Glow plug question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Sturgis

Hey Guys Can someone tell me the difference between the Odonnel Blue Glow plugs (which are used for high nitro) and the O donnel #89 glow plug which are for boats using high nitro. The #89 plugs are $2.00 more each. Do they hold up better? Are they worth the extra money? Will they work better in a OPS 67 using 50% ? Any feedback would be great. Thanks Chuck

Tuned Pipes if they are working well tend to pull on the wire filament so the 89's are a little tougher. Thats my thinking :rolleyes:

Are they worth the extra money??? thats a good question. Get them from phils and maybe money won't be the issue.

I will be posting MC-9's for around $5 per plug next week.

Tim

JE Products

Hey Guys Can someone tell me the difference between the Odonnel Blue Glow plugs (which are used for high nitro) and the O donnel #89 glow plug which are for boats using high nitro. The #89 plugs are $2.00 more each. Do they hold up better? Are they worth the extra money? Will they work better in a OPS 67 using 50% ? Any feedback would be great. Thanks Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we stop with the cold plugs are for "High Nitro" bit,, its just not true,, come on,, It's givin' me an ulcer :(

Chuck; The OD blue is a sport plug,it has a conventional stem seal. The OD 89 is a high-performance plug that has a mechanical stem seal that will not leak. J.ODonnell

a cold plug will tend to have a more retarded ignition timing where as the hot can advance the ignition timing,,, more heat faster fire,,,no?? just like a hot and cold spark plug... this is my take on the difference/ definition of a hot and cold plug...

lol... u kill me dubs,,, ulcers,,, its not the plug talk,, its all that plumbing u do....lol....

ac

Funny that Jack mentions the stem seal in the blues - I had one of the blues blow the stem seal yesterday in my 21 rigger just as I passed the driver's stand at full noise. It sounded like I blew a hole in the piston or shot the plug out of the head.......... :blink:

Thankfully the motor was fine and it was just the plug, and happened during a test run (not in a heat race).

Funny that Jack mentions the stem seal in the blues - I had one of the blues blow the stem seal yesterday in my 21 rigger just as I passed the driver's stand at full noise. It sounded like I blew a hole in the piston or shot the plug out of the head..........
blink.gif

Thankfully the motor was fine and it was just the plug, and happened during a test run (not in a heat race).

Don't feel like you're all alone Tim- blew a stem seal out of a MC 9 today, Turned another Blue and am still looking for one that left the head button.

Glenn

Can we stop with the cold plugs are for "High Nitro" bit,, its just not true,, come on,, It's givin' me an ulcer :(
What would the correct application/definition be for a "Cold Plug" vs a "Hot Plug"?

Robert
Which has a higher flash temp, nitro or methanol? nitro right? Other factors come into play, large engines generate

more heat than small displacement engines. High compression generates more heat than lower compression.

There are many different factors that will determine plug heat range is what I'm getting at. Its not a fixed "high nitro",

"cold plug" sorta deal, its just not.

Anyone happen to know what the O'Donnell plug would be a good substitute for the Novarossi #6 Turbo plugs?

Sorry for side tracking the thread but it seems a good place to ask!

Anyone happen to know what the O'Donnell plug would be a good substitute for the Novarossi #6 Turbo plugs?

Sorry for side tracking the thread but it seems a good place to ask!
Tim; Dave Marles in England is having good success with the OD-99T in his boats. Regards, J.ODonnell

Somebody had an informative post on the plug dynamics they published.... am i'm thinking Marty D, or Callahan...... it was a link that read into catylyst on the element etc,and basically glow plug, and what actually goes on in there, that would spin your mind....... somebody find it....

J dub has the factor thing exactly right.... for, its all the factors coming toghther that produce expected/unexpected results...... whats going on in the world, with those of us less motor ingrained, myself included..... is, a novice guy, like me, gets him, the newest bestest marine engine out there.... i'm gonna throw the highest nitro at it i can get in it.... so i get the speed, i need, and burn plugs like theyre candy. so, i'll search a tougher one.... well, OK. i'm eating dozens a year..... maybe eat a motor or two, in the process..... not necessarily the state i'm in,by far, but, i see it...... alot.

Gordon Jenning's book, ' Two stroke engine tuner" will and has enlightened me to some extent, and i'd recommend it to guys wondering about the combination of factors building up to the micro sized explosions we all seek....

Basically applying motorcycle 2 stroke engine THEORY to micro engine THEORY and the parameters are much the same.......

