How to get into FE tunnel the right way.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't disagree that 55mph can be done but Darin is spot on. FE speeds are not a true test of a boat as you can easily pull more prop than you would use in a heat race. When your consistently in the 15-16 second lap range on a full 6 lap course your there. High 40's to low 50's are realistic.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't disagree that 55mph can be done ...
I actually had my Lynx well into the Mid-60's at the Legg Lake SAW last November... that was right before I hit the Island overhang!
default_blink.png

No way I'd try to turn it at those speeds, however...
default_wink.png

Boat damage was minimal, considering how hard it hit. I've repaired the hull since this. Hardest part was that it ripped the Outboard off and there is now a shiny, polished, modified for FE Lawless 3.5 setup at the bottom of the lake...
default_sad.png

I'll be tethering all my lower units from this point forward, especially if using the Dubro 3.5 mount...

I don't disagree that 55mph can be done ...

I actually had my Lynx well into the Mid-60's at the Legg Lake SAW last November... that was right before I hit the Island overhang!
default_blink.png

No way I'd try to turn it at those speeds, however...
default_wink.png

Boat damage was minimal, considering how hard it hit. I've repaired the hull since this. Hardest part was that it ripped the Outboard off and there is now a shiny, polished, modified for FE Lawless 3.5 setup at the bottom of the lake...
default_sad.png

I'll be tethering all my lower units from this point forward, especially if using the Dubro 3.5 mount...
Better add that tether to your motor too! At our last Dist. 12 race, I ended up hitting my buddy's son's boat so hard from behind that it ripped the motor,WE conversion mount and lower casting mounting plate right off...to the bottom of the pond it went!!!

Does anyone have information and pictures how to hook up a receiver battery on a p spec tunnel so the servo doesn't pull from the 4s lipo?

To use a separate RX battery just connect a short servo extension lead to the channel 2 port on your receiver with the middle (red) power wire cut. Plug your ECS lead into that extension instead of directly into the RX. The plug a normal RX battery into the RX. You can just cut the power wire on the ESC lead but a cut extension allows you to go back either way. Plus you need that power wire to connect to a laptop.

Mic

I’m not sure if this is the right forum to ask about gas sized electric power but here goes anyway. I’m sure someone will tell me if I need to post somewhere else.

First I have to admit that I’ve not read through all 15 sections of this thread and that’s because I have no experience with, or knowledge about, what appears to be a complicated ‘science’ of new technology and terminology.

So I’m asking my questions here hoping that those of you who clearly already have significant knowledge and experience with electric power in what I would call 3.5cc and 7.5cc size OB tunnel boats, will be kind enough to provide suggestions for the required equipment to power a gas-sized OB tunnel heat racer.

I understand the basic principle which determines that a fine balance needs to exist between the specifications of the main components in such a boat, that of the motor, the ECU, the battery-pack and the prop size but at this point I don’t know the ‘rules’ that determine the correct selection of a set of these above components. The following are my questions:

1. Is it possible to indicate the make, model, performance specs, and supplier/s of a suitably matching set of the four abovementioned components, to drive a 20 pound OB tunnel boat such as the new 47” THOR470, for 7 to 8 minutes of hard heat racing?
  2. Is there anyone out there who has already been working or experimenting with electric power in such a boat?

At this time I have no serious plans for such a project and I’ll continue to race a gas powered OB tunnel through the next season. But I can’t help feeling that electric power will continue to be used in more racing classes in future and I may want to be part of that development.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses to this matter.

Gas-THOR.jpg

Wennie,

I have thought about your question here and am going to re-start a thread over in the FE forum where it hopefully will get more opinions from experienced FE people.

Mic

Mic,

Can you update your latest advice for a competitive Q Tunnel setup? I thought you had posted in another thread but I cant find it. Right now I have 6S Lipo, 6000mah, 240 Castle. Looking for motor and max mm prop diameter to finish 7 laps and not toast the ESC. Im thinking in the 47mm range. Thanks.

Back