HELP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the LS is a front ex. eng; the header is a 180 deg to point to the back of the boat is 3 1/2". the pipe (OPS 3280) alone is more than 4" from the start of the cone to the fat section. How can you set the pipe to 4". This is the second reference to 4". AM I missing some thing or is this the wrong set up. I was told 8 1/2" was a good starting point.

Ok when they say 4" they mean forget the header, hold your ruler at the side of the engine inline with the plug and measure from there to the fat of the pipe. Is your pressure fitting clear on the pipe? how old is the engine? I was having the same issue and my front bearing (small bearing) was going. Try taking your whole fuel system and see if its airtight (hold under water and blow thru pressure fitting hose and make sure you have no leaks all the way to the carb end of the hose) ya know pitch one end and blow thru simple check for leaks(Ohhh dont do this with fuel in the system)NITRO tastes BAD and sorta burns...........lol. I use a BVM needle on my NR .21 and have no issues. Make sure your third channel needle is clear, I have also had some of that **** dogwood cotton **** get in the needle. H4 is small enough, could try your strut level with the rears or even above, all your trying to do is launch now and next will be speed. It really does sound like you got some issue between your pressure fitting on your pipe and your carb, your header gasket is good correct?

Hope these ideas help,

Paul

well got it to go.

Used my BV needle. But it still won't pull a H4 used a 1440 and found the needle.

Runs real stable and coiners good. The eng revs good and sounds good.

Any tips on what to do to pull the H4. This eng should have the power.

Will check the pipe length for 4".

Have the rear sponsons set 1/8 above board and strut set at 1 1/2 deg with front of strut level with sponson and back 1/16 below board.

I can use all the help I can get being a newbie.

Well I checked the pipe and it's at 3 1/2 could this be the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
by chance do you have a 90degree pressure fitting on the pipe.. if so check and make sure it is not plugged off. happens alot . if you have one on there put a drill bit in. if it doesn't bottom out on the fitting it is closed off to much.

chris

Make sure none of your water lines or water nipples have a leak and maybe could spray down the carby. I had the same problem a few weeks ago boat would go 50 feet and stop, drove me crazy. You see once the boat is moving and water pressure is building up then some water in the carb and the fire is out.

well got it to go.

Used my BV needle. But it still won't pull a H4 used a 1440 and found the needle.

Have the rear sponsons set 1/8 above board and strut set at 1 1/2 deg with front of strut level with sponson and back 1/16 below board.

Pull the pipe out to 4 inches using the method ddescribed in previous post. Set boat on flat surface, with front and rears touching the flat surface. You may have to loosen strut to achieve this. Now take a .030 or .040 shim and place it under the front part of the strut. Now hhold the back of the boat down, and also the back of the strut, and have a helper tighten the strut. The back of the strut and the rear sponsons should now be touching the flat surface. This may not be the ultimate set for your boat, but will get you close enough to launch and pull the H-4. Make sure motor is in good condition. Bearings, and a good piston and sleeve fit, and no scoring around intake window of crankshaft= a happy .21 Richard D

well got it to go.

Pull the pipe out to 4 inches using the method ddescribed in previous post. Set boat on flat surface, with front and rears touching the flat surface. You may have to loosen strut to achieve this. Now take a .030 or .040 shim and place it under the front part of the strut. Now hhold the back of the boat down, and also the back of the strut, and have a helper tighten the strut. The back of the strut and the rear sponsons should now be touching the flat surface. This may not be the ultimate set for your boat, but will get you close enough to launch and pull the H-4. Make sure motor is in good condition. Bearings, and a good piston and sleeve fit, and no scoring around intake window of crankshaft= a happy .21 Richard D
Thanks for the info.

Should I make the front and rear sponsons the same hight with the tub level before I set the strut.

David,

Check your email or give me a call around 8:00 PM tonight.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

231-590-3023

David,

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

231-590-3023
David, i would set the front sponson angle of attack suggested in the plans, and the depth of the rear sponsons suggested in the plans. What i was trying to explain to you was, to try the strut even with the bottom of the rear sponsons, instead of below the rears. Many times setting the strut below the rears, will load a .21 engine to much, and cause problems like you are having. Good luck, and let us know how you are progressing. Richard D

David,

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

231-590-3023
David, i would set the front sponson angle of attack suggested in the plans, and the depth of the rear sponsons suggested in the plans. What i was trying to explain to you was, to try the strut even with the bottom of the rear sponsons, instead of below the rears. Many times setting the strut below the rears, will load a .21 engine to much, and cause problems like you are having. Good luck, and let us know how you are progressing. Richard D
Richard

Thanks for the input.

Will try raising the strut this weekend.

Will post how it goes.

Want to give the NAMBA Dis3 guys some on new to race with. But I don't want to be another buoy to go around.

David

David,

How did the boat work with your new set up last night?

I think you are on the right track with the set up now.

The digital angle finder will help a lot with your set

ups in the future.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Mark

Got the digital level last night AOA was at 2.3. Boy that level is a big time saver. Flipped the boat over and used the bottom like you said. Much better than the board.

Can check the square of the whole boat in a mater of minutes.

Got rained out last night and to night. will let you know how it works.

David

Just got back off the lake. Still wont launch the H4. Got new needle from Stu the CMB 3rd channel. Will launch the 1440 and runs good at 3 1/2 on the pipe. Strut set level with the rear sponsons and some angle with back of strut 1/16 below sponsons.

Put a .060 retractor in water line. Once up to temp eng screams going to go to .040 on restriction.

Going to shop to get 1445 and try tonight and some tubing to choke down pipe to .290 seams to like to run hot.

Likes the O'Donnell 77 plugs more than the K&B 1L.

David

Getting better Pulling a 1640. Tried a AQ 42x66 but would not get on pipe. Seem to like 40mm props.

Going to try 1740,1938 and 2035 next.

Runs faster in the corners under load.

Got the pipe to 3 1/8 need to cut to get more.

David

Getting better Pulling a 1640. Tried a AQ 42x66 but would not get on pipe. Seem to like 40mm props.

Going to try 1740,1938 and 2035 next.

Runs faster in the corners under load.

Got the pipe to 3 1/8 need to cut to get more.

David
if the 21LS has the stock cmb carb, it has a low speed fuel flow adjustment on end the barrel.

Sounds like it may be set leanish.. runs ok on small props but lean on bigger

jm2cw

Wayne

David,

So what is your AOA now?

Try moving the strut height a little higher like 1/8" higher

and see what that does? You have to have something wrong

in the motor or set up not to be able to pull a small H-4.

I received my batteries. Thank You! I will send you another

propeller to try next time out.

Thanks Again,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Back