Help with Lynx CG adjustment advice

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronratoff

Hi need some setup help - I am setting up a Lynx hull I have had sitting around for 3 years from Ron Drake, and the CG with everything installed is coming up at around 7 3/4" with stock OS 21 engine. Since the specs are asking for 7 3/8" to 7 1/2" for a stock engine. I believe its going to need around 2- 21/2 ounces of weight to move CG to the correct position. Is that a ridiculous amount to add or does it take that much sometimes to get it right, and is the area between the fuel tank and the motor an OK place to add the weight or is there a better location that would work well?

Thanks for the help guys I'm trying to get this right. :)
Ron Ratoff

There is a weight box between the radio box and the front drivers compartment on mine. An old plastic Kodak film container with a snap on lid, glued into the hull. Mine balanced out at 7-1/2" and runs fine. Ron, I would just run it first and see what you got.

Ron,

I am a firm believer that no weight should be used behind the fuel tank towards the transom. Use the weight placement areas in front and behind the radio box, in front of the fuel tank. If it works right, about 1/3rd of the total weight should be in front of the radio box and 2/3rd just behind the radio box. It will give you a more consistent ride in all conditions.

I used same thing flat spot in Front of radio box drilled small hole in top deck (be careful not to hit bottom deck ) and siliconed in a small films container .. This is what Carl V suggested that way u could add weight for water conditions if needed!!

Ron,

Just run the boat and see what it does. Adding weight my rule of thumb similar to John is 1oz in back of the radio box to 1/2oz in front. I don't get hung up on copying someone's exact CG. Just a guideline. I have 10 to 20 tunnels in my work room that have won a few races and records and I don't know the CG on any of them. Maybe I am just lucky on setup. Run the boat and try trim/props and last of all add weight when its that close.

Mic

Mic is right. Each bat is a little different. Just don't put weight on the sponson tips. Some are going to do it just to see what happens but take it from me the boat will trim best if you only add weight from the flat back. Sponson tip weight on the Lynx can cause the boat to become "hooky" and dart in the turns. Put weight anywhere inside the boat you need to "at" or "behind" the flat area to get the initial G/G right to start with. Then, go from there.

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everybody it's been a couple of years due to getting hurt but Mary and I are glad we are getting back racing again! It's amazing how much you forget. Appreciate all the help! Ron

Latest posts

Back