How long does it take????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKCS

Well, heck the OPS 90 runs like a charm as long as you leave the glow plug starter attached...

So how long does it have to stay there before I can remove it? I have it running in the stand, waiting for the head to get warm to the touch before I start the water to cool it, but it never gets warm. Runnign in the stand for 10 minutes and it still is not really warm to the touch, remove the glow starter and it dies.

It runs like a champ idles and runs up and down the throttle, but stops when I remove the glow starter ( I think I said that already).

Also spits fuel out the exhaust without the exhaust preasure line connected. It was really flooding the cylinder with it hooked up so I unhooked it and it runs well. Have ran about 1/4 tank of fuel threw it without the exhaust preasure line connected, and the glow plug starter in place, but it will look real silly in the water with glow plug starter attached. (joke)

Any "professional" points of view?

Thanks...

I am not familiar with that motor but it sounds like it is too rich. turn the needle in a 1/2 turn and see what happens. Hopefully some one who knows more than I do will jump in here and give you an answer.

It sounds like you are rich. The pressure line should be connected and the glow driver can be removed almost immediately. You could possibly have a bad plug as well.

OK, I guess I will be pulling the motor to change out the carb. The current carb doesn't have a setting needle setup, just an port for the fuel line and the throttle arm on top. No adjustment that I can see...

Thanks, for the insight, will change and start again.

Beryl

SKCS said:
OK, I guess I will be pulling the motor to change out the carb.  The current carb doesn't have a setting needle setup, just an port for the fuel line and the throttle arm on top.  No adjustment that I can see...
Thanks, for the insight, will change and start again.

Beryl

109680[/snapback]

You can add a needle valve in line to adjust mixture instead for changing carbs

OK, this looks great, but I have a 2-inch length fuel line to carb.

Do I cut the line place in-between? I assume so, but will I need to let it flop in the boat or is there a way to holder down, or not required?

I know this seems odd to ask, but it doesn't seem right to let it flop. I will be in Norfolk in Nov so maybe I can get the advice in person.

I went through some of the pics and didn't any of these on the boats. I have a new Areomarine carb with needle valve setup. It isn't installed the carb, but packaged separately.

But installing one inline would be easier, just have to wait two weeks for Tower Hobbies to ship. But then, I am not placing it back in the salt water. It will run in the stand until I get it correct.

As for the plug, I replaced it with new OS #8 plug and it ran as long as the starter was attached.. I assumed the engine would run off the cylinder temp, for the glow plug has to go out when I remove the starter...

So much to learn,,,

Thanks, I will get on order this evening...

Just cut the line and let it flop. The needle points in the direction of the flow. Make sure you start rich. No problem helping you out in Norfolk but by November it's gonna be a little cold for me.

I am getting the bracket also, it is for mounting to the cover plate, but I can set it up on the rail. Don't like to have things just flopping in the boat, sort of a neatness nut.

Thanks for the info, I should see in parts in about a week or so. I found a few others that run out by some waters by Indian Head? I assume that is a allowed area.

Once I get this installed, where should the setting be on the needle, run it rich I assume is wide open and the flow will be easy. Then tighten as required?

Bed time here, have to make rounds a 0430.

Thanks again,

Beryl

Was this engine new or second hand?If it was new in box they come with a remote mixture control with 3rd channel adjuster part number OP99500.

With this you need to drill out spray bar to 0.0730 to get enough fuel to the engine.

I've been using the Aeromarine antenna mount for my remote needles but it wouldn't be any big deal to make one. This works great on the K&B and CMD/Kalistratov needles or any others that have a nut on the base.

The fuel is new from the local hobby shop, but I am in Turkey, so who knows how long its been sitting in country.

The glow plug is not turning black, I believe the over amount of fuel getting dumped into the cylinder is causing the kill when I take off the starter. Getting the needle valve and will install and see what happens.

The engine is rebuilt, but I have a new carb setup in box, will install the inline valve first and then see what is better, I think the inline will be eaiser to adjust than the one that is on the carb for it is on the bottom of the carb and buried deep below everything.

Beryl

Beryl,

Don't clutter your thinking with fuel or plugs. We already know the problem. Open the needle up 6 turns. This should be plenty rich for most needles. If to rich then you will see anything from a bogging effect to what you have now. If to lean the engine will be overly perky and crisp.

Generally, for a good needle setting, when you pull the trigger wide open it should be 2-3 seconds before the engine cleans out.

Got it, I will let you know the results when the parts arrive.

Thanks,

Beryl

Back