How to build a metal fuel cell

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeP

I would like to try and build a metal fuel cell with a internal sump. I think I could do it with a few tips.

Where can I get the material.

What does the internal sump need to work properly.

-MikeP

Ive done it before, but its worth the money Mike charges for them and then some. I got the material from my hobby shop, it just really thin tin. www.randyshobbyshop.com give them a call. Mike does really great work on the fuel cells and he can build just about any size you want for pennies on the dollar comparitively.

[glow=red,2,300][/glow]James

I can tell you, Mike really does a Great job with his fuel cells!!! And he stands behind his products!!!

Thanks.....

Check out Mike Z. at www.grimracer.com. He did a tank for my DPI 7.5 tunnel and it is a nice piece of work! Lightweight and a built-in sump.

well i have done it 2x myself..... only cause i did not have time to get one from mike..... but my tanks would qualify for the worlds ugliest!.....

anyways hare is my tip...... use a soldering iron not a micro torch. not enough heat control with a torch.

I have two of the fuel cells from Grimracer and getting ready to order another one. I think they are the best too. I just like to build stuff it's just part of the hobby for me. The more I build myself the better I fell about it.

-MikeP

The tank in my .12 Hammerhead is made of white brass. It solders really easy. It has some nickel in it, as well. It wont corrode.

Hammer

Hi MikeP,

If you want to do your own tank the stuff to use is called tin plate sheet (thin steel plate coated with tin). This stuff folds nicely, solders easily with a good iron and is not hard to work with. Learnt how to do this sort of thing way back when I was young and flying control line. Worth the few bucks to have a go and get the satisfaction of making a tank "just right" for your particular application. Although I do think that Grimracers tanks would make sense also.

my $0.02

GT

Back