How to tighten up a loose rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckshot

I'm wondering how you guys are tightening up a loose outrigger?

Do you lower the strut?

Do you add some negative angle to the strut?

Or

Do you shim up the rear boom tube?

Is there a particular "loose" situation for each adjustment point?

I.e. loose in the straights adjust the strut, loose in the corner adjust the AOA?

Any theories on these situations?

-Buck-

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering how you guys are tightening up a loose outrigger? Do you lower the strut?

Or

I.e. loose in the straights adjust the strut, loose in the corner adjust the AOA?

-Buck-

Buck What brand of boat is it? & there are many different types of Loose..... Loose on the front? Loose on the rears? Loose on the turn fin?Loose on the strut? What does putting a Shim under the rear tube Do? it does Many things Some you want Some you dont want?? Let have some fun with it.

I'm wondering how you guys are tightening up a loose outrigger? Do you lower the strut?

Or

-Buck-

Buck What brand of boat is it? & there are many different types of Loose..... Loose on the front? Loose on the rears? Loose on the turn fin?Loose on the strut? What does putting a Shim under the rear tube Do? it does Many things Some you want Some you dont want?? Let have some fun with it.

OK let’s start with a loose front end down the straights in a race chop with an occasional blow over.

I'd guess to lower the strut a touch.

-Buck-

you might want to shim the front sponson first, i 've found that shimming the front settled my ninja down without moving the strut. just a thought

you might want to shim the front sponson first, i 've found that shimming the front settled my ninja down without moving the strut. just a thought
By shimming the front sponson I hope you mean rear boom tube of the front sponson.

-Buck-

Buck What brand of boat is it?
I run SGX's and a Hummingbird. Buck, Hummingbird Every boat has a Base line set up from the mfger. if the boat is set up there you are in the ball park. Blowing over backwards can come from , Attack angle too high in front, Bent turn fin. bent rear boom tube, bent shafts in the sponsons, Strut THRUST LINE not straight in relationship to the bottom of the fronts, Putting a Shim Under the rear tube does many things. = LOADS: front sponsons, tub & turn fin.... UNLOADS Rear Sponsons & Strut.. So the Little shim works if the other things are reset........ <_<

OK let’s start with a loose front end down the straights in a race chop with an occasional blow over.

-Buck-
An SGX blowing over? Do you have the struts set like Andy & John say to set them? :blink:
Pretty Close. I have found a new prop that I like on my 20 boat that has great speed but it loosened up the boat. I think lowering the stur a bit is my answer.

-Buck-

-Buck-
An SGX blowing over? Do you have the struts set like Andy & John say to set them? :blink:
Pretty Close. I have found a new prop that I like on my 20 boat that has great speed but it loosened up the boat. I think lowering the stur a bit is my answer.

-Buck-
Lay a straightedge along the center shoe, does the strut rest flat against the straightedge following that line? :blink:

-Buck-

-Buck-
Lay a straightedge along the center shoe, does the strut rest flat against the straightedge following that line? :blink:
It is 0.03" above the bottom of the shoe at the end of the strut with 1* of angle total.

-Buck-

-Buck-

-Buck-
It is 0.03" above the bottom of the shoe at the end of the strut with 1* of angle total.

-Buck-
With the boat flat on a setup board with the strut as previously mentioned, what are the sponson angles measuring front to back across the top of sponsons? I typically ran mine at zero on the left sponson & 1/4 degree positive on the right sponson.

I set them both at zero a few weeks ago.

-Buck-

Buck,

Does the boat do a bit of a "sponson dance" before blowing off? I have seen this very trick out of ALOT of Eagles. I'm not suggesting that it's a design flaw, as I've seen several that are solid as a rock, but I've seen many that do a little front-end wobble thing, and the only option is to either get out of the throttle or watch the boat audition for the circus. When I ran my 21 SG (WITHOUT the center shoe), I had the same problem, and I solved it by increasing the attack angle and raising the strut while increasing the strut angle (maintaing prop depth, relative to rear shoes). What this did was cause the transom to ride higher, but the attack angle to remain unchanged. I think the key to what worked for me was setting in a bit of downforce on the tub.

One thing to chew on, though, and not to suggest you go cutting on your boat.......... The BEST running 21 SG I ever saw was set up with only the CENTER shoe, the two rear/side shoes were not used. Go figure.......

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Buck,
Does the boat do a bit of a "sponson dance" before blowing off?
No not really. I know what you’re talking about. The boat is solid down the straights right before liftoff. It's like if it gets a little head wind it turns into a kite. Maybe I need to decrease the AOA in the front to use the sponsons for a little down force but it handles really well in a neutral state.

-Buck-

I just went back & caught this, did you mean .030"?? As in 30 thousandths? If so put the straightedge back on the center shoe & bring the bottom of the strut to sit flat on that straightedge & then see how it is. At first glance I thought you meant .003" as in 3 thousandths, I should have read closer. :unsure:

I just went back & caught this, did you mean .030"?? As in 30 thousandths? If so put the straightedge back on the center shoe & bring the bottom of the strut to sit flat on that straightedge & then see how it is. At first glance I thought you meant .003" as in 3 thousandths, I should have read closer. :unsure:
Yep, 0.030" or about 1/32". I'll try lowering it next time I take the boat out.

-Buck-

Buckshot,

I think what you've got is a lift issue that comes about at high speed. The boat is generating lift, but not enough to "fly" the boat until it hits a sufficient speed (end of SAW is probably peak speed for most of us). When it hits that required speed, it takes off. What you need is no lift or even a bit of downforce.

Try what I did. Increase your AOA and your strut angle. If you decrease your AOA, it will settle the boat down, but it will slow it down and increase the load on the engine as well. If you INCREASE the AOA, then lift the transom via strut angle, your effective AOA will stay about the same, you will get some downforce from the tub, but the overall ride will be unaffected. If anything, you will get a lighter, yet more stable ride.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Put the strut where it belongs first. On the SG's & SGX's it all starts there. Hint- measure the AOA of the tub on the set up board after you move the strut. ;)

Latest posts

Back