Go Engines / Leyde Racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of research says the Techno will take a os 20J with no modifications is this correct Mark???
That is correct. It will also take a CMB, Novarosi, Axi Rossi, Go and Zoom carb. The bore in the case is 15mm.

Mark

Thank you Dave!

Let us know how it goes for you.

Mark
Ok, I finally got to go out this morning to run the GO. 7 port, 60% nitro, K&B 1L plug. My main aim was really to get the engine started and begin to loosen it up a bit, which was good because the water wasn't very kind to me; a bit too lumpy to have much fun with a .21 tunnel.

With fuel and extra lube in the engine, I was able to spin it over with the plug out. I didn't have access to power so I couldn't use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat up the case. So after about 10 or 20 seconds of plugless spinning, I tried spinning it over with the plug in a few threads. It would just lock at TDC, then I needed a spanner on the flywheel to bring the piston down again. No surprises really, as I knew the GO's were very tight. I finally found a method to get the engine running. I would get it spinning over with the starter with no plug, then keep it spinning, screw the plug in a few turns (which would certainly load the starter up but at least it would keep spinning), then I connected the glow driver to the glow plug, and after a few seconds it fired in to life.

Gee this thing sounds like it means business! Admittedly, I am comparing this with a healthy but relatively stock K&B (which ran the same SPP pipe). Defintely a lot louder, and even though it was running quite rich, it was a lot more responsive too. After maybe a minute of running on the start table, I threw it in the water. I have no water cooling connected at this stage, to keep plenty of heat in the engine.

Due to the water conditions, I wasn't really able to give it much of a squirt. I had it circulating at a fast idle, which was still a reasonable pace, but the few times that I was able to give the throttle a blip, I was VERY impressed. Great torque, almost instant response (a little laggy due to richness), it really accelerated well with about a 1 second burst of full throttle. This thing will be an animal when I get it more run in and get some better water. I backed off a bit far at one stage and it stopped (locked on TDC), but after a quick retrieval and a re-fuel, I sent it out again, and it was already better. I was able to circulate for about 5 minutes before bringing it in deliberately this time.

The wind then picked up again, so I just gave it a couple of minutes high idle on the start table, still plenty rich, but getting good heat in the engine. I'd consider the break in process begun, but I'm still a few litres of fuel away from being anywhere near its full potential.

So, it's going to be a quick engine indeed. Signs so far are that it's not lacking any torque at all, has great throttle response, is reliable, and I'm sure it will show plenty of power. Once again, great job Mark! I can't wait to get out again in some good water and report back in on the progress of the engine. A very successful first day out!

Regards,

Dave

DSC00283.JPG

DSC00284.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the report Dave. I am glad you like it so far. I am starting to think that the stock carb is working better than I thought it would.

I better get to making the next batch of cranks for these beasts. I only have six left.

Mark, I was just going to ask if you were using the stock carb. There is nothing wrong with going against the norm. It might actually increase the velocity entering the motor through the smaller throat size.

Guy's I will be placing another order to Tecnopower in about a week. If you need an engine, parts or turbo plugs. Please email me at Leyde Racing Products for prices.

Engines are $310.00 plus shipping

I have carbs for them they are $35.00 each

Thank you,

Mark

Guy's I will have Turbo head buttons for the Go .21 engines in a couple of weeks. They will be made so that the squish will measure .007" without any shims. Price is $27.50 shipped.

Thank you,

Mark

Mark,

What is the bowl volume, squish angle and squish % of bore of these head buttons? I have a few motors that could find these useful.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, They will have a volume of .19cc with a squish angle of 3 degrees. It will be pretty much a stock Go Turbo head button as far as the squish pecentage.

Pleae note: I can make these head buttons fit some other brands of .21 engines also. I would just need to know the model of engine and what you need the shoulder depth set to. Email me if you need more info.

Thanks Mark

Guy's I will be placing another order to Tecnopower in about a week. If you need an engine, parts or turbo plugs. Please email me at Leyde Racing Products for prices.

