PITA that was and in the end I could still see the grooves after primer. That will be the last time I do that. LOL On a more positive note, the thinned out Elmers wood filler worked like a champ on taking the grain out of the ply fins.

I've got the 30 day trial of rocsim downloaded as well as files for the three rockets I have. Stability looks good on both Estes and Aerotech rockets with the baby H motors I plugged in. The Arcas should still end up a little over stable. I'll make sure I know all the stuff on the L2 written test and memorize the numbers for my rockets before I go for L1.

Offering to help out the host club is something I always do and try to instill in my sons. Let's just say I feel their pain. LOL

You need to fill the spirals first Mike, sanding alone wont do it- hands down the best product I have found and used is ICING -

Easy to cover and easy to sand- Thats what we used on the Hawk 23-B - Its a little bit of a PITA- BUT- if a clean body tube is what your after its the BOMB . A little pricey but worth it- a tube will last a long time just doing rockets
default_wink.png

2r3jy48.jpg

2gt13c5.jpg

Thanks for the tip.I'll try the Icing. I used the Elmer's wood filler as suggested by some on the Rocketry Forum. It didn't stick too well so I ended up having to glop it on. Needless to say when it hardened, it took allot of sanding to get it off. Upon further review, the Leviathan came out pretty nice but the Aerotech Arcas is where I had problems with the spirals not getting filled. Also, the Estes tubing seemed a little more abrasion resistant to the sanding. The Aerotech tubing fuzzed up a bit. Don't know if it was me or the tubes are manufactured by different companies. Nice looking Hawk!

Last edited by a moderator:
chilli, if you have any "small" rockets that don't need a full fledged launch pad & field, come on over!! i've got 95 acres, & 1 good sized (30+ acre) pasture that would work. i've also got some small rockets i've never messed with. give me a call if ya want to play. tell john to bring his trucks, all the room in the world. i can get the revo or the jato out, too.

Been playing around with some of my old Estes kits lately and even built a couple small ones recently just for kicks. Haven't launched any MPR's in about 20 years. But I am thinking about a new one. Can't decide between a Jart or a Wild Child. Any thoughts or suggestions on either of these kits?

Dennis

The Jart is about the best overall "kick it around" rocket one can buy.. We see them at lauch after lauch... I however am not a fan of swept fins that lead past the aft of the body. Therefor it would be the wild child for me...

The Jart is going to be stable with just about any motor in it (those swept fins).. thats a nice thing..

Grim

I should also say... get a rocket with a 29mm mount for now.. use the Estes motor retainer.., (Cheap works great).. you will build a 38 at some time.. cuz you wont be able to stop!

Grim,

Stick'n with 29mm for now. Still have an AT 29/40-120 case that needs to be put to use. Leaning heavily toward the Wild Child.

No rocket clubs in this area. May have to head up your way some time.

Dennis

BRING IT... we fly twice a month weather permitting.

We flew new years day! (yesterday) It was breezy but I got in 3 flights..

Scratch Crayon on an F24-4

Estes Leviathan on an F40-7

Estes Prowler on an E30-7 (YEE HAW)

Then we were cold.. then we pack up.. then we went home!

The new flying schedule for the CIA should be up on the website soon!..

Grim

Flew several minis yesterday before the bottom dropped out of the thermometer....

Mini Honest John

Mini Max

Hi-Flier (modified for 13mm MMT)

4" tall scratch build V2

and a few other odd ball scratch built minis.

Still working on a replacement for my V2 that I lost a few weeks ago. Building season has me looking at a lot of new possibilities. It's hard to keep from going overboard. Wife says I have too many hobbies.

what.. tell her Grim says there is NO SUCH THING! LOL

I have the 4" Wildman Eagle Claw and have started the ave bay for it. I am VERY particular about the working of my ave bays. As it goes.. IF you decide to get a Wild Man kit just be ready for "parts to be missing"..lol.. its just kind of "standard" for his business.

One more note about Tim from WM.. he is an X boat racer... YEP.. a boat nut like us!

Grim

what.. tell her Grim says there is NO SUCH THING! LOL

I have the 4" Wildman Eagle Claw and have started the ave bay for it. I am VERY particular about the working of my ave bays. As it goes.. IF you decide to get a Wild Man kit just be ready for "parts to be missing"..lol.. its just kind of "standard" for his business.

One more note about Tim from WM.. he is an X boat racer... YEP.. a boat nut like us!

Grim
Wait wait wait - YOU - Grim particular about ANY build let alone an AV Bay
default_ohmy.png

Nahhhh
default_wink.png

Where did he run and what Grim- I wanna pull his chain on TRF
default_rolleyes.gif

He ran in IMPBA dist 4... I raced with him a few times back in the day.

He was the guy that got the Minute Breakers there pond in Mendota IL.

Grim

Its just GREAT to see the interest growing in our little "club"!! Andy, that Hawk looks PERFECT! I was going to start on my D/E powered V-2, but got in the "small" mood again! So im messin with an Estes Crossfire( wish they would offer an XL version of this lil missle...it has very nice, clean lines)and a Semroc retro X kit of the first Estes V-2....i built one of these when i was 11 or 12....one of my favorite rockets way back when...! Happy New Year guys!

Good Stuff2013! 002.jpgGood Stuff2013! 004.jpgBB&MM.jpg

planes! 008.jpgplanes! 012.jpg

Sounds great Robin. Thanks for the offer! We'll hook up when the weather is a bit more cooperative.

chilli, if you have any "small" rockets that don't need a full fledged launch pad & field, come on over!! i've got 95 acres, & 1 good sized (30+ acre) pasture that would work. i've also got some small rockets i've never messed with. give me a call if ya want to play. tell john to bring his trucks, all the room in the world. i can get the revo or the jato out, too.

Chilli,

No worrys then my friend.. Keep on getting on.. You are about to loose your mind.......... (its a good thing)

You can see my Arcas build here..

http://www.ciarocketry.org/index.html

Go to Surveillance and then rocket builds.

Grim
Nice build pics Grim. I notices some mod's on your Arcas. I didn't do too much to mine. Just added the Estes motor retainer, some kevlar chord and a new chute. I put the Aracas Chute on the Leviathan. My two new mid powers are half way through paint. Will post some pics when I'm done.

I guess I better tell the Wildman dealer that I purchased the Darkstar from to open up the box and make sure all the parts are there. LOL

Just finished the Crossfire...! Here's a pic, Laid a white basecoat on the lil V-2, and started buildin the Estes D/E powered V-2 over the weekend....certainly havin FUN!!

planes! 004.jpg

Looking good Windex-

I made it to depot today for some sandpaper, Working on faring the conduit to the B/T on the Bomark
default_wink.png

This model is truely a PITA
default_sleep.png

Back