Going Back Now Merco 49 Black Streak, What Can U Tell Me

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Been around a long time but Merco 49 Black Streak?? I know it is a English engine but from there nothing. ABC, ringed, what type of porting if any, power, length of life, low nitro, no nitro, anything you can post here would help.

tnks Curt

Been around a long time but Merco 49 Black Streak?? I know it is a English engine but from there nothing. ABC, ringed, what type of porting if any, power, length of life, low nitro, no nitro, anything you can post here would help.

tnks Curt
To the best of my knowledge, this engine is not ABC or a ring engine. My Dad had a couple of these Merco .49 engines ( I still have one of these in the attic ) but it is not a "Black Streak" engine. They were well made, good running engines. I would suggest using fuel with no more than 10 to 15% nitro with some castor oil added. Good luck!

Dick Tyndall

tnks Curt

Curt I have 2 of the early black streak engines some where in my many boxes of stuff I have collected over the years, started with three engines but burnt one up using 40 percent nitro, the engines I have are multi chamber piston and head,

machined piston has a raised triangle on 1 side of the piston while the head has a relief triangle for the piston triangle to fit into it.Very simple cross flow porting, Not much power.

dick

tnks Curt

Curt I have 2 of the early black streak engines some where in my many boxes of stuff I have collected over the years, started with three engines but burnt one up using 40 percent nitro, the engines I have are multi chamber piston and head,

machined piston has a raised triangle on 1 side of the piston while the head has a relief triangle for the piston triangle to fit into it.Very simple cross flow porting, Not much power.

dick
Dick what sort of power would you say they have? Are they a ringed piston? So they are not schnurle ported! are they loop scavenged?

I had some Merco engines about 40 years ago. 10% t0 15% nitro was max. I could never get any power out of them. I could never get any rpm out of them.

Nicely made, good materials, but I could never get any performance.

Now, my Merco 60 sits on a shelf next to the other old engines I've kept.

Keep the nitro down and the oil content up.

If you read the above posts from Mr. Jones, Mr. Hobbs and I, we answer all of your questions. My suggestion would be to put the Merco away and get you a .40 or .45 size engine to do whatever you are going to do with it. Engines today would be lighter and have more power and you could gets parts if something should go wrong.

Dick Tyndall

Was looking at putting 2 of them in a white heat I have found from that era. Wood boat with a lot of history and would take some work to make it a twin. For this application I don't want a 22,000 rpm power house x 2. If this doesn''t pan out I have a couple of HB marine pdps that can do it.

My questions have not all been answered as there were SEVERAL versions of this engine. Sorry to disappoint you El Zorro!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Was looking at putting 2 of them in a white heat I have found from that era. Wood boat with a lot of history and would take some work to make it a twin. For this application I don't want a 22,000 rpm power house x 2. If this doesn''t pan out I have a couple of HB marine pdps that can do it.

My questions have not all been answered as there were SEVERAL versions of this engine. Sorry to disappoint you El Zorro!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Not disappointed at all, sir. Best of luck with what you are trying to do with 40 year old equipment. I will spend my time more wisely watching paint dry................. :D

Dick Tyndall

Latest posts

Back