Engines are $310.00 plus shipping

I have carbs for them they are $35.00 each

Thank you,

Mark
Hi,please is possible to see the photo of this carburetor.

Thanks

Giuseppe - Italy

Tim, They will have a volume of .19cc with a squish angle of 3 degrees. It will be pretty much a stock Go Turbo head button as far as the squish pecentage.

Pleae note: I can make these head buttons fit some other brands of .21 engines also. I would just need to know the model of engine and what you need the shoulder depth set to. Email me if you need more info.

Thanks Mark

I like the bowl dimensions and would like to try a turbo head. will they fit a Nova 5-port?

If so what is the material and finish?

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks Mark

I like the bowl dimensions and would like to try a turbo head. will they fit a Nova 5-port?

If so what is the material and finish?

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff, yes they will fit a 5 port Nova. They are the same aluminum as the Nova head button with a bright finish.

Thanks,

Mark

Here is a picture for you Giuseppe.

100_0567.jpg

Ok well I finally got another chance to run the GO outboard. It has been a frustrating wait with several abandoned attempts due to weather and fishermen. Finally I got to go out this evening.

I walked away from the experience saying "WOW!". It has started to loosen up now, and get to the exciting phase. I probably put around 4-5 tanks through it this session. The first couple were still on the well-rich side, but I'm not running any water cooling so still getting lots of heat in to the motor. The last couple of tanks I was slowly leaning the mixture a bit, but still being very safe. When the mixture got in to a good region, coupled with the piston getting a better fit, it really started to take off. Down-wind, (wind around 5mph), the first half of the straight would be quick, but nothing I hadn't seen in my very healthy K&B, but then it would kick in to another gear, and really start to get up and go with the revs climing a lot. I couldn't stay on the throttle for long as I had to turn, but it was exciting nonetheless. Up-wind, was a different story (in a good way!). The hull had that bit more lift due to the head wind, so the prop was already a bit more unloaded. Even at half throttle the boat was going as quick as it went downwind, and the few times I was game to give it full throttle, it just leapt forward and accelerated so rapidly! That had me smiling.

I've got a lot more setup to work on hull and prop wise. This was running with a reduced diameter Prather 220, so probably a little too much prop for it, or slightly too deep. But I'll keep testing with this prop as it's going to be very quick!

I am still on the same K&B 1L glow plug right from the beginning, so it's looking after plugs well.

Thanks again Mark for doing this for us - it's a pity it'll be a wait until the next batch of cranks are available!

I'll keep posting my results from further testing. At the moment I am grinning from ear to ear.

Cheers,

Dave

After running both the 5 & 7 port I have to say the Stock carb and needle work very well. .312 bore is plenty and easy to throttle. Tried a larger TOP's carb .360 but it was hard to tune. Actually running so well with the stock carb we got frustrated with the larger one and just put it back on. Will try a Zoom next.

Mic

After running both the 5 & 7 port I have to say the Stock carb and needle work very well. .312 bore is plenty and easy to throttle. Tried a larger TOP's carb .360 but it was hard to tune. Actually running so well with the stock carb we got frustrated with the larger one and just put it back on. Will try a Zoom next.

Mic
I totally agree Mic, the stock carb seems to be working perfectly. I've cut both the low speed and high speed needles and am running third channel mixture. Throttle response is great and it doesn't seem to be lacking anything on the top end as yet. Very tractable and reliable.

Agree the stock carb works great just watch the seals long term as they don't like the nitro content we run, they may of changed them on the later engines. I'm run OS 20D on my inboard also with great results. Have to also agree on the tightness of the 7P took about 5L of fuel before mine loosen up, it's a great little engine.

Dave, question are you running the stock head button ?

Cheers,

G'day Craig,

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye on the seals as I go. As far as I'm aware it's the stock head button, but I had Mark bring the head clearance down to .008".

Cheers,

Dave

Guy's I have one TecnoPower M01 OB powerhead that I tore down to inspected. It is now back together. I will sell this NEW unused engine for the special price of $285 shipped. I will also include a new carb for it.

Back