Gas Scale hydro builds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mike,

I had mentioned the lack of engine displacement specified in PNWTA Rules to Marty a while back. This is the only set of proposed rules tht I have seen. I thought we were all working from these:

PNWTA SCALE HYDROPLANE RULES

These rules are subject to change after feedback from the advisory board. Please contact us prior to buying or building any boat that you intend to run in this class.

All boats shall be models of past or present ABRA unlimited hydroplanes that are listed on the PNWTA Master Hull Roster.

Boats shall be built to a scale of 1.8 inch (model) equals1 foot (actual unlimited) or 1/6.667 scale.

Boats shall measure within the following tolerance of true scale size, excluding appendages:

a. Overall Length: + or – 1.25 inch

b. Overall Width: + or – 12 %

c. Hull Depth + or – 10 %

d. Afterplane Length (three point design) + or – 10 %

e. Tunnel Width: + or – 10 %

The true dimensions of any boat shall be derived from the dimensions listed on the PNWTA Master Hull Roster.

Boats shall be painted, configured and detailed like the actual unlimited. The acquisition of proof validating a paint scheme, cowling configuration, engine configuration or other scale details shall be the responsibility of the boat’s owner. Photographs of the boat in the water may constitute proof.

Kid next door just pulled a Corvette engine out of his Camaro. I'm thinkin; I can "shoe horn" that engine into a 1.667 Scale hull - - Har, Har !!! Crap - - Then I won't be able to run it in 5 Liter Hydro.

Merry Christmas Mike. Am I going to see you in Charleston in May ??? CHEERS !!! Bob

Hi Bob- Looks like we never connected on the engine rules for the " Gas Scale Hydro" class. We have had the rules posted for two years on the club information page of the PNWTA website. The PNWTA advisory board has submitted the following to NAMBA District Eight for approval. After the rules have been adopted at the district level it can move on to a NAMBA National vote next year. We have put a lot of effort into getting the rules right before submitting for a vote so we don't run into the same problems that other classes have had with incomplete rules.

We have found that the NAMBA GX-1 engine rules ( not sure how that compares to IMPBA rules ) runs the boats at comparable speeds to the 1/8 nitro hulls and allows the builder to modify the engine as long as they stay within the displacement rules. We are very excited that so many people have decided to build hulls using PNWTA specifications - If any one wants to follow what we are doing with the class please register on the PNWTA web site as we send out updates to members and it gives you access to the message board where you can ask and get questions answered by members that have been running the class or find out who is selling/buying hulls and information on where you can get cowling's and hulls that fit the class from the manufactures ..

Marty Shallenberger

www.PNWTA.org

D. SPECIALTY CLASS

GAS SCALE UNLIMITED HYDROPLANE

Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane racing rules are intended as a supplement to the general racing rules of NAMBA. In the case of a conflict, the Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane racing rules will prevail.

Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane racing will follow Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Section #21 with the exception of the following.

HULL SPECIFICATIONS

1. All boats will be models of past or present Unlimited Hydroplanes that are listed on the Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster. The true scale dimensions of any Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane will be derived from the unlimited dimensions listed on the Gas Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster.

2. Boats are to be built on a scale of 1.80 inches equals 1 foot of the actual boat (1/6.67 Scale).

3. Boats will measure within the following tolerances of the true scale size,

excluding appendages.

a. Overall Length ……………………………... ± 1.25 inches

b. Beam…………………………………….……± 12%

c. Maximum Depth……………………………...± 10%

d. Afterplane Length (three point design)….……± 10%

e. Tunnel Width…………………………………± 10%

4. Engine belly pan for engine and flywheel only. If applicable, the dimensions will not exceed five inches in width, nine inches in length, and one inch in depth. The belly pan can not exceed the depth of any riding surface or recovery surface. If the real boat had a full length belly pan, the model must conform.

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

G-1 or GX-1 engine from 15 to 25.99 cubic centimeters.

Hey Mike,

I had mentioned the lack of engine displacement specified in PNWTA Rules to Marty a while back. This is the only set of proposed rules tht I have seen. I thought we were all working from these:

PNWTA SCALE HYDROPLANE RULES

These rules are subject to change after feedback from the advisory board. Please contact us prior to buying or building any boat that you intend to run in this class.

All boats shall be models of past or present ABRA unlimited hydroplanes that are listed on the PNWTA Master Hull Roster.

Boats shall be built to a scale of 1.8 inch (model) equals1 foot (actual unlimited) or 1/6.667 scale.

