Gasser Engine , Clutch or direct drive

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Mylonas

Gidday Guys,

could someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of both systems on a gasser engine..

Thank you

Cheers Paul.....

Direct drive :

Advantages:

instant responce to throdle , less weight , smaller footprint in hull, no waterpump needed , less moving parts.

Disadvantages : boat is always moving forward in the water while motor is running, prop is always spinning while motor is running

Clutched Adv No prop rotation at idle. easyer to launch

Dia advantages heavyer , more moving parts , needs a waterpump, largerfootprint

Just a fast run down.

Thank you Thomas .

So would the rotational mass of the clutch be the biggest difference when it comes to performance ..

Thank you Thomas .
So would the rotational mass of the clutch be the biggest difference when it comes to performance ..

Now this maybe because of a cheap clutch but. In my brothers Proboat 1/8 scale Miss LLumar hydro. The clutch would slip in the turns when the prop started to load the motor.

That was going to be my next Question, does the clutch make a difference when turning or backing off the throttle to wash off speed before a corner...

with the current 260 gas motors from zenoah the torque is strong enough to launch it without any problems .. the clutch is a cool thing . but slipping is a problem and direct drive gives you also a direct acceleration ... i would never use a clutch ..

Jeroen

(i build about 15 gasboats , never used a clutch )

just to add here...you do not HAVE to have a waterpump in a clutched boat. Just do not let it sit and idle for more then 20-30 seconds at a time without a pump. Waterpumps are move restrictive when at speed then having a line straight from pickup to the cylinder.

just to add here...you do not HAVE to have a waterpump in a clutched boat. Just do not let it sit and idle for more then 20-30 seconds at a time without a pump. Waterpumps are move restrictive when at speed then having a line straight from pickup to the cylinder.
That is true yet in a play boat sometimes people get talking to you on shore and it is better to be safe than sorry , would hate to burn out a motor talking to people about the boat.

Could have both with a dual pickup.

With some of the super hulls (65 in + ) it might be better to have a clutch if you are by yourself and want to run.

It's hard enough to launch a 16 inch wide cat with a hatch by yourself while holding the radio .

Hey Paul~

I have a Pro Boat 1/8 hydro that Iv'e been modifing. I ditched the clutch and water pump for all reasons noted above. A square drive flex collett will screw right on c/s and stock cable will reach. I have shed over 1lb aft of the c/g and noticed more lift at wot. Launching will require a brave friend! I used the third channel on the radio as a remote kill switch. Letting the boat idle in from 50' brings the operating temp down before you shut it off. Idling a 2 stroke loads up the plug. These mods increased peformance, handling, and overall top speed.

I blew two clutches and had a water pump quit. Result..new engine. Go direct drive~streamline the cooling system.

newbie~Jeff

i got a 73" cat with twin mod g260's in it and no clutches and its a very easy boat run

belt start counter rotating one motor i wouldnt wast the time on clutches

cheers

Latest posts

Back