GPS Speed Meters

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBrocato

Supporting Member
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on GPS Speed meters for our boats? I see that Skyrc and Dynamite RC both make a unit. Any preferences ...and why?

Thanks in advance!!
Bob

We've had members use both out here at our club. I use a Sky RC unit, as it's just a little smaller than the Dynamite GPS and therefore easier to tuck in the radio box. I've also sealed it inside a balloon and foam to tuck away towards the front of boats that are more weight sensitive.
But 6/half dozen, they're both great tuning tools and you'll be happy with either one.20211227_234651.jpg
Unit pictured next to my receiver for scale.

I use the Dynamite version ...it's $100 and works well...has a cool downloadable program that tracks your boat course so you can see how consistant you are on your laps and gives the speed at any point on the lap...battery life is a little short so have a charge cable and plug in on your car acc. port...I store mine a fishing lure water proof case from cabellas...then just velcro anywhere

We used Eagle Tree data loggers for both model and full size boats. We also used a standard Garmin GPS and a radar gun for peak speeds. Below is the data from our UIM record run that still stands as the fastest full size electric boat.

Lohring Miller

UIM runs.JPG

The SkyRC mentioned above is the way to go. Super accurate (checked mph vs car speedometer and was spot on) and it’s the smallest available that I’m aware of to fit in a boat, under a cowl, in a radio box, etc. Not to mention keeps data logs so you can compare and contrast mph runs after swapping props, making setup changes, etc.

+1 for the sky RC. Very small and what's nice is you can waterproof it in a condom or balloon, leave it tucked away and access it from your phone. It also uses the latest GNSS technology, it picked up a signal in my basement!

BTW, if you're looking for a replacement for the now defunct Eagle Tree, SM Modelbau in Germany has a great solution. It has open source s/w, the developer is very helpful and it accepts three analogue inputs, I'm getting CHT and EGT from two of them.

https://www.sm-modellbau.de/ (use the Google translate extension on your browser)

full

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread. I just purchased one of these for Christmas but was hesitant to install among my RX inside the radio box. Glad to know it works well next to the 2.4 receiver!

You got my curiosity sparked, so ordered one as well. Can't believe they only cost 55$ incl shipping!

Direct in China: look on the websites that sell stuff from China, found mine on Ali Express, but there are several of those chinese based ebay like sites

Got mine from Amazon ...arrived next day. Love the display back to my phone via Bluetooth. Had in the car today and very accurate with my car speedo. $$$ well spent.

Bob

Keep in mind, when you run the SkyRC unit in your boat, it will temporarily lose contact and real time read-out with your phone as it will be out of range. However, when you return to shore and the unit is within proximity of your phone again, it will relay all of the data it recorded.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back