Current state of motor knowledge lacks to the point we rely on serious guys,( if you afford it at times)... Orlic, Wood, Wyss, Geraghty, Davis, Ackerman, and beyond. I've had good luck with Stanton racing engines and his theory...... everyone is running sombodies THEORY on that particular displacement engine, and through the sweat, and parts box carnage they have all incurred, we, sort of get to reap the benefits..... my hats off..... for sure......

Glow plug post, and here it goes..... Motor's eating plugs......( stock, new, tight, and, hopefully a clearance set).... tommy toenails, and me run to the shim box, ( least I do).... I might, throw a 2 thousandth in and see..... changing the compression ratio too..... of which, i dont know where its at, of course..... but, surely if the center's gone and black hole something is wrong, right?...... rarely, for me, but i see it all the time..... Had a guy, just yesterday, brings his 7.5 outboards down to test, ask of help, man goes through any plug instantly..... on 30%...... rebuilt himself...... clearance on both was, 9 and 10, respectively....... ummm like i kinda was around 17,and been down to 14.... my best thought....... motors ran and kept the plug what little time he spent with us........ i got lucky..... that was my theory...... he sure was happier, and while i was nervous, for the caliper he had was junk, it worked, and I used what i had available. ( shims).... Custom buttons, volume and squish, angles and what, are in my knowledge a little, for most they are not..... help us... and please dont look down because we dont catch on quickly enough..... 4000 guys on here want to learn........ i do.

Here's the best advice, i'll ever have, and it's READ that plug..... it will tell the story....... the plug link, if somebody will step up the plate..... will show you....... shiny:rich, frosted and grey, good, maybe even pulled out a little with a good scavenging pipe..... smashed, burnt, gone, lean,.... maybe i erred pushing that boat, once..... again, and i'm searching clearance, maybe a smaller prop, and other factors........ Every boat is different, because men are men... throwing out their theories...... search different heat range plugs, and try them, for your motor/fuel, pipe/prop boat..... it'll happen. there is no standard........ thats what i see.......

Theory:.... turbo plugs rock..... yes they do..... well, years have gained me, that the coldest 8's nova makes do not like my platform...... i dont use but have, ultra high nitro mixes.....and the 8's worked well.... reliable start, idle and no effect, ding, burnt whatever...... good run...... switching to 7's and ultimately 6's proved the difference, hands down...... just my particular combination in a 21 hydro, over time, and i found it..... maybe, 3 plugs a year if i get stupid...... turbo guys, try it...... I still read them as i do any other plug......and sure i spent a little money in plugs learning, but the end result with a consistent running engine was worth it........ knowledge, on the fact it takes extra voltage to heat them up, is a factor involved..... Novarossi if I'm not mistaken came out with a new ultra plug, i'm anxious to test..... they have coated the element with whatever and it's setting the car world on fire....... Sticker shock got me, but i'm gonna try a few........ like get a job......

Show your results..... please. If, the Odonnell's hang tough and they work for a given theory, lets hear it..... I'm on Mccoy's currently, and while on the edge, of taking a plug for performance, any manufacture comes up with a better theory on how to tame a miniature explosion 400 times a second, serious pressures and heat, and still be good, I'll buy one....... till then, keep testing.

J dub.... thanks for posting, maybe stimulate interest.... teach us...... and yes... i did stay at the Holiday Inn last night..... mike

Tim;

Dave Marles in England is having good success with the OD-99T in his boats.

Regards, J.ODonnell
Thank you Jack,

I'll get some shortly to try.

Tim.

PS Has anyone experimented with altering the boost transfer port angles in order to get better life out of plugs?

PS Has anyone experimented with altering the boost port angle in order to get better life out of plugs?
I've altered some 3 dozen TT boost ports and I would bet I did 36 of'm differnt :lol: With a dremel

and a diamond barrel there's going to be some variations :p

I can say I've had excellent longevity with turbo plugs in a equally excellent engine

such as a O/B converted O.S.VZ-M on 30-40% nitro. In my opinion that engine

has the most perfect timings and port arrangment of any O/B powerhead that I've had in my hands,,, once you get rid of that big carb anyway :D Tim will love that.

Tim;

Dave Marles in England is having good success with the OD-99T in his boats.

Regards, J.ODonnell
Thank you Jack,

I'll get some shortly to try.

Tim.

PS Has anyone experimented with altering the boost port angle in order to get better life out of plugs?

tim,

i run odonnel 97turbo plugs in my novas and they last forever, hope this helps
Thanks Martin,

That does help - all feedback is good! You are running a Frank Orlic head and jacket on your motor, yeah?

yes tim, franks water jacket is on all my novas, some of his buttons and some nova buttons that are just a shade bigger volume than his, the plugs work good in them all for me..

Back