hull finishing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My urethane clear supplier said to not come back bitchin' to him about chemical resistance if I didn't use the specified urethane thinner with the clear. I have used regular laq thinner with a urethane clear and it's not as good as when I used the right thinner. Use reg laq thinner to clean your gun.

Rudy

i have used class kote to seal ALL my boat for the last 4yrs or so..

think about it.. west is good. but not for sealing.. reason is it is THICK.. you can put it on.. wipe it off and it don't WICK into the wood that well. i used to use west to seal but not any more.. the class kote clear is thin and wicks into the wood great.. I brush one coat on.. wipe it off. brush another wipe it off let it sick.. scuff it the next morning put one more coat on wipe it off.. scuff it and then i can shoot my final kote.

i am always trying to save weight on the boat and this will help and you won't loose anything STRUCTURALLY.

chris
we been using mostly aeromarine epoxy.. its thinner then west and easy to use..like joe said before ,we put one coat on and let it sit for 5 mins to soak in. then blade the raised wood hairs off.. same with the second coat.. If you use klass kote as your sealer?? You better stick with the klass kote paint system with your boat.. We like automotive paints because theres tons of color selections to chose form, like metalics to pearls to candy colors to flip flop color change...plus if it got damaged I can go to my local paint store and get more asap.. with klass kote you have to mail order plus pay a hazard shipping fee too. Plus klass kote only has borring soild colors same old same old...who would want a fleet with the same olds colors? Me after awhile I would get sick of it. we love to be different with colors and boats..makes it more fun and interesting..what paint do the unlimited boys use?sure isnt klass kote..all use automotive paints. some uses imorns and some uses urethanes..Oberto uses imorn on there boat.. Nate Brown U-17 red dot uses PPG concept urethane...the same with the drag boats too and there brunning hotter nitro then we are..

Last edited by a moderator:
klass kote only has borring soild colors
I use a color chart to blend colors. K&B Superpoxy product was similair, they provided mostly popular solid colors along with a color chart for mixing custom tones. I can create pretty much whatever colors I choose.
I've found that this particular Klass Kote product color chart provides better color swatches of their stock blends:

http://www.klasskote.co.uk/paint_store.htm

Klass Kote will also do custom colors.Not all automotive paints are created equal.You get what you pay for.Use to use Imron but out of my price range.A little Klass Kote goes along ways.I mix equal parts of the clear hardner and Laquer thinner.I run mostly gas now adays so i went back to automotive clear for my gassers.The Lauterbach is done with Klass Kote paint Its the one below.I dont think its Boring as someone stated.

Top coat clear, primers or colors are sprayed with my Anest Iwata LPH-80. No issues with Klass Kote
thanks for the tip on the Preval sprayer, great product for good price. I've been using a DeVilbiss gun for applying primer, color coat, and clear coat. I may consider an Iwata LPH-80, it seems better suited for small/moderate jobs. Which size nozzle are you using .8 ?
I am using the 1.2 needle and E-2 air cap. This set up works great for toy boats. Richard D

miss hydro, if you seal with Klass Kote clear, you do not have to paint with Klass Kote. PPG DPLF epoxy primer, HOK KO-Seal II, and OMNI MP-170 epoxy primer can be sprayed over the Klass Kote clear with no issues. Just sand the Klass Kote clear with 320 wet paper, before spraying the above mentioned primers. Richard D

Top coat clear, primers or colors are sprayed with my Anest Iwata LPH-80. No issues with Klass Kote
thanks for the tip on the Preval sprayer, great product for good price. I've been using a DeVilbiss gun for applying primer, color coat, and clear coat. I may consider an Iwata LPH-80, it seems better suited for small/moderate jobs. Which size nozzle are you using .8 ?
I am using the 1.2 needle and E-2 air cap. This set up works great for toy boats. Richard D
thanks

miss hydro, if you seal with Klass Kote clear, you do not have to paint with Klass Kote. PPG DPLF epoxy primer, HOK KO-Seal II, and OMNI MP-170 epoxy primer can be sprayed over the Klass Kote clear with no issues. Just sand the Klass Kote clear with 320 wet paper, before spraying the above mentioned primers. Richard D
OK if your prime the smaller hulls your adding with to the.12's.. trust me been there done that..Joe primed Ron Olsons JAE gas hull and still had proublems with the klass kote lifting..Guys save your self time a headacks,if you want a strong a durable boat/hull just use marine epoxy to seal your hulls with that what there made for.. We use aeromarine to glue and seal our hulls.. Just razor blade the nips off and wet sand with 400 and then use a red scotchbright pad to sand the edges off.. was the hull down then paint it.. we was tought that way by a few oldtimers that builds and races boats..bigger boats you can prime them,but dont get to crazy in pileing it on..=adds weight..

Latest posts

Back