HELP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwilfong

This little wooden toy has got the best of me.

I am talking about my Kep's rigger. Cant get it to go.

Have a CMB 21LS an OPS 3280 pipe set at 8 1/2" trying to use a H4 prop. Spent 3hr messing with the needle. A K needle started at 1 1/2 turns. When I go lean runs about 50 ft. and stops when I go rich runs 50 ft. and seams to bite and reves drop in half.

Act's like to much prop. H4 should be a good starting prop?

Messed with strut raised it up no difference.

Checked fuel lines and needle good flow no junk in line.

What next.

Almost enough to make a grown man cry! If I was younger I would use the nitro to set it on fire!

well i cant help but very intrested in the answers also cause another boat of mine is doing the exact same thing

try a MC-9 and set the 3280 @ 4" (start point) measured from the glowplug to the widest section of the pipe.

1 other thought is you have a coarse needle where there should be a fine needle

and check for detonation.

Last edited:
Sounds like you just can't get a needle.

Check for air leaks at the carb, back plate and head. Have you tried switching tanks?

try a MC-9 and set the 3280 @ 4" (start point) measured from the glowplug to the widest section of the pipe.

1 other thought is you have a coarse needle where there should be a fine needle

and check for detonation.
4" on the pipe using a 180 header will never happen. I was told that the neddle was a fine. Is there a eazy way to tell witch one it is.

I have some ODO003 blue plug. A cooler plug would work better?

Sounds like you just can't get a needle.

Check for air leaks at the carb, back plate and head. Have you tried switching tanks?
I made the tank my self. Going to buy a new tank so there is no question about the tank.

Oring on back plate is good and so is one on carb. The spray bar is new from Stu.

Marty D sent me a E-mail "Water in your fuel". If you dump your boat and pump the fuel out back in your jug, a small amount of water can get in. Drove Marty crazy, till he switched fuel. B) B)

Well I pulled the needle and compared it to a K&B. The flow dose change a lot more on the k than the K&B.

Are the 21's that touchy with the needle.

Marty D sent me a E-mail "Water in your fuel". If you dump your boat and pump the fuel out back in your jug, a small amount of water can get in. Drove Marty crazy, till he switched fuel. B) B)
It was a new jug and the boat never went under

This little wooden toy has got the best of me.

I am talking about my Kep's rigger. Cant get it to go.

Have a CMB 21LS an OPS 3280 pipe set at 8 1/2" trying to use a H4 prop. Spent 3hr messing with the needle. A K needle started at 1 1/2 turns. When I go lean runs about 50 ft. and stops when I go rich runs 50 ft. and seams to bite and reves drop in half.

Act's like to much prop. H4 should be a good starting prop?

Messed with strut raised it up no difference.

Checked fuel lines and needle good flow no junk in line.

What next.

Almost enough to make a grown man cry! If I was younger I would use the nitro to set it on fire!
Try a different fresh jug of fuel.

Well I pulled the needle and compared it to a K&B. The flow dose change a lot more on the k than the K&B.

Are the 21's that touchy with the needle.
yes, very touchy on the needle. the smaller the motor, the finer the threads on the needle.

OK have a jug of 55 never opened will give it a try.

What is the best needle for a 21.

are you running pressure to the fuel tank?

Put a smaller prop on it and find out if its fuel or an air leak problem....

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone put any type of a flow meter on it to see what it's doing and where it's at?

Somehow it's leaning out.

And a dumb question, but is the slot in the spray bar facing in if it has one?

Has anyone put any type of a flow meter on it to see what it's doing and where it's at?

Somehow it's leaning out.

And a dumb question, but is the slot in the spray bar facing in if it has one?
No slot in spray bar just has a nipple.

Guest it's time to get a flow meter.

if you still have problems please try this:

set your pipe length to the suggested 4 inches measured ALONG aide the motor from an imaginary line centered from teh plug to the high point of the pipe.

set your strut so that the bottom of the strut has aprox. 1 to 1 1/2 degrees negetive angle and the DEPTH set Aprox. 1/16 inch below the bottom of the rear sponsons. (that is the bottom of the strut measured to the bottom of the rear sponsons).

if your motor came with a CMB needle, by all means, use that one. it is a very good needle valve assembly. set the motor on the rich side (barely clearing out on land) and give it a flat quick launch and it should pop right up once it hits the water and you give it throttle.

let us know how it goes.

that motor likes the head clearance set at .006 to .007 in.

Carl

if anyone has a Boris Mazor flow meter in your club or area, set the needle at aprox. 75 for starters.

Back