How do I finish my wood boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitaccio

I just finished my first boat, a blizzard outrigger. I want it to be as smooth as possible in the water and want some help on how to finish it. I have to paint it since I made a few sanding errors. What should I use and what not use? Any help or advice?

You have to try the WORLD FAMOUS MikeP sealing method! It's awesome! ;D ;D ;D ;D

MIT

Because it FE you might want to ask this question in the FE section of this website. However on my FE rigger I use clear auto paint for both sealing and finish. Its easy to use and does not make the wood look funky like epoxys can.

Grim

here's a cheap and easy way for a wood electric-

first use LIGHT coats of spray can type automotive primer and sand most off until smooth, then good ole krylon spray paint will work. get the primer at any autoparts store, krylon or equivelent spraypaint at the hardware store, many colors to choose from. ;)

a better, more expensive, time consuming way would be to seal it with west systems epoxy usings mikep's paper towel trick. then spraypaint

lol, even better is grims way, but that way you need the auto paint (relatively big $) and the spray equipment. it all depends on your resources.

***lightweight finish is your goal with that hull, the less paint the better ;)

I like the paper towel method, but I don't have enough time in a day to do it. I also have tried other methods of using epoxy and got a yellow hue to it and it peeled off like rubber. Any ideas on that problem? And any ideas on painting?

Back