Gas Scale hydro builds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buddy my motor will be here tomorrow Carls will be next week. If ya need to use it call me and come get it. Still gluing bottom on

Phil

The cowlings came in today and they look good! Thanks!
OK great. i have not got mine close enough to get the cowl fitted.

Get the center decks done and the rear cowl deck then check how it fits the deck line and make a 1/16 ply base plate to glue the cowl to, I had a 1/8 wide lip on my first one.

You can use some 1/4 square glued to the bottom of the base to locate the cowl on the engine well.

Maybe make a couple bulkheads in the rear part to stiiffen it up some. I had some o ring cowl hold downs installed on my boat.

Oh Baby got the motor and cowl taking shape now,bottom is done and this boat will NOT need a belly pan.

How far are we going to take this power deal on these boats? Trying or thinking about racing at 70 mph is way over board. It is a scale class supposed to help on costs of nitro scale but if we do not get a handle on engine displacement it will get out of hand. Please please guys lets think about this. I do not want to run 70 mph like sport gas that class is out of hand and this new class is teetering on the same. We will have crash em up derbies and people with have upset feelings. We do not need to go that fast to make it a good class. So I ask again lets please please think about this.

The modded motors are used by the Northwest club for need extra power for the heavier hulls. If this 30 will run unmodded thats a good deal. My boat with a CC promod Zen motor only saw 64mph.

Most of the T boats have run 55-60+ with the stock 26 Zen and they race ok. I would think some scale roundnose boats with the mod motors would have an advantage if setup well.

How far are we going to take this power deal on these boats? Trying or thinking about racing at 70 mph is way over board. It is a scale class supposed to help on costs of nitro scale but if we do not get a handle on engine displacement it will get out of hand. Please please guys lets think about this. I do not want to run 70 mph like sport gas that class is out of hand and this new class is teetering on the same. We will have crash em up derbies and people with have upset feelings. We do not need to go that fast to make it a good class. So I ask again lets please please think about this.
Below is the rule proposal that the PNWTA club has submitted to NAMBA District Eight for adoption-

Marty

I wanted to give everyone an update on what's been going on with PNWTA and the Gas Scale Hydro Class. For the last three years we have been running the class in the Seattle area and have used the NAMBA GX-1 engine class as our engine choice. After much discussion we have decided to modify the PNWTA rules and our NAMBA proposal to include G and GX class engines up to a maximum 31cc displacement. The reason for this change is due to the new low cost 36mm piston engines being introduced by the manufactures. We chose the 31cc maximum to allow these new motors, including 2mm stroker cranks to run in the class but will allow us to keep the $2000.00 plus 35cc exotic engines from being used. With input from NAMBA, we wrote the proposal below so it can be voted on at a national level and be inserted in the NAMBA rulebook as written - Just to be clear we are only submitting the below proposal to NAMBA District Eight at this time and then it will be up the the District Director to move it on to NAMBA for a national vote.

Please contact me if you have any questions on this proposal.

Marty Shallenberger

NAMBA National Scale Chairman

www.pnwta.org

D. SPECIALTY CLASSES

GAS SCALE UNLIMITED HYDROPLANE

Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane racing rules are intended as a supplement to the general racing rules of NAMBA. In the case of a conflict, the Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane racing rules will prevail.

Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane racing will follow Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Section #21 with the exception of the following.

HULL SPECIFICATIONS

1. All boats will be models of past or present Unlimited Hydroplanes that are listed on the Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster. The true scale dimensions of any Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane will be derived from the unlimited dimensions listed on the Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster.

2. Boats are to be built on a scale of 1.80 inches equals 1 foot of the actual boat (1/6.67 Scale).

3. Boats will measure within the following tolerances of the true scale size,

excluding appendages.

a. Overall Length ……………………………... ± 1.25 inches

b. Beam…………………………………….……± 12%

c. Maximum Depth……………………………...± 10%

d. Afterplane Length (three point design)….……± 10%

e. Tunnel Width…………………………………± 10%

4. Motor belly pan for motor and flywheel only. If applicable, the dimensions will not exceed five inches in width, nine inches in length, and one inch in depth. The belly pan can not exceed the depth of any riding surface or recovery surface. If the real boat had a full length belly pan, the model must conform.

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

G or GX Class engines from 15 to 31 cubic centimeters

Marty

Last edited by a moderator:
Don this motor cost $355.00 with the mounts,a far cry from $500+ from a modded 260. If Phil has a Pro Mod its cost is around $700. My way allows me to mod and stay under $500 if needed.

I understand what you are saying about price on the type of motor you have Mike. But whats to stop someone from getting a, lets say M&D cast engine full mod still under the 31 displacement? This can and will get out of hand some people have deep pockets and will shell out the bucks to win at all costs. When I first saw this class come together I thought it would be a fair and cost effective way to run scale. I am sorry to write my concern on here but I have talked to many people interested about getting into the class, but they and I feel it is going the wrong direction. I write this with the most humble of respect to Marty and all that have worked so hard to make this work. However it is hard for me to answers question posed by interested people about the class. So I am asking, and the main opinion for all was speed. Not that they wanted more speed but all felt anything over 60 was way to much. Please Marty, Mike, and Phil I am not trying to be rude or be an a$$... just would like to know what is going on and be able to return some answer to myself and those interested in the class.

Thanks Don McKay

Last edited by a moderator:
We beat this topic to death and the majority think the new 30 cc motors are the way to go. I pointed out that this motor is probably the one to get. We just got back a 30 cc Zenoah after some serious testing and racing. The short rod seems to be very hard on the wrist pin bore and the rod big end bearing. RCMK enthusiasts say their engine is better. We'll see.

Lohring Miller

Don this motor cost $355.00 with the mounts,a far cry from $500+ from a modded 260. If Phil has a Pro Mod its cost is around $700. My way allows me to mod and stay under $500 if needed.
I traded for that CC motor so dont have the cash in it Im for cheaper and fast too. The quickdraw is not in the cheaper range for sure.

Sorry can't help adding my 2 cents worth, but I would have thought the current thunderboat class rules provide the entry level class, for people to get into cheaply and quickly to learn their race craft and boat set-up.

This new class, has the makings of being a "true" unlimited class. We all know that the boat with the fastest engine doesn't always win races, so I hardly think thta the class will be come dominated by check book racers.

The 31 cc cap with "unlimited" mods and engine choices is a good thing for this class and captures the spirti of the real thing nicely, IMHO.

Latest posts

Back