Boats shall measure within the following tolerance of true scale size, excluding appendages:

a. Overall Length: + or – 1.25 inch

b. Overall Width: + or – 12 %

c. Hull Depth + or – 10 %

d. Afterplane Length (three point design) + or – 10 %

e. Tunnel Width: + or – 10 %

The true dimensions of any boat shall be derived from the dimensions listed on the PNWTA Master Hull Roster.

Boats shall be painted, configured and detailed like the actual unlimited. The acquisition of proof validating a paint scheme, cowling configuration, engine configuration or other scale details shall be the responsibility of the boat’s owner. Photographs of the boat in the water may constitute proof.

Kid next door just pulled a Corvette engine out of his Camaro. I'm thinkin; I can "shoe horn" that engine into a 1.667 Scale hull - - Har, Har !!! Crap - - Then I won't be able to run it in 5 Liter Hydro.

Merry Christmas Mike. Am I going to see you in Charleston in May ??? CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Merry Christmas Mike. Am I going to see you in Charleston in May ??? CHEERS !!! Bob Maybe Hot Lanta but cant swing Charleston yet...

As Marty has replied the engine specs are NAMBA GX-1. I will try and cover most of the ??? above. My U-95 build is all 1/16 ply except the tunnel and the engine rails which are 1/8". The sponson backs and transom are laminated 1/8" to get 1/4". I also added some cloth to the mix in the center section of the hull to add the required strength for the stuffing box. I mounted the strut from the inside of the transom for the strength and to keep the from adding doublers to the bottom. (adding wieght). The hull is all open and some blue foam was added to the sponsons for floatation. Up here in the D-8 area we generally tow the boats back to the shore in the event they go dead. Easier on the old back when they are full of water. This class has really taken off this year. 4/5 of these things on the water is a site to see. R/C U will be hosting 4/5 events with the gas scale class as will UNW with the NW Championship at the end of the season. Watch the web sites for updates. Once we get dates confirmed they will be posted on the PNWTA site. Good luck with all these builds. Merry Christmas. John

Bob You have foam on the brain. HA

Thanks I think I will not use 1/8th and just use 1/16th on the afterplane sides. The framework supports the 1/16th bottoms ok, I double up with 1/8th at the transom for the strut mounts.

I have started a thread on the Pacific Northwest Thunderboat Association Message Board to post "Gas Scale Hydro" items that you have for sale. This is for everyone to use free of charge to promote items that you manufacture for the class or any item that you have for sale that can be used in building or rigging a "Gas Scale Hydro" Please do not post items that are not Gas Scale Hydro related..

To get to the message board go here http://www.pnwta.org...board/index.php

You will need to be registered on the clubs web site to use this forum / message board...

Marty

www.pnwta.org

Hey Marty,

This is where I copied and pasted the rules this AM http://www.pnwta.org/scale.php - right off the club web page - I thought. I will burn the set you attached here and attach to my Proposal pages so we'll all still be on the same page. Do I have the Club web site wrong, or has it just not been updated??

That is why I contacted Al and yourself a while back. Hell, I sent a copy to the guy here that was planning to put a twin in one of these beasties - I'll send him the ones you posted today. I know how much work you guys have put into this, much like the effort the Greeds put into Classic Thunderboats.

I have been pointing to your rules as a guideline, so we will not attempt to recreate the wheel - Again - within the two Sanctioning bodies. You know - - follow the K.I.S.S. Principle for a change. I run under both Sanctions Marty so I have an interest in getting it right the first time also.

Prsently,this section of Texas is NAMBA - I think we have a mixed bag further West. Thank you for the correction, I appreciate it. CHEERS !!! Bob

John - Thank you, I appreciate the info.

Mike, I hadn't even considered HOTlanta. Last I saw Bellinger was having to rent a driver and provide his back up Scale boat to Doug to even have a few Scale boats to race. Rick has been nagging me to make it up to Evansville/Hobart to race with you guys for the past year or so - maybe will do that one of these light years. Does Indiana have good Bar-B-Q and a sufficient supply of Jamaican rum for Rick and I to be there at the same time??? Har, Har !!! Phil did come to Reserve, LA - but he ran off before Scale day - - Sheered I recon !!! Ate all the food and hauled Arse !!! Har, Har !!!

Phil, Just trying to bring you into the current Century with this new fangled stuff we call Styrofoam. Wonderful stuff!!!

