GORILLA GLUE !!!!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterbug

Hello everyone ... I am trying the Gorilla glue for the first time, and I like it for sheeting the foam parts to save weight over epoxy ...

It says to dampen one side of the wood or foam then apply a thin film of glue on the other side... Be careful and use a thin ,I sad thin film of glue !!! other than that , the only down fall is cure time 3-4 hours.... I'll take that over the quick cure 5 oz. of epoxy any day !!!

Just be ready with the bricks and weights and masking tape and be ready with paper towels for when it starts to foam out around the edges.... If you use a thin film it will be minimal oozing .....

My second WOF hull will be all CA and Gorilla glue and I'll see the weight difference between the two,,, I bet it will be at least 6 oz. lighter or more and on a tunnel that is a lot of weight !!!!!

Butch :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use probond same kinda glue what i like it sands easy takes stain easy to work with but dont get it on your hands hard to get off.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :angry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep !!!! It said do not get on hands !! Whats the first thing I did ,,I spread it with my finger... Out came the acetone and liked to rubbed the skin off !!!!!! :rolleyes:

Butch :lol:

Marty Slater said:
B)   roxyflash please tell me more about probond

marty B)

94129[/snapback]

probond is basicly identical to gorilla glue there both a polyurathane glue that u have to wet the wood and it will foam out. Word of caution with it make sure you have the thing ur gluing clamped preety good or it will spread alot.

Marty, if you want to try some probond and others like it let me know I have a couple of different kinds sitting around the house.

I reccommend using a 1'' chip brush and wet it and wet one side of the wood,, then wet the brush again and put a small amount of glue on the dry piece of wood and spread it very, very thin,, the less glue the better !!

One thing about it,, it does sand easy !!! I would not use it for transoms though ...

Other than that have at it and remember a little goes a long way !!!!!

Butch

Hi Builders.

At Power Surge Racing Products we use ProBond to glue the foam to the ply skins of the Villain S1. It expands and there for needs lots of clamping force to make a good bond. We trowel the glue very thin. We fixture the parts using indexing pins to hold the parts in place with lots of weight as our clamping force.

A few notes about the glue. I would be hesitant to use it in another area of the boats construction except laminating. The glue is hard to control and has a mind of its own.

Since switching to pro bond we have not had a single part failure of the center section in any way. During testing i poured acetone in a center section to check penetration and i was floored. The glue penetrated over 3/8" into the foam (white expanded bead).. Very impressive..

For pressure laminating, make mine Pro Bond!

Grim

The Gorilla glue dries heavy....I'd get the ProBond.
94216[/snapback]

hey yall ? why screw around with somthing else ? when you knoe the ol west system ( epoxy ) is still the best and the litest of all . i well remember yrs ago i built a 21 hydro to go to the nats with , he he the boat for the time was extremly fast , guese what , the damed glue let go about two weeks before the nats , so if you feel like putting all that time and effort into a boat , i may add , look at the label and make darned shure it says , water proof , not water resistant , god bless :p

james irwin said:
The Gorilla glue dries heavy....I'd get the ProBond.
94216[/snapback]

hey yall ? why screw around with somthing else ? when you knoe the ol west system ( epoxy ) is still the best and the litest of all . i well remember yrs ago i built a 21 hydro to go to the nats with , he he the boat for the time was extremly fast , guese what , the damed glue let go about two weeks before the nats , so if you feel like putting all that time and effort into a boat , i may add , look at the label and make darned shure it says , water proof , not water resistant , god bless :p

94269[/snapback]

James,

I was under the same impression until i did some testing. ProBond out performed west systems hands down under high pressure laminating. West systems performed with about the same integrity to foam as a good spray adhesive. ProBond smoked the competition.

Grim

I'm with Mike,, I wipe most of the glue off with a paper towel ... If I had used epoxy to laminate the wood to the foam I would have used 5-6 of the double tubed 15 minute epoxy's to do it !! 25 ml or I would guess 3 oz. per tube....TOO MUCH WEIGHT !!!

The Gorilla glue I have used at most 1/4 oz. Which do you think weighs the most ??????? And in JD's WOF hull everything is laminated foam !!!! The next time I am at Lowes I will get some pro bond and try it .... It's all urathane? glue ..

The second hull I'm building will be all Gorilla glue except gluing the center section and the sponsons to each other and I will see just how light it will be !!! The first one has 3 1/2 tubes of 15 minute epoxy in it in just the sponsons and the bottom of the center section !! I said to my self I am not putting no more epoxy in this boat !!

Butch ;)

I am a big fan of this glue as well. I have used it a lot for many different projects.

One word of caution. DO NOT use the lepages version. For some reason it always goes hard in the bottle at the halfway point. I' through a couple half full bottles away before giving up on it. :angry:

Hello,i think that the West System and the T-88 are the best epoxy for every works,they smell good,water and alcool proof,lot of time to work,and of course not heavy.Simply the bests,Yves.

Latest posts

Back