How do you support your habit?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Shoboat, and everyone else who is interested?

I am the guy that over sees the site. I am a safety Engineer for a heavy civil construction company. Came out of an automotive mechanic / autobody backround (did that for about 10yrs).

To this day i still love when the painters are on site (lol) all the guys are running and the safety guy stays behind to get the smells of yesterday. I realy missed working with my hands so power boats and backyard mechanics is my fix.

This was a good thread, i have been wondering what most of you guys do in your spare time???

im glad i dont work yet ;D ;D

but then again, i have to go to school :'(

on the weekends i help my dad on the farm [driveing tractors, picking up hay bails, and keeping the cattle all numbered] and help out with my cusin in the concrete business...ruff job on your back.

I have one of the greatest jobs in all of sports - I operate the Zamboni ice resurfacing machine at the recreation center where I've worked for the last seven years since retiring from teaching. I also clean toilets, mop floors, clean windows, take out the trash, and vacuum carpet, but driving the Zamboni is the best part of the job.

Actually, most of my modeling expenses are paid by my writing of articles for RC Boat Modeler and doing R&D projects for two major hobby distributors.

Jerry D.

**** guys, Makes me feel so little in life.

I am a Forklift mechanic, On costmers sight repair guy.

Yes I get dirty, some days i bust my butt, others I dont.

Most of all, normally home by 1 am after billing a 8 hour day, goods and bads to it.

Is it just me or does JD look evil in that picture? I would hate to race against him!

I work construction, concrete and masonry. But some of my hobby money comes from donating plazma. It's like giving blood but they only keep the plazma cells for making drugs. It takes about an hour and they pay $30.00 per time! You can go twice a week, thats $240.00 a month cash! In fact I have to go in a few min. See ya!

I work for a large car dealership, been here 20 years. 10 years as a Mitsubishi Tech and the last 10 years as a network administrator. My son and I keep all the computers, printers and networks running. We have 18 new car franchises and 4 body shops spread out across the valley all connected with voice and data.

www.kengarff.com

-MikeP

Jerry, I didn't know that you had such a cool (pun intended) job! diod you ever hear the song "I just want to drive the Zamboni!" You'd love it. The other stuff like the Janitorial is a downside though. I did that for a few months while I was out of work in a Labor Dispute to put it mildly. I worked at the University ( W. Mich. Univ.) cleaning up after College kids. What pigs! Our local Hockey Stadium used to hold R/C truck races between periods on the ice.

Nothing wrong being a Fork Lift Wrench, Nitrotoys, I used to drive the hell out of Clarks, Yales and Heysters. One of my Brothers is a licensed FL Mechanic.

during the day I'm a cnc operator, assemblier, mantance person. then in the eves. I run a small cnc machine shop that I own! making boat hardware for every one . and on some weekends I work on aircraft as a A&P technicion

yea a very bussy life but I don't get much time for my self ! Just gota keep the cash flow coming in .

Jimmy Whitbeck

Owner of

J&D machine and products

Do you notice a bit of a trend here?

The majority of respondents have some sort of technical background, or work with mechanical stuff for a living.

Not to many airline stewardesses or beauty pageant winners in this hobby. ;D

I do electro-mechanical service on amusement equipment during the day, but that won't support my habit. I started a small business called Active Tuning. I manufacture aftermarket styling parts for the new Nissan Altimas in my spare time to help with the hobby expenses. It cuts into the building time though! : :)

I framed houses for a few years until I just could not stand the heat anymore. I live in Georgia, and it gets pretty darn hot here in the summer. For the last 12 years, I have been doing plumbing out of Local 72. It sucks just like anything else. I got layed off a year ago and decided to start my own business. Now I do remodeling and home maintainence. I like working for myself ;D 8)

Supervisor/Engineer/ERC Motoman Robot Programmer/Safety Co-ordinator/Lift-truck driver/Trainer/what ever it takes to get the job done. Design & Supervise the manufacturing of equipment for the Swine Industry. 40-70 hrs/week

If you need Stainless Steel 304 grade for "turn fins" I can get the scraps 18ga, 16ga, 14ga, 12ga, 3/16"

Some soft aluminium.

Well , I was motorcycle tech for five years while I was in college, Factory Certified for Honda, Kaw, Yamaha, and BMW. I now have my Bachelors in Electronic Instrumention. I have been a Biomedical Technician for about a year now ( I work on hospital and clinical equipment, specializing in dialysis machines ) The money is great and I have a huge amount of flexibilty in my schedule, ( I havent seen my boss in over six months.....just the way I like it 8) )

www.gambro.com

~ James

Hell Yes we all need to have mechanical Skills to work on the nitro boats. Now there is a Idea SELL Your blood for hobby money, Wonder if i could get the wife to go in and i could double that. Couse she would take that to the shoe store or mall. I have seen posts from people all over the world, Seems to me its a very open hobby and how others pass on info for the new guy to get into it. I have learned alot from all the men and woman from this board. Now that i know what people do, Mine isnt all that bad, I only see and talk to my boss every 4 weeks, needed or not.

I have several language schools in the Tokyo Yokohama area of Japan. I have been teaching English to Japanese children for the last 12 years. Being that most the children are in school from 8:00 until 14:00, my personally run business starts at 15:00. Hmm, what do I do with all of my morning time? Well, I work for the Yokohama Board of Education as a Social Studies Teacher.

Before that, I was in the U.S. Navy. I was an Avionics tech. I worked on VHF/UHF tranceivers, and some other stuff that I promised I would never mention again when I got out. Have any of you ever taken a nap in the cockpit of a F18? I have. Got yelled at for doing it though.

Hammer

Work ,work, work,work, work, work, work, work.

oh and work.
;DI'm a diesel mechanic for a concrete company in Chicago, IL and also have experince with heavy equipment(Volvo front-end loaders, excavators, skid steers...)and auto mechanic knowlage. All this at the age of 24!

The hours at work can be numerous, but thank god for the weekends, well that is when I'm not out with the race team that I joined with this year(Alcohol funny car pit crew mechanic).

Yes, I have no life, all work and little play. I guess that my boats are my excape from the every day BS.

Andy

Currently the maintenance engineer at a Peabody coal mine in Kentucky. In charge of keeping all the continuous miners, ram cars, and roof bolters running.....so you all have lights and A/C, haha. Not a bad job, pays the bills. Before that, was a mechanic on a nuclear submarine in the Navy. So, no, I've never slept in a F-18, but I have been lulled to sleep by a nice, warm 30,000HP steam turbine. But seriously, where I live is perfect.....cheap land with plenty of old strip pits that are now ponds......perfect for SAW rigger action (my favorite).

I work for Frito-Lay as a Key Account Manager and I call on our Largest customers, Wal-Mart and 7-Eleven.

Nope, I'm not tired of chips yet. LOL :eek: :)

geee

there seems to be a lot of brains in this hobby ! how did i get in?

i am a salesman for a hardware store,

before that i have been a cabinet maker w/house slave for over 70 companys as p/time, a driver of med supplies, driver of food products, a fork driver, assistant w/house manager of the largest music chain in australia, a slave for a company that hire me out p/time,

so out of every one here i feel so un important "a little organism that you med freaks poke and prode with little needles"

paul

and i'm only 23

i feel so old

Back