GPS Speed Meters

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind, when you run the SkyRC unit in your boat, it will temporarily lose contact and real time read-out with your phone as it will be out of range. However, when you return to shore and the unit is within proximity of your phone again, it will relay all of the data it recorded.

Makes me wonder about the GPS sensitivity setting within the phone OS.

I use a weather station app on my phone that is highly accurate and accurate to my location, as long as I have the accuracy set to highest setting.

Screenshot_20220107-094250.png

Screenshot_20220107-094551.png

Makes me wonder about the GPS sensitivity setting within the phone OS.

I use a weather station app on my phone that is highly accurate and accurate to my location, as long as I have the accuracy set to highest setting.

View attachment 299460

View attachment 299461
You need to move your weather station. As long as the system is consistent from day to day for comparison purposes it should be fine. I get more use out of a stop watch as long as I have access to a race course to run around the buoys on. Then I check to see what kind of speed I’m getting. What’s funny with the sky rc unit is you can view your track around the race course. It would be eye opening for many to see how sloppy they drive.
John

Attachments

• 90EA0CD7-5F1A-40D1-AC73-83598FDFCAF8.png
    90EA0CD7-5F1A-40D1-AC73-83598FDFCAF8.png
    371.2 KB · Views: 8
You need to move your weather station. As long as the system is consistent from day to day for comparison purposes it should be fine. I get more use out of a stop watch as long as I have access to a race course to run around the buoys on. Then I check to see what kind of speed I’m getting. What’s funny with the sky rc unit is you can view your track around the race course. It would be eye opening for many to see how sloppy they drive.
John

John, I'm confuse (fairly common experience these days!)..... we're not having any issues with

our weather station app.... I was just noting the GPS sensitivity settings within the phone

settings, relative to Mario's statement.... however, now looking at it again, seems he was referring

to signal from in-boat sensor to phone. Don't think phone sensitivity settings would have any effect

on that.

The unit itself still does a fantastic job of recording data once out of phone (Bluetooth) range.
The satellites stay connected and the unit logs everything accurately until you bring the boat back to the dock and the Bluetooth reconnects to relay what the unit tracked.
As far as we can tell, it's incredibly accurate.
We clocked my Slingshot with a Stalker radar unit once and confirmed the same speeds that the GPS logged.
Screenshot_20210530-135038_GNSS PA.jpg

Received mine within a week from China, but it's not working... When I hook it up to charge the build-in battery the unit gets warm, but no led light up. Also no signal can be found with my phone / laptop. So have returned it and ordered a new one from another seller.

John, I'm confuse (fairly common experience these days!)..... we're not having any issues with

our weather station app.... I was just noting the GPS sensitivity settings within the phone

settings, relative to Mario's statement.... however, now looking at it again, seems he was referring

to signal from in-boat sensor to phone. Don't think phone sensitivity settings would have any effect

on that.

Tim, I was suggesting you move down to Florida, thus change your weather station.
John

I tried all three from Amazon and returned two. The SkyRC GSM020 (no display, but bluetooth logger app) is definitely the way to go!
The unit is completely sealed except for the reset hole and charging/data port.
Just put a small piece of clear radio box tape on those small openings and velcro that badboy anywhere in the hull.
I'm waiting for someone to offer a 2.4 GHz version with an onshore gateway for realtime monitoring...I can dream!

We've had members use both out here at our club. I use a Sky RC unit, as it's just a little smaller than the Dynamite GPS and therefore easier to tuck in the radio box. I've also sealed it inside a balloon and foam to tuck away towards the front of boats that are more weight sensitive.
But 6/half dozen, they're both great tuning tools and you'll be happy with either one.View attachment 299210
Unit pictured next to my receiver for scale.

We've had members use both out here at our club. I use a Sky RC unit, as it's just a little smaller than the Dynamite GPS and therefore easier to tuck in the radio box. I've also sealed it inside a balloon and foam to tuck away towards the front of boats that are more weight sensitive.
But 6/half dozen, they're both great tuning tools and you'll be happy with either one.View attachment 299210

Beautiful job on that radio box. Did you fabricate those servo mounts?
I had to make some to attach to the pump for my KMB Jet. Quite a job!

Attachments

• 1915E289-459C-4DE1-83E8-05DA381018B3.jpeg
    1915E289-459C-4DE1-83E8-05DA381018B3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I tried all three from Amazon and returned two. The SkyRC GSM020 (no display, but bluetooth logger app) is definitely the way to go!
The unit is completely sealed except for the reset hole and charging/data port.
Just put a small piece of clear radio box tape on those small openings and velcro that badboy anywhere in the hull.
I'm waiting for someone to offer a 2.4 GHz version with an onshore gateway for realtime monitoring...I can dream!

Maybe they have changed since I first looked at and bought my SkyRC GSM020....but can you really log the course and view the course now? How do you do that? Does it enable you to see corner speeds? (ie hover over any part of the course and it shows a speed)

The unit itself still does a fantastic job of recording data once out of phone (Bluetooth) range.
The satellites stay connected and the unit logs everything accurately until you bring the boat back to the dock and the Bluetooth reconnects to relay what the unit tracked.
As far as we can tell, it's incredibly accurate.
We clocked my Slingshot with a Stalker radar unit once and confirmed the same speeds that the GPS logged.
View attachment 300000
TRIED THIS METHOD TODAY INSIDE MY RADIO BOX. WORKED WELL. THANKS MARIO.

Latest posts

Back