CHEERS !!! Bob

For those building the T-6 or other boats from the T-6 gas framing kit,there is no reinforcement from the rear of the sponsons to the transom.I found I could slightly squeeze or spread the tub.I added a u shaped 3/32 frame at bulkhead #4 which added quite a bit of stiffness.Like Phil did ,I glued a doubler to the tunnel forward of the transom to give extra reinforcement to the strut.I used 3/32 5 ply for the tunnel bottom and sponson bottoms.Am using 1/16 for the deck and afterframe sides.After doing this,I believe because of the narrow pieces on the sponson bottoms I would go with 1/16,but stay with 3/32 on the tunnel bottom.Looks like Phil made his 1/2" engine mount spacers out of ply.I tried to find longer vibration isolaters,but could not.I made my spacers from a 1 1/4"dia.hardwood dowel,drilled through the center with 1/4" tee nuts behind the ply tub sidewalls.I have also added a 1/2" triangular stick at the bottom corners of the tub to allow sanding a scale radius without losing the corner glue joint.

I don't want to get into a discussion on whether a wood boat will float if busted up,but I wrecked a wood Thunderboat a few years ago which had foam inside the sponsons,and stayed on top of the water after the wreck.I have a hot wire foam cutter and will fit foam blocks inside the sponsons before attaching the decking.

Looking forward to getting this thing wet.

Harvey

Hey Marty,

This is where I copied and pasted the rules this AM http://www.pnwta.org/scale.php - right off the club web page - I thought. I will burn the set you attached here and attach to my Proposal pages so we'll all still be on the same page. Do I have the Club web site wrong, or has it just not been updated??

That is why I contacted Al and yourself a while back. Hell, I sent a copy to the guy here that was planning to put a twin in one of these beasties - I'll send him the ones you posted today. I know how much work you guys have put into this, much like the effort the Greeds put into Classic Thunderboats.

I have been pointing to your rules as a guideline, so we will not attempt to recreate the wheel - Again - within the two Sanctioning bodies. You know - - follow the K.I.S.S. Principle for a change. I run under both Sanctions Marty so I have an interest in getting it right the first time also.

Prsently,this section of Texas is NAMBA - I think we have a mixed bag further West. Thank you for the correction, I appreciate it. CHEERS !!! Bob
Bob- That was just a brief overview of the rules - There is a full set of racing rules for the PNWTA club at..

http://www.pnwta.org/editor_upload/File/PNWTA%20Rules%202011.pdf

Marty,

Thank you very much. I have saved the full set of rules to my Gas Scale Folder and now feel armed to provide good info to anyone that asks. Looks like I just didn't have the right page to look at. I also registered and received confirmation and password so I can view the message board also. JWO has been trying to keep me honest also. Thanks guys - I appreciate it.

Looks like I'm running out of excuses to not build one. I have room out back for a Hangar - - should be about the right size. Al told me he went to a smaller CT than the Greed he had because of excessive shipping costs. Guess I'll have to pay closer attention to his write ups on how to outfit a proper Boat trailer - Har, Har !!! He had the ice maker, but he neglected to consider proper storage for Jamaican Rum !!! He's too quiet these days. Obviously he needs some Proding !!!!

CHEERS !!! Bob

I have glued some frames and doublers. Next step is my jig then im going to get serious about this monsta. pics later...Buddy is way ahead of me as usual

Im slow crude and think more than I glue. This is a mock up after gluing outboard frames and doublers. Notice pic 4 I let the slow West tack then mixed up some ground glass to filet the joints. I like the frame fit as I used a small brass prop hammer to set the frames into place Speedy Blue has bones

Now Mikey, I have a little more time to play with boats than you do. I am really not that much ahead of you. We need to order wood for the bottom and some for the skins or I be at a standstill in about 2 days. I think this boat needs a 3/32 or 1/8 inch bottom. After removing frame 4 there won't be much holding it together, just the transom and the bullnose.

Buddy

So Mikey wil have a Speedy blue, What are the other 82U55 boats planned to be painted as?

I have the Miss Houston blue and red paint scheme decals from Wes.

Hey Phil, How are you going to do the bottom from frame 5 to the bullnose? The front of the engine stringers are lower than frame 6 and continue to get deeper all the way to the front of the boat.

Buddy

I think the dash line is the bottom line to follow. The engine well part looks like he meant to have the deeper belly pan all the way across the 6 inches. I am cutting this off but making a gentle curved line up to the front. I will add a belly pan under the motor.

I think the dash line is the bottom line to follow. The engine well part looks like he meant to have the deeper belly pan all the way across the 6 inches. I am cutting this off but making a gentle curved line up to the front. I will add a belly pan under the motor.

That's what Mike and I were thinking.

I am planning on doing mine in the orange, white and yellow Speedy once Buddy gets it built.

Carl....

Latest posts

Back