How to get into FE tunnel the right way.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info!

Self-indulgence, I’m not looking to race, just make some fast passes in the neighborhood lake that my house is on. It’s about 1200’ X 300’.

Since my VS1 is running pretty good and honestly I’m happy with it. I may leave it alone and finish my Top Speed 3. I already have an extra Aquastar 120 esc, so all I’ll need is another os lower and either a Leopard 3674 or Turnigy 36X74 2200kv and I’ll be set. Would one motor be a better choice, I’m guessing the Leopard? Also what props would you recommend as a starting point for this setup, same as the ones I have for the VS1?

http://www.hobbyking...unner_19T_.html

Casey,

The Turnigy for $30 is a cheap experiment and may stress your esc the most. A Leopard will run $90 and if it was me I would add another $70 and get a 1415 Neu and not screw around with marginal equipment. The extra $70 is worth every penny in the long run and has resale value. Any of the above can blow your 120a ESC if you go big on props. What you have now for props will work fine. Even with the Turnigy adding 10-20% power and upping to 2200kv should get you 3-5 mph. The Neu will be more in the 5-8 mph range gain. Again capable of smoking your esc. Go to a Swordfish 200 amp for $115 and you have a solid unit that will fit in a narrow box, plus has a data logger. Your money your call.

Mic

http://www.offshoree...eu-1415&cat=117

Just saw this though I have never purchase from this site. Castle 1515/2200 is a great deal about $145 shipped with water jacket. this WILL take out a 120amp ESC

http://www.keithbrad...category=motors

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the info and advice! I think for now I’m going to pick up a Leopard 3674 2200kv, that along with the Aquastar 120 esc I already have I hope will make a pretty quick reliable boat if I stick with props similar to what I have. I’ve also sent Mark a few other 42x55’s to work, they may end up being the ticket on the VS1 and then I’ll use the M445 on the Top Speed 3.

i'd like to get an fe tunnel but the more i read the more confused i get. :blink:
What are you actually confused about. A lot of guys put what they know and have learned here. Is it just too many choices? or are you just wanting the perfect setup as we all try to do? Were all here to help. Mic

always been fuel-burner.so just seems like so many chioce and variables, motors,kv, amps , esc, batteries, heat ,etc,,,,

rd

Yes there can be a lot of options. What is your goal? Fun run or race a specific class. Do you have a hull to convert? What kind of budget and what amount of performance, size and speed are you looking for. I can narrow it down from there for you. I have built everything from spec to P-Q and larger. Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
hello mic, building is what i like to do but if i could find hull to convert that would be ok. would love to race if theres any going on in northga. now i run in my neighborhood pond. far as size, speed,and $ can you do any good from 500-600.range less radio gear.thanks rd

Well your in a great area for FE tunnels. To get started and the simplest would be a limited or P-spec class. Everyone runs the same motor (Aquacraft 2030) and in your area you best just go with an Aquacraft ESC. (choke sput cough) A 27-32 inch hull and your mid to high 40's. The next step up is full P (14.8v - 4S} which uses the same batteries and a 1515/2200kv Neu or Castle is the best. Unfortunately not many clubs offer P or Q (6S) but within a 300mile radius you can find 5-6 races a year offering P/limited as a class. With a pretty much standard motor and esc you will l learn all you need to know as time goes on. I would recommend Dinogy 5000ma 4S batteries. not expensive and perform well. Plenty of links here already for equipment. As for boats if you want to build there are few kits available other than the ML300 which is pretty easy to find on here also. If you want a glass boat there are plenty out there. Or do a scratch build like a Dunlap wood over foam. Cheapest way is a TS-3 from Tower while they are avaiiable and I have a thread in the FE section on building a radio box for it easily. Plenty of guys will help with advise. Just ask. Hope we see you at a race next year. Mic

If you decide to do a VS1, a couple of us have done slightly different designs on the battery box. I have a build log of my version I can give you a link if you want. (Not sure of the forum rules about links to other forums if its cool I'll put it here)

Hi guys im getting ready to get back into Tunnel racing with a P Spec Vision wanted to get this thread active again ......talked to a few friends on some good advice that helped alot ..just looking for input !!

doing well, thanx. retired now - broke, bored & luvin' it!! hunting season here, back to boat builds next month. hope all is well with you, also. look foward to seeing you at the pond next season ;) :)

Hey guys...alot of good info here,,,here is a short vid of my P-Spec PS295...I was playing around with different props...I did NOT end up using the one from this vid.. changed props and motor timing gained speed and some acceleration...I use a AQ 2030kv motor Turnigy/Hobbywing 120 esc 4S 45-90c 5300mah lipo ....I get more than enough run time ...DJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PctBzvaFY

Whats the top speed of a good p spec tunnel on perfect water?
Mine, which currently holds the P-LTD 2-lap and Heat Racing (6-lap) records in NAMBA consistently turns 15 second laps...

I would suggest that those concerning themselves with top speed would be better served optimizing handling instead. Getting through those 12 turns is what gets the win. :^)

Latest posts

Back