Got me a new Vegas Duce!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok now lets talk about some mods. head shim or not? running 30% what about the pipe?

what is the hot .18 motor TZ?
Thats the motor thats been kickin my butt from time to time.....been runnin a CVRM, and its a great little runner, but just doesnt twist up like a TZ.....O.S. should just make a water cooled TZ and be done with it!

CVRM is pretty forgiving when it comes to tuning it. You can be a little off on the needle and it still runs decent. Also with the pipe length. The TZ I have...not so much. I did finally pop a rod in the TZ. I rebuilt it, but never put it back in a boat (still has a pinch at the top of the cylinder).

If you get the TZ, and get it tuned right, you will have a noticable speed advantage over the CVRM.

Both engines have the same bore and stroke. Both have the same carb bore. Timing on the TZ is a little better, and the compression ratio is a little higher.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, in the opening of this post you mentioned cutting the cowl for better airflow. I plan on running my deuce in a stock class can you post a pic or describe in detail which parts of the cowl that your cutting out for better air flow please. What's the purpose of going to the SV 27 Aluminum flywheel is it just to save some weight or is there another reason. AS far as the collet change are you doing this just because octura's is better and it holds the shaft better and keeps it mor aligned with the stuffing tube? Any other fixes that I should know about other than sanding down the sponsons some to free the drag up? How much should be cut off of the rudder blade to gain some mph but still have good steering control? we are allowed to do this in my club's stock class.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

the soul purpose for the flywheel switch is the steel black ones tend to not run true,,causing shaft failure and such.. the octura collets are just nicer and last longer than the aqua ones...

ac

Stock flex Collet also holds the flex shaft too well. After a bit of use you will have to kind of screw it in and out of the collet.

The stock flywheel has a brass taper collet under it. This collet seems to get squished so that the flywheel no longer runs true. The SV27 flywheel does not use a collet.

Check the stubshaft to bearing clearance on your boat. If the bearing is too tight on the stubshaft, do something about it before you lose you shaft/prop...

Sean

the soul purpose for the flywheel switch is the steel black ones tend to not run true,,causing shaft failure and such.. the octura collets are just nicer and last longer than the aqua ones...

ac
I purchased the SV27 flywheel at my LHS but they were out of the 5mm Octura Collet so I just put the original collet back on with the new flywheel. I did notice that the SV27 flywheel sticks out a little further on the shaft then the original black one did and I did try to run it like this and the collet came off of the shaft after the motor ran for about 20 seconds! Do I need to file down or grind down the little extra material on the flywheel that faces towards the motor as there is small circular area around the hole that sticks out a little bit which doesn't allow the flywheel to press against the engine as closely as the original one did? I do have the octura collet on order so I'm hoping that will correct the issue!

Here is what I know.. dont know if this will help..

The stock Vegas flywheel uses a taper collet

The stock SV flywheel is just a slip fit (it can be tight)

The stock Vegas flex coupler uses 14 and 12mm wrenches to open and close

The stock SV flex coupler uses 12 and 10mm wrenches

The SV flywheel and coupler do on average run truer then the Vegas system.

I like to use the SV flywheel and coupler on all my 12 to 18 powered boats

Also: Im quite sure the Qctura flex coupler and the SV one will work on either flywheel but the Vegas one will only work on the vegas flywheel

Grim

agreed,,,for sure... you can only use the sv collet with the sv flywheel..the vegas collet seems to cause issue.... DO NOT file that nub off of the back of the sv flywheel,,,that stands the rest of the flywheel off the engine,,, if you file it,,it will rub all over the front bearing area...

ac

agreed,,,for sure... you can only use the sv collet with the sv flywheel..the vegas collet seems to cause issue.... DO NOT file that nub off of the back of the sv flywheel,,,that stands the rest of the flywheel off the engine,,, if you file it,,it will rub all over the front bearing area...

ac
Ok I won't touch nub on the rear of the SV flywheel. But to be clear I can also use the Octura 5mm Collet with the SV27 flywheel correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back